Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 10:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Polio, although it is eradicated in the United States, it

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 191 [1] , given: 32

GMAT Tests User
Polio, although it is eradicated in the United States, it [#permalink] New post 22 May 2011, 08:27
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

77% (01:44) correct 23% (01:08) wrong based on 578 sessions
Polio, although it is eradicated in the United States, it continues elsewhere and is able to be brought into the country by visitors.

(A) Polio, although it is eradicated in the United States, it continues elsewhere and is able to be
(B) Polio, although eradicated in the United States, it still continues elsewhere and can be
(C) Although still continuing elsewhere, polio has been eradicated in the United States and could be
(D) Although having been eradicated in the United States, polio still continues elsewhere and is capable of being
(E) Although eradicated in the United States, polio continues elsewhere and could be
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

I am student of everyone-baten
Collections:-
PSof OG solved by GC members: http://gmatclub.com/forum/collection-ps-with-solution-from-gmatclub-110005.html
DS of OG solved by GC members: http://gmatclub.com/forum/collection-ds-with-solution-from-gmatclub-110004.html
100 GMAT PREP Quantitative collection http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-prep-problem-collections-114358.html
Collections of work/rate problems with solutions http://gmatclub.com/forum/collections-of-work-rate-problem-with-solutions-118919.html
Mixture problems in a file with best solutions: http://gmatclub.com/forum/mixture-problems-with-best-and-easy-solutions-all-together-124644.html

Last edited by fameatop on 23 Aug 2013, 21:34, edited 1 time in total.
OA not provided
Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 252

Kudos [?]: 1425 [4] , given: 245

Re: Polio [#permalink] New post 22 May 2011, 09:19
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
(A) Polio, although it is eradicated in the United States, it continues elsewhere and is able to be ----- It continues – it is redundant
(B) Polio, although eradicated in the United States, it still continues elsewhere and can be ….. it still ---- it is redundant
(C) Although still continuing elsewhere, polio has been eradicated in the United States and could be … Apparently very tempting, but still faulty. When we say that polio has been eradicated in the United States and could be brought back, we are indeed connecting two contrasts with a same direction conjunction, but could be brought back would be more appropriate.
(D) Although having been eradicated in the United States, polio still continues elsewhere and is capable of being ---- apart from the awkwardness of using ‘ capable of being’ . this choice also suffers from the same of inappropriate use of the connector ‘and’

(E) Although eradicated in the United States, polio continues elsewhere and could be … You can see that 'the continuation elsewhere' and 'could be brought back' have no innate contrast and hence using 'and' is fine

A nice question hinging on nuances and subtleties

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 63

Kudos [?]: 249 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: Polio [#permalink] New post 22 May 2011, 10:36
+1 E

It is the less wordy and keeps the meaning.

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 31 [1] , given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Polio, although it is eradicated in the United States, it [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2012, 19:54
This post received
KUDOS
I have chosen E for this question:

A. This sentence has Polio and "it" next to each other. This makes no sense because the pronoun "it" refers to Polio. Also, I felt the modifier "although it is..." is incorrect because it is a clause modifying the noun Polio.

B. Same as A - Polio and it are next to each other.

C. This answer choice is really confusing. It seems to suggest that Polio has been eradicated from the US, but it could also be brought into the US by visitors. The sequencing is really messed up here. It would be much better to say that Polio still continues elsewhere and could be brought into the US by visitors.

D. I couldn't find anything grammatically wrong with this, but it seems wordy. The words "having been" and "being" seem to make this answer more complicated than it should be.

E. This is the correct answer. The sentence starts with a subordinate clause, uses Polio as the subject of the sentence and then parallels the 2 claims about Polio.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 16

Reviews Badge
Re: Polio, although it is eradicated in the United States, it [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2012, 19:59
Good question !!!

+1 Kudos to you

Giving +1 kudos is a better way of saying 'Thank You'.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 24

Re: Polio, although it is eradicated in the United States, it [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2012, 03:39
Option E seems right . Others are too wordy.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V32
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Polio, although it is eradicated in the United States, it [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2012, 06:11
Fell for C.
It was pretty easy to narrow down to C and E because in A, B and D either the modifiers are wrong or the sentences are incomplete (fragments).

(C) Although still continuing elsewhere, polio has been eradicated in the United States and could be
Present perfect tense is not needed here. So, wrong. Better would have been Polio was eradicated, because there is no other event before the eradication.

(E) Although eradicated in the United States, polio continues elsewhere and could be
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 6

Re: Polio, although it is eradicated in the United States, it [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2012, 22:44
E for me............... Modifier is clue..........
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Polio, although it is eradicated in the United States, it [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2012, 03:39
I agree with E. But the word "could" confuses me. why past tense?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Polio [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2012, 03:45
daagh wrote:
(A) Polio, although it is eradicated in the United States, it continues elsewhere and is able to be ----- It continues – it is redundant
(B) Polio, although eradicated in the United States, it still continues elsewhere and can be ….. it still ---- it is redundant
(C) Although still continuing elsewhere, polio has been eradicated in the United States and could be … Apparently very tempting, but still faulty. When we say that polio has been eradicated in the United States and could be brought back, we are indeed connecting two contrasts with a same direction conjunction, but could be brought back would be more appropriate.
(D) Although having been eradicated in the United States, polio still continues elsewhere and is capable of being ---- apart from the awkwardness of using ‘ capable of being’ . this choice also suffers from the same of inappropriate use of the connector ‘and’

(E) Although eradicated in the United States, polio continues elsewhere and could be … You can see that 'the continuation elsewhere' and 'could be brought back' have no innate contrast and hence using 'and' is fine

A nice question hinging on nuances and subtleties

in E, the word "could" is confusing, why it's not "can" or "is able to"?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 18

Re: Polio, although it is eradicated in the United States, it [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2013, 05:25
My ans is E.
Polio correctly modifies although.......
still continues/continuing is wrong because still and continue cannot be used together as both mean the same thing as reply back means the same thing.
Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, General Management
Schools: IIM A '15
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 158 [0], given: 298

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Polio, although it is eradicated in the United States, it [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2013, 21:22
A detailed analysis of Option (C).

Although still continuing elsewhere, polio has been
eradicated in the United States and could be...

Original Idea : Although X,Y Z

Where X= Polio has been eradicated
Y= it still continues elsewhere
Z= it could be brought by visitors into USA.

Idea has been distorted in (C) , let us see how:

Distorted Idea: Although Y,X Z

Sentence looses contrast and says that "Knowing polio exits elsewhere still it is eradicated in USA and could be brought".

However, Original says that "Knowing that polio has been eradicated in USA still it exists elsewhere and could be brought".

Hope it helps

Rgds,
TGC!

Rgds,
TGC!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Polio, although it is eradicated in the United States, it [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2013, 03:31
Hello ,

I am still not clear with the answer choice B.
How do i know the pronoun is redundant ? and when should I actually use a pronoun in a sentence.

Thanks
Vin.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, General Management
Schools: IIM A '15
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 158 [1] , given: 298

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Polio, although it is eradicated in the United States, it [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2013, 04:29
This post received
KUDOS
vmgmat wrote:
Hello ,

I am still not clear with the answer choice B.
How do i know the pronoun is redundant ? and when should I actually use a pronoun in a sentence.

Thanks
Vin.

Hi Vin,

(B). Polio, although eradicated in the United States, it still continues elsewhere and can be

Remove the non-essential modifier enclosed by commas "although eradicated in the United States, and watch
if the sentence makes sense.

Polio it still continues

So when you already have mentioned POLIO what is the need of IT which also refers to POLIO.

Hope that helps

Rgds,
TGC!

Rgds,
TGC!

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 127 [0], given: 121

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Polio, although it is eradicated in the United States, it [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2013, 00:02
Although eradicated in the United States, polio continues elsewhere and could be.

As per MGMAT SC idioms chapter, book says although introduces subordinate clause, and a clause must have a subject and a verb as per my knowledge, but in above correct sentence there is no subjects in subordinate clause, further it is more acting like a modifier to polio.

In the book following example is given under suspect case:
ALTHOUGH a frequent napper, I study effectively.
(Although should generally be followed by clause)

Experts kindly help me to understand this subtle difference in usage of although, what are the exceptions ?

Regards
PiyushK

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: WOULD: when to use?
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 47

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Polio, although it is eradicated in the United States, it [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2014, 04:22
Baten80 wrote:
Polio, although it is eradicated in the United States, it continues elsewhere and is able to be brought into the country by visitors.

(A) Polio, although it is eradicated in the United States, it continues elsewhere and is able to be
(B) Polio, although eradicated in the United States, it still continues elsewhere and can be
(D) Although having been eradicated in the United States, polio still continues elsewhere and is capable of being

A) "it" is used erroneously in both instances. Also "and is able to be" just sounds wordy and awkward, could be sounds better. A gone

B) again, "it" is not used correctly, also "can be" simply sounds weird. Again, could be sounds better. B gone

C) The intended meaning is distorted. "Although" implies that we want to contrast something, but the following clause simply states a fact. Nothing is contrasted. The intended meaning is not to simply present the fact that polio could be brought back, it is to say that even though it isn't in the country right now, there's a RISK that it might be brought back. So C is gone

D) "having been" and "is capable of being" are wordy and awkward. Keep it as a contender because it's the best choice up to now.

E) "eradicated" is used correctly, "could be" is used correctly, and the option correctly means to say what the author intends to say. "polio is no longer here, BUT there's a risk it might come back", the unstated "but" is why we have "although". And E is clearly much better than D so we pick E.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 12

Re: Polio, although it is eradicated in the United States, it [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2014, 01:10
aeglorre wrote:
Baten80 wrote:

A) "it" is used erroneously in both instances. Also "and is able to be" just sounds wordy and awkward, could be sounds better. A gone

B) again, "it" is not used correctly, also "can be" simply sounds weird. Again, could be sounds better. B gone

C) The intended meaning is distorted. "Although" implies that we want to contrast something, but the following clause simply states a fact. Nothing is contrasted. The intended meaning is not to simply present the fact that polio could be brought back, it is to say that even though it isn't in the country right now, there's a RISK that it might be brought back. So C is gone

D) "having been" and "is capable of being" are wordy and awkward. Keep it as a contender because it's the best choice up to now.

E) "eradicated" is used correctly, "could be" is used correctly, and the option correctly means to say what the author intends to say. "polio is no longer here, BUT there's a risk it might come back", the unstated "but" is why we have "although". And E is clearly much better than D so we pick E.

In the flow of the sentence, we use present tense: " Although eradicated in the United States, polio continues elsewhere...". Hence, should it be correct to use "could be" instead of "can be" in this case?

YL
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Strategy

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 5

CAT Tests
Re: Polio, although it is eradicated in the United States, it [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2014, 01:25
Answer E, double subject error in original. All the other answer choices are awkward and wordy.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Polio, although it is eradicated in the United States, it [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2014, 01:26
@hoangyenle
I think could be is indicating a possibility in a much formal way and passive voice, whereas can be is not that much formal.

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Polio, although it is eradicated in the United States, it [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2014, 01:32
Why someone will choose E over C, what is technically wrong in C, any idea?
plz don't suggest just awkward.

(C) Although still continuing elsewhere (looks like ing modifier), polio has been eradicated in the United States and could be
(E) Although eradicated in the United States (looks like ed modifier), polio continues elsewhere and could be

Piyush K
-----------------------

Re: Polio, although it is eradicated in the United States, it   [#permalink] 23 Feb 2014, 01:32