Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 14:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Political Science UG

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Political Science UG [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2008, 12:44
I'm a junior undergrad who will be earning a degree in political science. The original plan was law school, but with time I've become more and more interested in earning an MBA.

Unfortunately, I know nothing about the process or the GMAT -- just about the law school process. I have a strong GPA (3.8) with many leadership EC's (student government, honors society, campus tour guide, etc.) but I'm coming from a 4th tier state school. I have no relevant work experience, although I had a summer internship at a law firm.

Is it possible for a poli sci major to get accepted to a good business school if his GMAT and GPA scores are high enough?

Thank you.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Ross 2010
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 1

Re: Political Science UG [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2008, 12:54
Your issue will likely not be the UG school, GPA or GMAT. It will be the lack of work experience. B-schools like work experience and the few people that I know who've gone straight from UG have been extremely strong academically and come from Ivy league schools. Why don't you work for a few years first? Get experience doing something you like and then apply.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 701 [0], given: 5

Re: Political Science UG [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2008, 13:39
I had a 3.4 from a state college (I wouldnt even consider it any tier). Although I had an advantage in that I went to an extremely unique school and an unusual major. I was accepted to a top 5 school, so its definitely possible.

The quality of your UG is not going to be as important as your post school work experience. Generally you want a minimum of two years, I would say 3 or 4 with good progression would make your chances a lot better. Besides applications are way up these days, in 3-4 years they could drop back to where they were a few years ago which would make things much easier.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.
Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: Political Science UG [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2008, 15:03
I'm a sociology major and I got into a pretty good program! I have to admit I was a bit intimidated by my "weak" major, but nobody mentioned it as a point of concern in any of my interviews.

The only time my major has been an issue is when I interviewed with a CEO at McKesson. He was a prick in many other ways too, though.
Re: Political Science UG   [#permalink] 12 Jan 2008, 15:03