Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 03:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Policy Adviser: Freedom of speech is not only a basic human

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
VP
VP
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 97 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Policy Adviser: Freedom of speech is not only a basic human [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2006, 00:21
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Policy Adviser: Freedom of speech is not only a basic human right; it is also the only rational policy for this government to adopt. When ideas are openly aired, good idea flourish, silly proposals are easily recognized as such, and dangerous ideas can be responded to by rational argument. Nothing is ever gained by forcing citizens to disseminate their thoughts in secret.
20. The policy adviser’s method of persuasion, in recommending a policy of free speech to the government, is best described by which one of the following?
(A) a circular justification of the idea of free speech as an idea that flourishes when free speech is allowed
(B) advocating respect for basic rights of citizens for its own sake
(C) a coupling of moral ideals with self-interest
(D) a warning about the difficulty of suppressing the truth
(E) a description of an ideal situation that cannot realistically be achieved

21. Which one of the following, if true, world most strengthen the argument?
(A) Most citizens would tolerate some limits on freedom of speech.
(B) With or without a policy of freedom of speech, governments respond to dangerous ideas irrationally.
(C) Freedom of religion and freedom of assembly are also basic human rights that governments must recognize.
(D) Governments are less likely to be overthrown if they openly adopt a policy allowing freedom of speech.
(E) Great ideas have flourished in societies that repress free speech as often as in those that permit it.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2006, 04:23
(A) Most citizens would tolerate some limits on freedom of speech.(Nothing about this is mentioned in the argument...........)

(B) With or without a policy of freedom of speech, governments respond to dangerous ideas irrationally.(the argument does not talk about this as well)

(C) Freedom of religion and freedom of assembly are also basic human rights that governments must recognize.(out of scope)

(D) Governments are less likely to be overthrown if they openly adopt a policy allowing freedom of speech(this particular statement underscores the point"it is also the only rational policy for this government to adopt.").

(E) Great ideas have flourished in societies that repress free speech as often as in those that permit it(does not strenghten tthe argument watsoever).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2006, 04:50
20. The policy adviser’s method of persuasion, in recommending a policy of free speech to the government, is best described by which one of the following?
(A) a circular justification of the idea of free speech as an idea that flourishes when free speech is allowed

(C) a coupling of moral ideals with self-interest

To put in simple words the question is asking us to describe the style in which the adviser is tryin to put across his point..........................

A- allowing for freedom of speech(rational policy) is a morally upright way for the govt to function.....................
B- The author supports freedom of speech coz he personally believes in it.............which is why hez taking in a persuasive tone. And the fact that he belives in it.................conveys his interest in the policy.....................

if that helps.........................to choose the answer................
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: 1000 CR - Pol Advisor - Calling all CRGuru's to help [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2006, 04:55
dwivedys wrote:
Policy Adviser: Freedom of speech is not only a basic human right; it is also the only rational policy for this government to adopt. When ideas are openly aired, good idea flourish, silly proposals are easily recognized as such, and dangerous ideas can be responded to by rational argument. Nothing is ever gained by forcing citizens to disseminate their thoughts in secret.
(C) a coupling of moral ideals (freedom of speech) with self-interest (good idea flourish, silly proposals are easily recognized as such, and dangerous ideas can be responded to by rational argument)

(A) Most citizens would tolerate some limits on freedom of speech.
(B) With or without a policy of freedom of speech, governments respond to dangerous ideas irrationally.
(C) Freedom of religion and freedom of assembly are also basic human rights that governments must recognize.
(D) Governments are less likely to be overthrown if they openly adopt a policy allowing freedom of speech.

D seems to be the answer. It is in government's interest to allow freedom of speech.

(E) Great ideas have flourished in societies that repress free speech as often as in those that permit it.

The path is long, but self-surrender makes it short;
the way is difficult, but perfect trust makes it easy.

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 159 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2006, 05:09
20-A) Freedom of speech reveals the good and bad. However, if one does not hear about the good and bad, how can one act on it in the first place? This is the circular reasoning behind the argument.

21-D) The best of all answers although one can argue that if freedom of speech does uphold certain virtues, such virtues are nullified by knowing that its adoption is motivated by personal and political gains. Thus, the argument could be weakened when viewed from a different angle.

Best Regards,

Paul

VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2006, 04:21
agree with
A
D
VP
VP
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2006, 05:28
Quote:
A- allowing for freedom of speech(rational policy) is a morally upright way for the govt to function.....................
B- The author supports freedom of speech coz he personally believes in it.............which is why hez taking in a persuasive tone. And the fact that he belives in it.................conveys his interest in the policy.....................

Very nicely put Jyotsna...I almost suspect you knew the answer beforehand :-)

Anyway..Paul - I too had fell for A. It did sound like circular reasoning.

The OA for first question is C and for the second question is D

I am not too sure if I would have ever chosen C for first one. This is a 1000 CR question and I believe its answers are correct.

Paul - Any thoughts on the first question? I'd really like to understand this..
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2006, 05:35
dwivedys wrote:
Quote:

I am not too sure if I would have ever chosen C for first one. This is a 1000 CR question and I believe its answers are correct.

well, m not gonna lie, coz i don't need to................i knew the answer for
the 20th question, coz i myself went wrong in it...................but the 21st one, i got it rite.................so u have give me credit for that one.........................:)
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2006, 05:40
dwivedys wrote:
Quote:

First question: It is not A, because usually circular reasoning based arguments do not have explanations. But in this case, there is a clear explanation.

What is the need for freedom of speech as a right?

The argument says we can identify which are good and which are bad ideas.

This argument has both moral dimension (argument sasys "Freedom of speech is not only a basic human right") and practical dimension (argument says "it is also the only rational policy for this government to adopt").

Hence C "a coupling of moral ideals with self-interest" is the right choice.

VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2006, 05:51
ak_idc wrote:
dwivedys wrote:
Quote:

First question: It is not A, because usually circular reasoning based arguments do not have explanations. But in this case, there is a clear explanation.

This argument has both moral dimension (argument sasys "Freedom of speech is not only a basic human right") and practical dimension (argument says "it is also the only rational policy for this government to adopt").

AK - Thanks for taking this up. Help me understand one last thing. I understand the "moral dimension" (basic human right) -- but how does the "practical dimension" (only rational policy for the govt etc..) translate into Self Interest as the choice asserts. I think Jyotsna's point helps in answering this point - The political advisor did sound like he was pretty convinced by his own reasoning and hence there was a self-interest. I didn't quite understand because self-interest is usually interpreted in a negative light and there didn't seem to be any negative connotation coming through.
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2006, 06:05
dwivedys wrote:
ak_idc wrote:
dwivedys wrote:
Quote:

AK - Thanks for taking this up. Help me understand one last thing. I understand the "moral dimension" (basic human right) -- but how does the "practical dimension" (only rational policy for the govt etc..) translate into Self Interest as the choice asserts. I think Jyotsna's point helps in answering this point - The political advisor did sound like he was pretty convinced by his own reasoning and hence there was a self-interest. I didn't quite understand because self-interest is usually interpreted in a negative light and there didn't seem to be any negative connotation coming through.

If we see the above wording, it looks as if the government is trying to prove a point. The government is the speaker. I agree.. policy adviser is putting forth his point of view, but essentially he is reflecting what government thinks (see the words in blue).

Also, argument says "dangerous ideas can be responded to by rational argument." Dangerous ideas here refers to ideas like those proposed by Taliban or other extremists. And the government is going to respond to those dangerous ideas by rational argument. These ideas can threaten the existence of the government itself. So when the government is going to respond to these dangerous ideas, with rational argument, is n't it serving itself? It is acting in self-interst.

Besides, self-interest need not be negative. If the government is trying to preserve itself for the greater good of citizens, then self-interest is thoroughly justified. No? :wink:

VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2006, 06:52
Thanks AK..
  [#permalink] 19 Nov 2006, 06:52