Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Apr 2014, 17:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Politician: Those economists who claim that consumer price

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 277 [0], given: 19

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Politician: Those economists who claim that consumer price [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2012, 11:05
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

91% (01:00) correct 8% (01:44) wrong based on 93 sessions
Politician: Those economists who claim that consumer price increases have averaged less
than 3 percent over the last year are mistaken. They clearly have not shopped anywhere
recently. Gasoline is up 10 percent over the last year; my auto insurance, 12 percent;
newspapers, 15 percent; propane, 13%; bread, 50 percent. The reasoning in the politician’s
argument is most vulnerable to criticism on the grounds that the argument
a) impugns the character of the economists rather than addressing their arguments
b) fails to show that the economists mentioned are not experts in the area of consumer prices
c) mistakenly infers that something is not true from the claim that it has not been shown to be
so
d) uses evidence drawn from a small sample that may well be unrepresentative
e) attempts to persuade by making an emotional appeal

Main CR Qs link - cr-qs-600-700-level-131508.html
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Push +1 kudos button please, if you like my post.

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Re: CR - Flaw in Argument [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2012, 16:28
I marked D. However i need a reason for eliminating C .
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT 1: Q47 V35
GPA: 3.86
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 18

Re: CR - Flaw in Argument [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2012, 15:55
c) mistakenly infers that something is not true from the claim that it has not been shown to be
so - this answer is irrelevant to the statement: the claim "has not been shown to be" true; however, it hasn't been shown to be false either. Politician; however, says that the claim is wrong on the basis of a few items that did increase in price more than 3%; however, those items don't represent ALL consumer prices (let's say prices for make up, shoes...etc went down 30%). That's the main flaw in the politician's reasoning. D it is.

Hope this helps :)
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: Politician: Those economists who claim that consumer price [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2012, 03:14
Clear D.

Took some time to solve this but got it at the end.
Thank you for the question
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 44

Re: Politician: Those economists who claim that consumer price [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2012, 07:25
why you marked it in 700 level question ?? do tag accurately

If you found my contribution helpful, please click the +1 Kudos button on the left, I kinda need some =)

Re: Politician: Those economists who claim that consumer price   [#permalink] 10 Aug 2012, 07:25