Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Aug 2014, 09:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Policy makers remain concerned about the prospect of

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
4 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 57 [4] , given: 34

GMAT Tests User
Policy makers remain concerned about the prospect of [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2012, 12:51
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

34% (02:07) correct 66% (01:17) wrong based on 306 sessions
Policy makers remain concerned about the prospect of inflation, although there are few signs of increasing energy prices driving up the cost of other goods so far.
(A) remain concerned about the prospect of inflation, although there are few signs of increasing energy prices driving up the cost of other goods so far
(B) still remain concerned about the prospects of inflation; there are as yet few signs that increasing energy prices are currently driving up the cost of other goods
(C) remain concerned about the prospect for inflation, even though as yet few signs of higher energy prices are driving up the cost of other goods so far
(D) still remain concerned about inflation, even though there are currently few signs that increasing energy prices drive up the cost of other goods
(E) remain concerned about the prospect of inflation, despite the dearth of signs thus far that increasing energy prices are driving up the cost of other goods

Will appreciate if you can explain how to approach this question.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

"Giving kudos" is a decent way to say "Thanks" and motivate contributors. Please use them, it won't cost you anything.
Thanks Rphardu

Manager
Manager
Schools: Tepper '15 (WL)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 7

Re: Policy makers remain concerned about [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2012, 15:03
First off, I eliminated any answer choice that had "as yet" because "as yet" sounds awkward. So B and C are out.

I didn't like A because "although" is usually used at the beginning of a sentence. Usually, you use "even though" in the middle of a sentence.

So now we are left with D and E. I initially wanted to pick E but was worried that the introduction of the word "dearth" would be bad. E wins out because the policymakers are concerned about the prospects of inflation, not inflation (has not happened yet).
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 131 [1] , given: 78

Premium Member
Re: Policy makers remain concerned about [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2012, 16:40
This post received
KUDOS
rphardu wrote:
Policy makers remain concerned about the prospect of inflation, although there are few signs of increasing energy prices driving up the cost of other goods so far.
(A) remain concerned about the prospect of inflation, although there are few signs of increasing energy prices driving up the cost of other goods so far
(B) still remain concerned about the prospects of inflation; there are as yet few signs that increasing energy prices are currently driving up the cost of other goods
(C) remain concerned about the prospect for inflation, even though as yet few signs of higher energy prices are driving up the cost of other goods so far
(D) still remain concerned about inflation, even though there are currently few signs that increasing energy prices drive up the cost of other goods
(E) remain concerned about the prospect of inflation, despite the dearth of signs thus far that increasing energy prices are driving up the cost of other goods

A) ugh, "few signs of increasing prices driving" is so confusing and awkward.
B) as yet + currently = yucky
C) as yet + so far = redundant
D) Changes the meaning (why drop the word prospect?) and still remain is redundant.
E) Yay! dearth is used absolutely correctly. This is the best answer.

Blogging about the MBA application process. Because I need to do something with all this bschool energy.
http://www.mybreakaway.com/ Recent post: September 20, "Transitions"

Yale School of Management MBA Candidate, 2015.

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 57 [2] , given: 34

GMAT Tests User
Re: Policy makers remain concerned about [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2012, 18:32
This post received
KUDOS
Injuin wrote:
First off, I eliminated any answer choice that had "as yet" because "as yet" sounds awkward. So B and C are out.

I didn't like A because "although" is usually used at the beginning of a sentence. Usually, you use "even though" in the middle of a sentence.

So now we are left with D and E. I initially wanted to pick E but was worried that the introduction of the word "dearth" would be bad. E wins out because the policymakers are concerned about the prospects of inflation, not inflation (has not happened yet).

Thanks for describing your approach but there are couple of things that I would like to mention.

Not to offend buddy

1. Don't remove any choice because of as yet --
Idiom:
as yet
Up to the present time; up to now.
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/as+yet

2. Although can come later part of sentence

3. E wins out because the policymakers are concerned about the prospects of inflation, not inflation - In each choice author is talking about prospects of inflation and not inflation.

Here what i have found.

Still remain is redundant so option B and D is out.

A is out because preposition + noun + ving modifier is wrong construction.

Between C and E. I feel issue is meaning.
Author intends to say that "Policy makers remain concerned about the prospect of inflation, although there are few signs of increasing energy prices " are driving up the cost of other goods so far" is main verb of few signs not the modifier.

Please correct me if I am wrong at any place, it will help me to improve my knowledge.

"Giving kudos" is a decent way to say "Thanks" and motivate contributors. Please use them, it won't cost you anything.
Thanks Rphardu

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 6

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Policy makers remain concerned about [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2012, 00:34
machichi wrote:
rphardu wrote:

A) ugh, "few signs of increasing prices driving" is so confusing and awkward.
B) as yet + currently = yucky
C) as yet + so far = redundant
D) Changes the meaning (why drop the word prospect?) and still remain is redundant.
E) Yay! dearth is used absolutely correctly. This is the best answer.

I didnt like the use of 'so far' so A and C are out.

B uses 'as yet' awkwardly so it boils down to D and E.

I chose D initially but looking at your explanation E makes sense because the policy makers are concerned about the 'prospect' of inflation, D states that inflation is already occurring.
3 KUDOS received
Current Student
Affiliations: UWC
GMAT 1: 620 Q42 V33
GMAT 2: 680 Q44 V38
GPA: 3.43
WE: Engineering (Entertainment and Sports)
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 216 [3] , given: 100

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Policy makers remain concerned about [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2012, 02:06
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Here's my take:

(A) remain concerned about the prospect of inflation, although there are few signs of increasing energy prices driving up the cost of other goods so far :(
"so far" seems to logically modify "few signs" but they are too far apart effectively making this an awkward choice. Also, "few signs of increasing energy prices" seems to imply, that the "signs" are driving up the costs of goods and not the" increasing energy prices" itself.

(B) still remain concerned about the prospects of inflation; there are as yet few signs that increasing energy prices are currently driving up the cost of other goods :(
I'm not too sure about this one; my guess is that "currently" is redundant as we know this is in the present. I suspect there is some issue in the clause after the semi-colon. Experts please comment..

(C) remain concerned about the prospect for inflation, even though as yet few signs of higher energy prices are driving up the cost of other goods so far :(
as yet and so far are redundant plus we have the same problem from A- the "signs" are "driving up the cost".... Also "prospect for inflation" seems weird.

(D) still remain concerned about inflation, even though there are currently few signs that increasing energy prices drive up the cost of other goods :(
the policy makers are concerned about the prospect of inflation and not inflation itself.

(E) remain concerned about the prospect of inflation, despite the dearth of signs thus far that increasing energy prices are driving up the cost of other goods :)
this option correctly connects the scarcity of signs that increasing energy prices are driving up the costs and NOT the signs are driving up the costs.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 59 [1] , given: 38

Re: Policy makers remain concerned about [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2012, 04:17
This post received
KUDOS
All the replies are great. But this is how I would have approached this question making 2:3 split

Looking at A you can notice there is a grammar mistake.

Noun + ing verb - this constructing needs a helping verb (Is/Are)

This error is repeated in other sentences. based on this eliminate A,C,D.

Between B &E - there certainly should not be a break with a semi-colon. Eliminate B and re-read original statement with E

Push +1 kudos button please, if you like my post

Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 260

Kudos [?]: 1526 [0], given: 248

Re: Policy makers remain concerned about [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2012, 08:38
Expert's post
I think macjas has more than adequately brought out the fine points of this issue. Big kudo to him I may just like add a few word about choice B
Apart from currently being redundant, there is another issue regarding the construction of the sentence. There are two ICs separated by a semicolon and they are no doubt related. But the first portion is a little grey. It says that the policy makers are still concerned, but their being still concerned, is in spite of having only feeble signs. Such a paradox can be clearly expressed only by a clear contrasting conjunction such as though, although, even though etc;

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 295

Kudos [?]: 456 [3] , given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Policy makers remain concerned about [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2012, 23:25
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
'Still remain' strikes me as wordy. What's the difference between 'remain' and 'still remain.' Eliminate (B) and (D).

Both (A) and (D) put the adverbial modifier 'so far' after the noun phrase 'cost of goods'. 'So far' should be modifying the lack of signs. Therefore (E).

Christopher Lele
Magoosh Test Prep

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 43

Re: Policy makers remain concerned about [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2013, 21:04
ChrisLele wrote:
'Still remain' strikes me as wordy. What's the difference between 'remain' and 'still remain.' Eliminate (B) and (D).

Both (A) and (D) put the adverbial modifier 'so far' after the noun phrase 'cost of goods'. 'So far' should be modifying the lack of signs. Therefore (E).

This is probably the best approach to the problem.

As for people taking out 'as yet' I dont know why you are. It is an accepted and correct idiom

We appreciate your kudos'

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GPA: 3.62
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 20

Re: Policy makers remain concerned about the prospect of [#permalink] New post 13 May 2014, 18:01
prospect for is wrong.
Choices where "prospect for" is used should be eliminated
Re: Policy makers remain concerned about the prospect of   [#permalink] 13 May 2014, 18:01