Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Nov 2014, 08:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Points A, B, and C lie on a circle of radius. What is the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
CEO
CEO
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 274 [0], given: 4

Points A, B, and C lie on a circle of radius. What is the [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2007, 05:42
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

100% (01:52) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 42 sessions
Points A, B, and C lie on a circle of radius 1. What is the area of triangle ABC?

(1) ab^2= bc^2 + ac^2
(2) angle CAB equals 30 degrees

This question is discussed here: if-points-a-b-and-c-lie-on-a-circle-of-radius-1-what-is-84423.html and here if-points-a-b-and-c-lie-on-a-circle-of-radius-1-what-is-111134.html

Last edited by Bunuel on 17 Jul 2012, 02:21, edited 2 times in total.
TOPIC LOCKED.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2007, 07:18
To my mind, from the data given we can only say what is the area of this triangle in terms of R (radius), but we won't be able to get a number in the answer. So my answer is E. Is it right?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 28

Re: Points A, B, and C lie on a circle of radius. What is the [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2012, 15:56
My answer is (E)

1) statement 1 tells us the triangle MUST BE a RIGHT TRIANGLE because it follows the equations ab^2= bc^2 + ac^2 , with ab as the hypotunuse of the circle. Because we know the triangle is a right triangle, inscribed in a circle, then the hyptonuse, ab, MUST BE the diameter. But this doesn't tell us anything about the length of the the sides. Hence, insufficient.

2) Tells us that one of the angles is 30 degrees . Thats not much of help, because its not necessary that any of the sides be the diameter and therefore, we cannot derive any information about the radius. Not to mention, even if we had known one of the sides as the diamter, an therefore a right triangle, making a 30-60-90 triangle, we know the proporations of the angles nothing about the length of the sides. This is not sufficient.

(1) & (2) We know the triangle is a right triangle and of the sides is a 30*. But we don't anything about the sides. Hence, insufficient.

Can someone double check my work. Thank you!
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.71
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Points A, B, and C lie on a circle of radius. What is the [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2012, 16:38
Answer is E.

We dont have enough information to find the area.
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 182

Kudos [?]: 1014 [0], given: 235

Reviews Badge
Re: Points A, B, and C lie on a circle of radius. What is the [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2012, 18:09
ab is not line ab, but the multiplication of two sides a and b

a= BC, b = AC and c=AB. The smaller a b c are basically the lines opposite angle A B and C respectively.

I suppose radius is given, if so

Then statement 2 is sufficient. As we know angle and radius. This would give us the adjoining sides and area = 1/2 bc SinA.

Statement 1: I m short of time and will update this later. But looking at the equation most likely not sufficient.

Fight for your dreams :For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight

Money Saved is the Money Earned :)

Jo Bole So Nihaal , Sat Shri Akaal

:thanks Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog/Facebook :thanks

Take a Survey about GMAT Prep - Win Prizes!

Gmat test review :
670-to-710-a-long-journey-without-destination-still-happy-141642.html

Expert Post
Math Expert
Followers: 3738

Kudos [?]: 31306 [0], given: 3345

Re: Points A, B, and C lie on a circle of radius. What is the [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2012, 02:21
Expert's post
Re: Points A, B, and C lie on a circle of radius. What is the   [#permalink] 17 Jul 2012, 02:21