Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Jul 2014, 17:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Political Commentator: In order for a democracy to flourish,

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 2

Reviews Badge
Political Commentator: In order for a democracy to flourish, [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2012, 18:11
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

49% (02:21) correct 51% (01:26) wrong based on 212 sessions
Political Commentator: In order for a democracy to flourish, it is essential that political and journalistic freedom of expression exist. Even if commentators voice ideas that do not support the current government, a society is strengthened by the variety of views expressed. Yet, our government continues to exercise a stranglehold on certain forms of speech. It is essential that the government loosen its control on the media. Despite the potential short-term instability this may cause the country, it will strengthen the long-term health of the country.

Which of the following expresses the conclusion of the argument?

A) The government is exercising too much control over the media
B) The government needs to open the media and release its hold on certain forms of speech
C) Democracy requires a strong and free press
D) Even ideas not supportive of democracy can strengthen a government
E) The future of the media lies in the hands of the government
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Push +1 kudos button please, if you like my post

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 660 Q V
GPA: 3.22
WE: Corporate Finance (Consulting)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 16

Re: Political Commentator: In order for a democracy to flourish [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2012, 06:39
kingb wrote:
Political Commentator: In order for a democracy to flourish, it is essential that political and journalistic freedom of expression exist. Even if commentators voice ideas that do not support the current government, a society is strengthened by the variety of views expressed. Yet, our government continues to exercise a stranglehold on certain forms of speech. It is essential that the government loosen its control on the media. Despite the potential short-term instability this may cause the country, it will strengthen the long-term health of the country.

Which of the following expresses the conclusion of the argument?

A) The government is exercising too much control over the media
B) The government needs to open the media and release its hold on certain forms of speech
C) Democracy requires a strong and free press
D) Even ideas not supportive of democracy can strengthen a government
E) The future of the media lies in the hands of the government

This is straight-up B.

This question tests one's skill in identifying the parts of the argument.

The first sentence is a premise.

The second sentence is a premise.

The third sentence is a premise.

The fourth sentence is THE conclusion.

The fifth sentence is a premise.

Kudos please? :)

Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.
- T. Roosevelt

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 16

Re: Political Commentator: In order for a democracy to flourish, [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2013, 20:00
I think find-the-conclusion question is the reading comprehention problem. I am non native. before I can not do this question because I read badly but now I can do it because my reading skill is better.

If anyone in this gmat forum is in England,Britain, pls, email to me, (thanghnvn@gmail.com) . I have some questions and need your advise. Thank a lot.

SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 137 [0], given: 254

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Political Commentator: In order for a democracy to flourish, [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2014, 06:59
Could anybody elaborate on why D is wrong here?

Cheers!
J
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
WE: Engineering (Consumer Electronics)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 80

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Political Commentator: In order for a democracy to flourish, [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2014, 22:20
This post received
KUDOS
jlgdr
Could anybody elaborate on why D is wrong here?

Cheers!
J

My 2 cents reply

1.Ideas/Views strengthen society NOT democracy
2. No connection between Ideas/views STRENGTHENING the govt.

E&OE
Re: Political Commentator: In order for a democracy to flourish,   [#permalink] 22 Mar 2014, 22:20