Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 07:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Political Advertisement: Mayor Delmont s critics complain

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 22 Nov 2007
Posts: 1102
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 135 [0], given: 0

Political Advertisement: Mayor Delmont s critics complain [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2008, 08:37
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Political Advertisement:

Mayor Delmont’s critics complain about the jobs that were lost in the city under Delmont’s leadership. Yet the fact is that not only were more jobs created than were eliminated, but the average pay for these new jobs has been higher than the average pay
for jobs citywide every year since Delmont took office. So there can be no question that throughout Delmont’s tenure the average paycheck in this city has been getting steadily bigger.
Which of the following, if true, most strengthens the argument in the advertisement?

A. The average pay for jobs created in the city during the past three years was higher than the average pay for jobs created in the city earlier in Mayor Delmont’s tenure.
B. Average pay in the city was at a ten-year low when Mayor Delmont took office.
C. Some of the jobs created in the city during Mayor Delmont’s tenure have in the
meantime been eliminated again.
D. The average pay for jobs eliminated in the city during Mayor Delmont’s tenure has been roughly equal every year to the average pay for jobs citywide.
E. The average pay for jobs in the city is currently higher than it is for jobs in the suburbs surrounding the city.
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 05 Aug 2007
Posts: 1502
Schools: NYU Stern '11
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 205 [0], given: 22

Re: cr - strengthen the argument [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2008, 10:52
I think the highlighted portion below pinpoints the 'argument' put forward by the ad.

It seems like A is only choice that really supports the highlighted text.

marcodonzelli wrote:
Political Advertisement:

Mayor Delmont’s critics complain about the jobs that were lost in the city under Delmont’s leadership. Yet the fact is that not only were more jobs created than were eliminated, but the average pay for these new jobs has been higher than the average pay
for jobs citywide every year since Delmont took office. So there can be no question that throughout Delmont’s tenure the average paycheck in this city has been getting steadily bigger.
Which of the following, if true, most strengthens the argument in the advertisement?

A. The average pay for jobs created in the city during the past three years was higher than the average pay for jobs created in the city earlier in Mayor Delmont’s tenure.
B. Average pay in the city was at a ten-year low when Mayor Delmont took office.
C. Some of the jobs created in the city during Mayor Delmont’s tenure have in the
meantime been eliminated again.
D. The average pay for jobs eliminated in the city during Mayor Delmont’s tenure has been roughly equal every year to the average pay for jobs citywide.
E. The average pay for jobs in the city is currently higher than it is for jobs in the suburbs surrounding the city.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 01 Sep 2007
Posts: 104
Location: Astana
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

Re: cr - strengthen the argument [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2008, 10:59
is it D?
if only averagely-paid (sorry me for my English :) hifive!) jobs during his tenor have been eliminated, it wouldn't drag down the citywide average.
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 05 Aug 2007
Posts: 1502
Schools: NYU Stern '11
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 205 [0], given: 22

Re: cr - strengthen the argument [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2008, 11:02
lol!

CaspAreaGuy wrote:
is it D?
if only averagely-paid (sorry me for my English :) hifive!) jobs during his tenor have been eliminated, it wouldn't drag down the citywide average.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 01 May 2006
Posts: 1
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: cr - strengthen the argument [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2008, 11:03
I will go with A option. other options are either neutral or weaken the argument.
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 30 Jun 2007
Posts: 793
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 107 [0], given: 0

Re: cr - strengthen the argument [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2008, 20:50
Conclusion: Throughout Delmont’s tenure the average paycheck in this city has been getting steadily bigger.

A. The average pay for jobs created in the city during the past three years was higher than the average pay for jobs created in the city earlier in Mayor Delmont’s tenure. [Hold it]
B. Average pay in the city was at a ten-year low when Mayor Delmont took office.[What was average salary when Mayor took office is irrelevant]
C. Some of the jobs created in the city during Mayor Delmont’s tenure have in the
meantime been eliminated again.[Weakens – This weakens the argument – eliminate it]
D. The average pay for jobs eliminated in the city during Mayor Delmont’s tenure has been roughly equal every year to the average pay for jobs citywide.[Weakens – Eliminate it]
E. The average pay for jobs in the city is currently higher than it is for jobs in the suburbs surrounding the city.[Suburbs and surrounding the city is not discussed in the argument – eliminate it]
Answer: A
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 22 Nov 2007
Posts: 1102
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 135 [0], given: 0

Re: cr - strengthen the argument [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2008, 02:40
hanumayamma wrote:
Conclusion: Throughout Delmont’s tenure the average paycheck in this city has been getting steadily bigger.

A. The average pay for jobs created in the city during the past three years was higher than the average pay for jobs created in the city earlier in Mayor Delmont’s tenure. [Hold it]
B. Average pay in the city was at a ten-year low when Mayor Delmont took office.[What was average salary when Mayor took office is irrelevant]
C. Some of the jobs created in the city during Mayor Delmont’s tenure have in the
meantime been eliminated again.[Weakens – This weakens the argument – eliminate it]
D. The average pay for jobs eliminated in the city during Mayor Delmont’s tenure has been roughly equal every year to the average pay for jobs citywide.[Weakens – Eliminate it]
E. The average pay for jobs in the city is currently higher than it is for jobs in the suburbs surrounding the city.[Suburbs and surrounding the city is not discussed in the argument – eliminate it]
Answer: A


OA is C. how come???
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 21 Dec 2007
Posts: 99
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

Re: cr - strengthen the argument [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2008, 02:58
ill go for A as well....how come C is the correct option...plzzz explain..
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 22 Nov 2007
Posts: 1102
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 135 [0], given: 0

Re: cr - strengthen the argument [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2008, 03:14
rafiaiqbal wrote:
ill go for A as well....how come C is the correct option...plzzz explain..



source is GMATPrep....please someone help us!
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 18 May 2007
Posts: 56
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

Re: cr - strengthen the argument [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2008, 04:53
The question probably is weaken, instead of strengthen the argument.

In that case, C might be the correct option. IS that a possibility?
Expert Post
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Posts: 3572
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Followers: 367

Kudos [?]: 1851 [0], given: 359

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: cr - strengthen the argument [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2008, 03:57
Expert's post
My answer is D.

C? C weakens the argument.

I used "search" and found that OA is D: 11-t35534
_________________

HOT! GMAT TOOLKIT 2 (iOS) / GMAT TOOLKIT (Android) - The OFFICIAL GMAT CLUB PREP APP, a must-have app especially if you aim at 700+ | PrepGame

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 14 Oct 2007
Posts: 759
Location: Oxford
Schools: Oxford'10
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 178 [0], given: 8

Re: cr - strengthen the argument [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2008, 04:49
Conclusion: Delmont's leadership = BETTER paying jobs
marcodonzelli wrote:
Political Advertisement:

Mayor Delmont’s critics complain about the jobs that were lost in the city under Delmont’s leadership. Yet the fact is that not only were more jobs created than were eliminated, but the average pay for these new jobs has been higher than the average pay
for jobs citywide every year since Delmont took office. So there can be no question that throughout Delmont’s tenure the average paycheck in this city has been getting steadily bigger.
Which of the following, if true, most strengthens the argument in the advertisement?

A. The average pay for jobs created in the city during the past three years was higher than the average pay for jobs created in the city earlier in Mayor Delmont’s tenure. we know nothing about how long his tenure was
B. Average pay in the city was at a ten-year low when Mayor Delmont took office. correctly strengths the conclusion that Delmont's leadership had something to do with more better paying jobs during his tenure
C. Some of the jobs created in the city during Mayor Delmont’s tenure have in the
meantime been eliminated again. weakens
D. The average pay for jobs eliminated in the city during Mayor Delmont’s tenure has been roughly equal every year to the average pay for jobs citywide. irrelevant,
E. The average pay for jobs in the city is currently higher than it is for jobs in the suburbs surrounding the city. irrelevant
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 22 Oct 2006
Posts: 1443
Schools: Chicago Booth '11
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 150 [0], given: 12

Re: cr - strengthen the argument [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2008, 08:46
D strengthens the argument the most.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 19 Nov 2007
Posts: 477
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 4

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: cr - strengthen the argument [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2008, 17:38
yea , D for me too.
No way, it can be C!!
_________________

-Underline your question. It takes only a few seconds!
-Search before you post.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 26 Jan 2008
Posts: 267
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 74 [0], given: 1

Re: cr - strengthen the argument [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2008, 18:08
marcodonzelli wrote:
Political Advertisement:

Mayor Delmont’s critics complain about the jobs that were lost in the city under Delmont’s leadership. Yet the fact is that not only were more jobs created than were eliminated, but the average pay for these new jobs has been higher than the average pay
for jobs citywide every year since Delmont took office. So there can be no question that throughout Delmont’s tenure the average paycheck in this city has been getting steadily bigger.
Which of the following, if true, most strengthens the argument in the advertisement?

A. The average pay for jobs created in the city during the past three years was higher than the average pay for jobs created in the city earlier in Mayor Delmont’s tenure.
B. Average pay in the city was at a ten-year low when Mayor Delmont took office.
C. Some of the jobs created in the city during Mayor Delmont’s tenure have in the
meantime been eliminated again.
D. The average pay for jobs eliminated in the city during Mayor Delmont’s tenure has been roughly equal every year to the average pay for jobs citywide.
E. The average pay for jobs in the city is currently higher than it is for jobs in the suburbs surrounding the city.


The answer is (D). New jobs created had an increase in average pay. What about jobs that were eliminated?

(A) Simply re-iterates whats presented in the statement. Nothing about eliminated jobs.
(B) What about over 10 years back? This is ambiguous.
(C) Incomplete information - doesn't strengthen the argument. What new jobs were eliminated - how does that affect the overall average?
(D) Correct. These eliminated jobs at an average did not negatively impact the overall average, and hence support the statistic in question.
(E) Irrelevant
_________________

My GMAT debrief

Re: cr - strengthen the argument   [#permalink] 29 Jan 2008, 18:08
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Political Advertisement: Mayor Delmont s critics complain johnycute 7 18 Dec 2006, 06:44
Political Advertisement: Mayor Delmont s critics complain jerrywu 20 21 Sep 2006, 07:44
Political Advertisement: Mayor Delmont s critics complain nakib77 12 19 Dec 2005, 03:52
Political Advertisement: Mayor Delmont's critics complain taquanghai 2 23 Jul 2005, 09:15
1 Political Advertisement: Mayor Delmont s critics complain chunjuwu 14 14 Dec 2004, 06:16
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Political Advertisement: Mayor Delmont s critics complain

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.