Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 12 Jul 2014, 18:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Poll: How Much Does the MBA Brand Name Matter to You?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Which Would You Pick If You Had a Choice?

• 59% [80]
  • 17% [24]
  • 21% [29]
  • 1% [2]
TAGS:
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2136

Kudos [?]: 7314 [0], given: 3619

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Poll: How Much Does the MBA Brand Name Matter to You? [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2011, 20:14
Expert's post
There was a question posted earlier: how-much-does-school-brand-name-matter-121224.html and I wanted to see what the community felt was important to them - the poll is ANONYMOUS, so feel free to vote as you truly feel - please choose one!

Previous Polls:

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
2 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 77

Kudos [?]: 691 [2] , given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Poll: How Much Does the MBA Brand Name Matter to You? [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2011, 09:27
This post received
KUDOS
The thread BB posted had some great points. Interestingly, the names I recognize as students/alums of schools pretty much said Booth. Now if it was HBS vs a school in the high teens, I think it might have been a different story. But those of us paying what amounts to a small mortgage would say as long as the two schools are in the same tier and there isn't any huge difference in terms of career opportunities for what you want to do, hands down take the full ride. If it was 15k a year that is a different story...but the difference between 150k worth of debt and a few grand a month in loan payments vs no debt is huge right out of school.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Followers: 93

Kudos [?]: 398 [1] , given: 73

Premium Member
Re: Poll: How Much Does the MBA Brand Name Matter to You? [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2011, 02:02
This post received
KUDOS
Within the top 20 (actually top 16) for me it's about fit. I'm not going to go to a school that doesn't appeal to me just because it's higher ranked. I think that's why I'm not mentally ranking the schools I apply to. I think once I do that I'd feel like I'm settling if I didn't get into my #1 choice. Personally, I think this process is a life suck so I'm only applying to schools I would attend if admitted. I'm not going to get into 3 or 4 schools then turn down all offers because I didn't get into the schools I really wanted. If I'm applying that means I really want to be there ($$$ or not).

The Brain Dump - From Low GPA to Top MBA (Updated September 1, 2013) - A Few of My Favorite Things--> http://cheetarah1980.blogspot.com

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Affiliations: CBS Class of 2014
Concentration: Finance
Schools: CBS '14 (M)
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 19 [1] , given: 8

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Poll: How Much Does the MBA Brand Name Matter to You? [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2011, 04:47
This post received
KUDOS
Thanks for the poll BB. I've commented on this in another thread about Cornell. I would attend an M7 school before attending a T15 with scholarship. You have to think long-term. The added 50K of debt or so is trivial when you consider lifetime earnings. If you are too focused on the short-term... an MBA probably isn't the right choice for you anyway. If you come out and get a place at a top firm... you will more than make up for the 50% scholarship or 100% for sub tier schools within 3-5 years... the rest will be gravy.

Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: Poll: How Much Does the MBA Brand Name Matter to You? [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2011, 09:16
Expert's post
Here is a thread that has dealt with this in the past and decisions people made (I will try to find some more)
Booth Full Ride vs HBS - Poll with 126 votes and 5 pages of discussions :)

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 8

Re: Poll: How Much Does the MBA Brand Name Matter to You? [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2011, 09:31
BB, was an interesting read.. this post seems a bit different.. measuring t10 to t20 and so-forth. An M7 with debt vs a T15 without debt.. I'm taking the M7 all day... schools within the M7.. I would have to say take the money.

Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: Poll: How Much Does the MBA Brand Name Matter to You? [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2011, 12:29
Expert's post
losttraveler wrote:
BB, was an interesting read.. this post seems a bit different.. measuring t10 to t20 and so-forth. An M7 with debt vs a T15 without debt.. I'm taking the M7 all day... schools within the M7.. I would have to say take the money.

Yes agreed - not apples to apples (though relevant when it comes to choosing schools esp. ones that are so close in rankings and so far away in the cost)

Founder of GMAT Club

Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: Poll: How Much Does the MBA Brand Name Matter to You? [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2011, 12:43
Expert's post
riverripper wrote:
The thread BB posted had some great points. Interestingly, the names I recognize as students/alums of schools pretty much said Booth. Now if it was HBS vs a school in the high teens, I think it might have been a different story. But those of us paying what amounts to a small mortgage would say as long as the two schools are in the same tier and there isn't any huge difference in terms of career opportunities for what you want to do, hands down take the full ride. If it was 15k a year that is a different story...but the difference between 150k worth of debt and a few grand a month in loan payments vs no debt is huge right out of school.

I agree. It is quite pressing if you have a $1.5-2K a month payment on your student loans - you can't be an entrepreneur, that's for one. Startup at that point is out of question and the stress of making the payment is not helping either (though I doubt you will have too much hassle finding at least some kind of a job).

There has to be something said about the budget after graduating.
Keep in mind that if you are a "normal" student, you will have quite a few expenses after you graduate:
- Move
- Get new clothes (most likely your older stuff won't fit you due to the weight you gain during those all-nighters)
- Renting
- Buying a new car (potentially)
- Other costs

Your savings will be exhausted at that point and you will potentially have credit card debt (most likely). Having a sign up bonus is very helpful (that's what it is designed to mitigate) but it is not always offered.

On the other hand, you will be making 100,000+ and in a higher tax bracket, so if you made 60K and took 50 home, you will now only take 65% or less. No deduction for Student Loan interest with that income either.... so it adds up to the burden. Not having a loan is very helpful...

Founder of GMAT Club

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 8

Re: Poll: How Much Does the MBA Brand Name Matter to You? [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2011, 15:17
Agreed.. a lot of financial discipline required to rid yourself of the debt in a timely manner to pursue ventures like startups or other avenue. Hopefully CBS gives me some kinda money... otherwise I'll be working a part-time job starting spring semester and my 2nd year to mitigate costs... even with my savings.. I'm expecting a hefty debt load. I think you touched on some key points. The new clothes... that's something people don't consider. If you're rebuying a bunch of brooks brothers shirts, pants, shoes, etc.. you're looking at 1-2K to just get a wardrobe established to show up... it all adds up. However, if you're responsible and pay down the debt and live reasonably for a few years.. it gets much better ;)

Re: Poll: How Much Does the MBA Brand Name Matter to You?   [#permalink] 29 Sep 2011, 15:17