Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 10:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Police published a wanted poster for a criminal fugitive in

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 228 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Police published a wanted poster for a criminal fugitive in [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2010, 04:50
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

55% (03:27) correct 45% (00:27) wrong based on 11 sessions
Police published a “wanted” poster for a criminal fugitive in a medical journal, because the fugitive was known to have a certain acute noninfectious skin problem that would eventually require a visit to a doctor. The poster asked for information about the whereabouts of the fugitive. A physician’s responding to the poster’s request for information would not violate medical ethics, since physicians are already subject to requirements to report gunshot wounds to police and certain infectious diseases to health authorities. These exceptions to confidentiality are clearly ethical.
Which one of the following principles, while remaining compatible with the requirements cited above, supports the view that a physician’s responding to the request would violate medical ethics?
(A) Since a physician acts both as a professional person and as a citizen, it is not ethical for a physician to conceal information about patients from duly constituted law enforcement agencies that have proper jurisdiction.
(B) Since a patient comes to a physician with the expectation that the patient’s visit and medical condition will remain confidential, it is not ethical for a physician to share this information with anyone except personnel within the physician’s office.
(C) Since the primary concern of medicine is individual and public health, it is not ethical for a physician, except in the case of gunshot wounds, to reduce patients’ willingness to come for treatment by a policy of disclosing their identities to law-enforcement agencies.
(D) Except as required by the medical treatment of the patient, physicians cannot ethically disclose to others information about a patient’s identity or medical condition without the patient’s consent.
(E) Except to other medical personnel working to preserve or restore the health of a patient or of other persons, physicians cannot ethically disclose information about the identity of patients or their medical condition.

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

Re: oh my god [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2010, 05:41
is it D? it reiterates what can be disclosed ethically.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 3

Re: oh my god [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2010, 08:27
A
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: oh my god [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2010, 14:39
the answer is c. look at the statement above - you should find an answer that keeps the exceptions but still violates ethics ("public health" is the clue here). c it is.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 205 [0], given: 6

Re: oh my god [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2010, 12:50
Is the OA (C)?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 3

Re: oh my god [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2010, 13:54
What is the source of this question. I think all the answers are incorrect.

I prephrased the correct answer to address that the legal requirements were for gunshot wounds and infectious diseases, where as the fugitive had a non infections disease.
VP
VP
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: oh my god [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2010, 11:06
only answer making sense to me is D. it would become unethical for the doctor to report without taking patient's consent. in this case he will have to report without consent (of the fugitive) and that would constitute unethical behavior on the doctor's part. If we had not included (without consent from patient) then the rules of ethics remain to the same....the doctor must not disclose except in case of gunshot wounds and infectious diseases. Adding taking the patient's consent adds a new twist to the argument and brings the question of ethics back to the fore again.
Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 392 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Re: oh my god [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2010, 20:44
Assumption : In cases of exceptions to confidentiality, physicians should disclose the confidential information.
C neutralizes the exceptions - by saying it is not ethical for a physician, except in the case of gunshot wounds, ----> Its not clear whether the fugitive has "gun shot wounds". So its not ethical to report the identity to police.

D looks obvious. But gmat goes against the obvious. LOL

Please press kudos if you like my post.

Intern
Intern
Schools: CBS

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Re: oh my god [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2010, 21:03
The answer should be C.
While all the other answers conflict with the argument's requirements, answer C does not discuss reporting to health authorities (no conflict), but only to law enforcement agencies, and states that doctors shouldn't report to them except for gunshot wounds (no conflict again)...
VP
VP
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)

GMAT Tests User
Re: oh my god [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2010, 21:40
nusmavrik wrote:
Assumption : In cases of exceptions to confidentiality, physicians should disclose the confidential information.
C neutralizes the exceptions - by saying it is not ethical for a physician, except in the case of gunshot wounds, ----> Its not clear whether the fugitive has "gun shot wounds". So its not ethical to report the identity to police.

D looks obvious. But gmat goes against the obvious. LOL

pretty insightful :)
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
Re: oh my god [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2010, 21:41
noboru kindly publish oa
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 78 [0], given: 157

GMAT Tests User
Re: oh my god [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2010, 05:48
noboru wrote:
Police published a “wanted” poster for a criminal fugitive in a medical journal, because the fugitive was known to have a certain acute noninfectious skin problem that would eventually require a visit to a doctor. The poster asked for information about the whereabouts of the fugitive. A physician’s responding to the poster’s request for information would not violate medical ethics, since physicians are already subject to requirements to report gunshot wounds to police and certain infectious diseases to health authorities. These exceptions to confidentiality are clearly ethical.
Which one of the following principles, while remaining compatible with the requirements cited above, supports the view that a physician’s responding to the request would violate medical ethics?
(A) Since a physician acts both as a professional person and as a citizen, it is not ethical for a physician to conceal information about patients from duly constituted law enforcement agencies that have proper jurisdiction.
(B) Since a patient comes to a physician with the expectation that the patient’s visit and medical condition will remain confidential, it is not ethical for a physician to share this information with anyone except personnel within the physician’s office.
(C) Since the primary concern of medicine is individual and public health, it is not ethical for a physician, except in the case of gunshot wounds, to reduce patients’ willingness to come for treatment by a policy of disclosing their identities to law-enforcement agencies.
This could be the answer as it is neutral in its approach, and states the doctor can reveal the information only in case of gun shot wounds, BUT the answer should support the opinion that if the doctor responds to the plea then he would break the ethic. This ans provides support in that direction.
(D) Except as required by the medical treatment of the patient, physicians cannot ethically disclose to others information about a patient’s identity or medical condition without the patient’s consent.
Except as required indicates that the doctor can reveal to the authorities without violating the medical ethics, so this cannot be the answer.
(E) Except to other medical personnel working to preserve or restore the health of a patient or of other persons, physicians cannot ethically disclose information about the identity of patients or their medical condition.

If you found the reply to be helpful, give kudos.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 1

Re: oh my god [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2010, 01:19
(C) Since the primary concern of medicine is individual and public health, it is not ethical for a physician, except in the case of gunshot wounds, to reduce patients’ willingness to come for treatment by a policy of disclosing their identities to law-enforcement agencies. This takes care off all options. Suggests that only in case of a gunshot ( which is not covered in individual and public health) or Individual( reffering to other doctors for treatment ) or public health ( such as swine flu), information can be shared with others. Thus this supports the view that disclosing the convicts information by doctor in this case would be unlawful. Correct
(D) Except as required by the medical treatment of the patient, physicians cannot ethically disclose to others information about a patient’s identity or medical condition without the patient’s consent. - This choice misses Gun shot exception so is half true. Wrong

So IMO C . QA plz :roll:

R E S P E C T

Finally KISSedGMAT 700 times 450 to 700 An exprience

Manager
Manager
Schools: ISB
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 108 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: oh my god [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2010, 03:29
answer C

The question stem asks us to “support the view that a physician’s responding to the request would violate medical ethics.” In other words, we want to find a principle that would weaken the argument in the stimulus.

It would not be unethical, the passage argues, for a doctor to respond to the wanted poster, because it’s not unethical for doctors to inform the police about gunshot wounds. So to weaken the argument, we need a choice that invalidates the analogy between the two situations.

Choice (C) states that gunshot wounds are a unique exception to the general rule that it is unethical for doctors to disclose their patients’ identities to the police. (Some may have been troubled by the lack of reference in the right answer to infectious diseases
— the other exception mentioned in the stimulus — and thus been dissuaded from choosing (C). Recognize that the scope of both the wanted-poster situation and choice (C) is restricted to disclosure to law enforcement agencies only. The disease detail is tangential to
this situation.)

CONSIDER AWARDING KUDOS IF MY POST HELPS !!!

Re: oh my god   [#permalink] 23 Jun 2010, 03:29