Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Dec 2014, 19:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Policy makers remain concerned about the prospect of

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 16

Policy makers remain concerned about the prospect of [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2012, 00:31
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

41% (01:52) correct 59% (00:49) wrong based on 397 sessions
Policy makers remain concerned about the prospect of inflation, although there are few signs of increasing energy prices driving up the cost of other goods so far.

remain concerned about the prospect of inflation, although there are few signs of increasing energy prices driving up the cost of other goods so far

still remain concerned about the prospects of inflation; there are as yet few signs that increasing energy prices are currently driving up the cost of other goods

remain concerned about the prospect for inflation, even though as yet few signs of higher energy prices are driving up the cost of other goods so far

still remain concerned about inflation, even though there are currently few signs that increasing energy prices drive up the cost of other goods

remain concerned about the prospect of inflation, despite the lack of signs thus far that increasing energy prices are driving up the cost of other goods
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.2
WE: Business Development (Internet and New Media)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 79 [1] , given: 10

Re: 700 level SC [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2012, 00:41
This post received
KUDOS
Has to be "E" in this case.

First thing to note is that "prospect OF inflation" is idiomatically correct so a few choices wade away quite early. The second part has a lot to do with the intended meaning of the sentence. We want to show "a lack of indicators" of inflation. Only option E addresses the intended meaning correctly. Also the action "Driving" has to be a gerund because of the time frame we are talking about. It is a continual action.

"Nowadays, people know the price of everything, and the value of nothing." Oscar Wilde

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: 700 level SC [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2012, 09:34
This post received
KUDOS
Let me give it a try

Option A:
remain concerned about the prospect of inflation, although there are few signs of increasing energy prices driving up the cost of other goods so far

- remain concerned about the prospect of inflation <- no problem so far
- although there are few signs of increasing energy prices driving up the cost of other goods so far <-- "so far" which is a modifier of "there are" appears at the end of the sentence. This could cause some confusions regarding which word "so far" is modifying (could be read as modifying "driving" instead)

Option E:
remain concerned about the prospect of inflation, despite the lack of signs thus far that increasing energy prices are driving up the cost of other goods
- despite the lack of signs thus far that increasing energy <-- it's much clearer her that "thus far" is modifying the noun the "lack of signs". The construction of the second part of the sentence (increasing energy prices...) is also very clear.

Hence, E, in my opinion.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1207

Kudos [?]: 5810 [1] , given: 168

Re: Policy makers remain concerned about the prospect of [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2014, 21:50
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
ruturajp wrote:
Policy makers remain concerned about the prospect of inflation, although there are few signs of increasing energy prices driving up the cost of other goods so far.

still remain concerned about the prospects of inflation; there are as yet few signs that increasing energy prices are currently driving up the cost of other goods

remain concerned about the prospect for inflation, even though as yet few signs of higher energy prices are driving up the cost of other goods so far

still remain concerned about inflation, even though there are currently few signs that increasing energy prices drive up the cost of other goods

Responding to a pm:

"prospect of inflation" means "possibility of inflation"
"prospects of" means "chances/ expectations, usually of success"

So policy makers remain concerned about the prospect (possibility) of inflation. 'Remain concerned about inflation' would not be accurate since there is a possibility of inflation (there are few signs hence inflation isn't actually taking place). Hence (B) and (D) are out.

(B) uses a semi colon and hence the sentence misses out on the contrast "...remain concerned, although/even though/despite..."

In option (A), placement of 'so far' makes it ambiguous. There are few signs so far OR ...driving up cost so far...
Also, in (A), "there are few signs of increasing energy prices driving up the cost ..." is incorrect structure.

"of + noun + ing" verb is correct only if "of + noun" makes perfect sense (not very common).

I have a video of a cat playing the piano. - video is of the cat so this sentence is correct.

There are few signs of increasing energy prices driving up the cost of other goods. - the few signs are not of energy prices but of energy prices driving up the cost of goods. Hence, this structure is not correct.

(C) is obviously incorrect "few signs of higher energy prices are driving up the cost of other goods" - illogical

Hence correct answer is (E). It uses 'prospect of inflation', places 'thus far' correctly - "lack of signs thus far that..."

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.9
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 6

Re: 700 level SC [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2012, 00:51
E. But it is definitely a tough Q.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.2
WE: Business Development (Internet and New Media)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 10

Re: 700 level SC [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2012, 05:21
someone79 wrote:
E. But it is definitely a tough Q.

Yup. True..Imagine, the GMAT is reviewing its questions these days to host more questions that deal with the intended meaning of the sentence. I think people have already broken the code, for the lack of a better word, of the sentence correction section and therefore it is definitely going to be a bit tougher once the reviews are implemented around mid 2012.

"Nowadays, people know the price of everything, and the value of nothing." Oscar Wilde

Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.5

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 51

Re: 700 level SC [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2012, 05:51
E is the only one with clear meaning that the energy prices are not rising still the policy makers remain concerned, rest options in my view are ambiguous.
Intern
Intern

Re: 700 level SC [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2012, 07:49
omerrauf wrote:

First thing to note is that "prospect OF inflation" is idiomatically correct so a few choices wade away quite early. The second part has a lot to do with the intended meaning of the sentence. We want to show "a lack of indicators" of inflation. Only option E addresses the intended meaning correctly. Also the action "Driving" has to be a gerund because of the time frame we are talking about. It is a continual action.

I am not getting the intended meaning of this "despite the lack of signs thus far that increasing energy prices are driving up the cost of other goods"
the construction thus far that seems awkward so I choose A as I could eliminate E just for this awkward construction
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: 700 level SC [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2012, 10:53
A: Driving up <-- awkward
C: "prospect for" should instead be "prospect of"
D: imho, not very correct to remove "the prospect of"

E is the only one with a clear meaning
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: 700 level SC [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2012, 10:56
ruturajp wrote:
omerrauf wrote:

I am not getting the intended meaning of this "despite the lack of signs thus far that increasing energy prices are driving up the cost of other goods"
the construction thus far that seems awkward so I choose A as I could eliminate E just for this awkward construction

In my opinion, "thus far" in E is a better modifier of the noun "the lack of..", as opposed to "so far" which appears right at the end of the sentence in A.
Intern
Intern

Re: 700 level SC [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2012, 23:57
i3rook wrote:
ruturajp wrote:
omerrauf wrote:

In my opinion, "thus far" in E is a better modifier of the noun "the lack of..", as opposed to "so far" which appears right at the end of the sentence in A.

please can u explain option E by breaking the sentence
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Technology
Schools: UCSD (D)
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
GPA: 2.99
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 66

Re: 700 level SC [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2012, 20:20
I get why the Answer is Right. My question is there any issue of Tenses in this question?
Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 286

Kudos [?]: 1849 [0], given: 253

Re: 700 level SC [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2012, 01:26
Expert's post
Quote:
although there ‘are few signs’ of increasing energy prices driving up the cost of other goods ‘so far’.

Of course, other things apart, and on extendibg gmatpunjabi’s query, is it grammatically correct to use a present tense verb ‘are few signs” when a categorical time frame has been indicated as ‘so far’ in the original, for which a present perfect tense, ‘have been’ should be more apt IMO. Any comments?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: Q V
GPA: 3.7
WE: Account Management (Consumer Products)

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 4

Re: 700 level SC [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2012, 20:29
This one was a hard one for me as well. However answer choice E makes it clear

DETERMINED TO BREAK 700!!!

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: IE '15 (M)
GMAT 1: Q V
GPA: 3
WE: Consulting (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 7

Re: 700 level SC [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2012, 02:35
I only see a clear meaning with "E". First one I noticed was "concerned of"
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 43

Re: Policy makers remain concerned about the prospect of [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2013, 21:11
What are some adverbial modifiers such as 'so far' Why didn't I recognize this as an adverbial modifier? It does not overtly strike me as one, what is it modifying or suppose to modify normally?

We appreciate your kudos'

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 660 Q50 V29
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.42

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 2

Policy makers remain concerned about the prospect of [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2014, 00:25

A. remain concerned about the prospect of inflation, although there are few signs of increasing energy prices driving up the cost of other goods so far

B. still remain concerned about the prospects of inflation; there are as yet few signs that increasing energy prices are currently driving up the cost of other goods

C. remain concerned about the prospect for inflation, even though as yet few signs of higher energy prices are driving up the cost of other goods so far

D. still remain concerned about inflation, even though there are currently few signs that increasing energy prices drive up the cost of other goods

E. remain concerned about the prospect of inflation, despite the dearth of signs thus far that increasing energy prices are driving up the cost of other goods
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 15

Re: Policy makers remain concerned about the prospect of [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2014, 00:41
A. remain concerned about the prospect of inflation, although there are few signs of increasing energy prices driving up the cost of other goods so far - misplaced modifier

B. still remain concerned about the prospects of inflation; there are as yet few signs that increasing energy prices are currently driving up the cost of other goods - awkwardly constructed

C. remain concerned about the prospect for inflation, even though as yet few signs of higher energy prices are driving up the cost of other goods so far - increasing and higher do not convey the same meaning

D. still remain concerned about inflation, even though there are currently few signs that increasing energy prices drive up the cost of other goods - tense error ..original sentence has cont. tense

E. remain concerned about the prospect of inflation, despite the dearth of signs thus far that increasing energy prices are driving up the cost of other goods - correct one
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 46

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Policy makers remain concerned about the prospect of [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2014, 06:57
omerrauf wrote:

I get it that the meaning in E is quite clear. Just out of curiosity , would A have been a better option had it been something like -- remain concerned about the prospect of inflation, although there are very few signs of increasing energy prices driving up the cost of other goods so fa
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 12

Re: Policy makers remain concerned about the prospect of [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2014, 19:35
Can we say below

Despite X, Y in which X is a noun and Y is a clause/independent statement. Shouldnt X & Y be parallel.

But in this case, X doesn't have any verb i.e. despite the lack of signs thus far
Y is a clause/

Please clarify
Re: Policy makers remain concerned about the prospect of   [#permalink] 23 Aug 2014, 19:35