Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 19:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Policy analyst: CAFTA the Central American Free Trade

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: La Martiniere for Boys
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 9

GMAT Tests User
Policy analyst: CAFTA the Central American Free Trade [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2009, 19:26
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Policy analyst: CAFTA—the Central American Free Trade Agreement—is a good thing. If we enact CAFTA, we essentially drop trade barriers between the US and a host of Central American companies; that means lower production costs for American companies, lower retail prices for American consumers, and more income from exports for the US. These are undeniably good things. But all good things in economic policy come at a price. The price of CAFTA’s benefits is the outsourcing of American jobs. For prices to drop and companies to make more money, overhead costs must be slashed. CAFTA lets companies send all their manufacturing jobs to Central America, where workers make a fraction of what American workers make and where factories are poorly regulated and thus cheap to operate. In the end, the savings of the average American at the store will not compensate for the loss of income from outsourcing.

The boldface portion of the analyst’s argument serve what function?

(A) The first offers the analyst’s conclusion; the second gives a consideration that counts against that conclusion.
(B) The first presents a reason in favor of the analyst’s conclusion; the second is that conclusion.
(C) The first gives a reason that counts against the analyst’s conclusion; the second gives a reason that the analyst thinks supports the first reason.
(D) The first is a factor that weighs against the analyst’s conclusion; the second presents an explanation of why this consideration should be disregarded.
(E) The first is the analyst’s conclusion; the second presents a consequence of that conclusion.

Thanks
rampuria

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: CR- CAFTA [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2009, 20:07
IMO D.

The conclusion of the analyst is the statement "End the end.. ". So, A and E are gone. 1st bold statement is opposite to the conclusion. so B is also gone. Now 1st and 2ns statement state 2 opposite things , so C is also gone. that leaves D.
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR- CAFTA [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2009, 20:21
clear D
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 180 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR- CAFTA [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2009, 21:33
Clear D.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 0

Re: CR- CAFTA [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2009, 22:12
Clear D. 2:45 though...yikes...
VP
VP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 111 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR- CAFTA [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2009, 01:32
D.
For the first time, I cld ans a bold face problem with confidence. These BF problems really terrorise me :( . Can sum1 help?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2012
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR- CAFTA [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2009, 01:46
Agree with D

Cheers,
Unplugged
Retired Moderator
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR- CAFTA [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2009, 11:00
Not sure if it's that clear to me.

Between A) and E), I went with A.

IF the first bold is NOT the conclusion, then what is?

In the end, the savings of the average American at the store will not compensate for the loss of income from outsourcing.

I believe this is a premise.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR- CAFTA [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2009, 16:39
bigfernhead wrote:
Not sure if it's that clear to me.

Between A) and E), I went with A.

IF the first bold is NOT the conclusion, then what is?

In the end, the savings of the average American at the store will not compensate for the loss of income from outsourcing.

I believe this is a premise.

I was also debating between A & E, and chose A simply because it fit a little better.
VP
VP
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 214 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR- CAFTA [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2009, 16:58
I agree this Q was very confusing.The opening statement makes it appear as if it were the conclusion.

But D has a pretty strong case. If we arrange all the events in chronological/logical order, what is the last word on this whole thing?

Is CAFTA a good thing the last word (or) If we adopt CAFTA for its good reasons, there are dire consequences

Logically it seems to be the later. How can the Policy expert still conclude that CAFTA is a good thing despite the huge loss in income unless there is an evidence that favors less prices to lower incomes. There is not.

Hence I believe it is D.

A was the trap and I fell for it to start with.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR- CAFTA [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2009, 21:38
I am still confused b/w A and E.......
Though D make sense but i doubt thats it's the OA.

Can someone throw some more light on it.....
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Kellogg, MIT, Michigan, Berkeley, Marshall, Mellon
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR- CAFTA [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2009, 13:11
Hi mates,

IMO D

The conc. is that the savings of the average American at the store will not compensate for the loss of income from outsourcing. And Oursourcing comes from CAFTA. Therefore, saying that the CAFTA is good goes againts the conc. and the second part explains why outsourcing should be disregarded.

OA and Source?

Cheers

rampuria wrote:
Policy analyst: CAFTA—the Central American Free Trade Agreement—is a good thing. If we enact CAFTA, we essentially drop trade barriers between the US and a host of Central American companies; that means lower production costs for American companies, lower retail prices for American consumers, and more income from exports for the US. These are undeniably good things. But all good things in economic policy come at a price. The price of CAFTA’s benefits is the outsourcing of American jobs. For prices to drop and companies to make more money, overhead costs must be slashed. CAFTA lets companies send all their manufacturing jobs to Central America, where workers make a fraction of what American workers make and where factories are poorly regulated and thus cheap to operate. In the end, the savings of the average American at the store will not compensate for the loss of income from outsourcing.

The boldface portion of the analyst’s argument serve what function?

(A) The first offers the analyst’s conclusion; the second gives a consideration that counts against that conclusion.
(B) The first presents a reason in favor of the analyst’s conclusion; the second is that conclusion.
(C) The first gives a reason that counts against the analyst’s conclusion; the second gives a reason that the analyst thinks supports the first reason.
(D) The first is a factor that weighs against the analyst’s conclusion; the second presents an explanation of why this consideration should be disregarded.
(E) The first is the analyst’s conclusion; the second presents a consequence of that conclusion.

mates, please visit my profile and leave comments
johnlewis1980-s-profile-feedback-is-more-than-welcome-80538.html

I'm not linked to GMAT questions anymore, so, if you need something, please PM me

I'm already focused on my application package :)

My experience in my second attempt
http://gmatclub.com/forum/p544312#p544312
My experience in my third attempt
630-q-47-v-28-engineer-non-native-speaker-my-experience-78215.html#p588275

Manager
Manager
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 0

Re: CR- CAFTA [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2009, 19:05
Where does this question come from? I can't find a correct answer.

Grumpy

Kaplan Canada LSAT/GMAT/GRE teacher and tutor

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Kellogg, MIT, Michigan, Berkeley, Marshall, Mellon
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR- CAFTA [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2009, 11:47
And I think it's time for OA... :roll:
Re: CR- CAFTA   [#permalink] 11 Feb 2009, 11:47