Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Apr 2014, 22:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Poll: UNC vs. Texas

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Which school should I attend

• 20% [4]
  • 80% [16]
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q V
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Poll: UNC vs. Texas [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2013, 07:44
I've been fortunate enough to get into both Kenan Flagler and McCombs. I thought this would be an easier decision (I was always leaning towards Texas) but have been struggling recently. I live in the Mid Atlantic, and I've had some reserves that going to UT might make it harder to return to the east coast if I decide that is what I want in the future. My focus is energy/entrepreneurship and I have a strong interest in Marketing. I received $10k to go to Texas, and was not offered any financial incentives from UNC. Is anybody facing a similar decision? They are both amazing schools, so I feel fortunate to be in this position. Just want to make the right move!!

Edit: Added Poll
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 23

Re: Poll: UNC vs. Texas [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2013, 08:10
The poll isn't working.

anyway, tough choice, they are both similarly ranked. For your goals of energy/entrepreneurship I think McCombs has the clear advantage. Actually they are among the top of any program for energy and entrepreneurship. But both schools are more regional in recruiting and placement, so McCombs typically places a majority of grads in the southwest whereas Kenan Flagler places typically in the mid atlantic which sounds like a benefit to you.

As far as the Austin vs Chapel Hill I'd definitely say Austin is a better place to spend your two years. The city is great. Are you wanting to live in the mid atlantic right after school, or just some time down the road?

Personally I'd pick Texas, especially with the bonus of the scholarship. You might have to do some footwork to get back to the mid-atlantic but I think their ties to the energy sector would be a huge benefit.
Intern
Intern

Re: Poll: UNC vs. Texas [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2013, 08:19
kasonhills wrote:
The poll isn't working.

anyway, tough choice, they are both similarly ranked. For your goals of energy/entrepreneurship I think McCombs has the clear advantage. Actually they are among the top of any program for energy and entrepreneurship. But both schools are more regional in recruiting and placement, so McCombs typically places a majority of grads in the southwest whereas Kenan Flagler places typically in the mid atlantic which sounds like a benefit to you.

As far as the Austin vs Chapel Hill I'd definitely say Austin is a better place to spend your two years. The city is great. Are you wanting to live in the mid atlantic right after school, or just some time down the road?

Personally I'd pick Texas, especially with the bonus of the scholarship. You might have to do some footwork to get back to the mid-atlantic but I think their ties to the energy sector would be a huge benefit.

Thanks for your input. I'm not partial to the mid atlantic right after school, but I would like to have the flexibility to come back if I wanted to. It'd be a lot easier to do from UNC. I've lived in Austin before, and it was amazing, however I know realistically most students go elsewhere in the SW after business school. It'd be a fun two years in Austin, plus about $20k cheaper with the scholarship but definitely more regional with placement.
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE: Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 192 [0], given: 625

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Poll: UNC vs. Texas [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2013, 09:37
You mentioned your interest is energy/entrepreneurship; do you mean you are interested in entrepreneurship in the energy sector or are those two distinct interests? I ask because McCombs is obviously huge for energy and there is a vibrant start-up scene in Austin. I'm not familiar with the Mid-Atlantic region, but are there opportunities there for what you want to do?
Intern
Intern

Re: Poll: UNC vs. Texas [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2013, 09:47
kingfalcon wrote:
You mentioned your interest is energy/entrepreneurship; do you mean you are interested in entrepreneurship in the energy sector or are those two distinct interests? I ask because McCombs is obviously huge for energy and there is a vibrant start-up scene in Austin. I'm not familiar with the Mid-Atlantic region, but are there opportunities there for what you want to do?

I'm really going to B-School with an open mind. Big Oil/Gas/Utilities is kind of my fall back, entrepreneurship is my future aspiration although not necessarily in the energy industry. D.C. & NY are becoming stronger in tech start ups of all types.
Current Student
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 96

Re: Poll: UNC vs. Texas [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2013, 14:51
kasonhills wrote:
The poll isn't working.

absolutely mccombs for all those reasons.. but definitely go to both admit weekends if you can
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
GMAT 1: Q V
GPA: 3.7
WE: Analyst (Other)

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 1

Re: Poll: UNC vs. Texas [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2013, 10:49
mccombs - austin is awesome
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V45

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 11

Re: Poll: UNC vs. Texas [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2013, 12:08
I'd say mccombs fits your career goals much better than unc. But it sort of sounds like you're leaning towards unc. If unc will help you get into energy or launch a business then go for it, but I think you'd have an easier time at Texas.
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools: Kelley (Indiana) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.5
WE: Operations (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 23

Re: Poll: UNC vs. Texas [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2013, 22:38
I'm another KF admirer but your career goals, school location (since you clearly like Austin) and the bit of money McCombs is offering would tilt the decision towards McCombs if I were in your situation.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 680 Q43 V39
GPA: 3.35

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 1

Re: Poll: UNC vs. Texas [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2013, 12:09
I thought I was going to have to make this same decision until recently. If I had to pick I was leaning towards UT also, but only because I'd be on the uber-cheap in-state tution. Nothing about the McCombs application/interview/visit process has me impressed. Poking through the McCombs application thread, there are still people who haven't received their decisions yet and won't until mid-next week, which is after their deadline.

But yea, Austin>> Chapel Hill. Though I'm not sure I could find to many cities that would even be equal to Austin, let alone have a top-20 B-school. I'm not a NY/LA/Chicago/Boston guy. I like clean air and pool weather.
Intern
Intern

Re: Poll: UNC vs. Texas [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2013, 09:27
scschnei wrote:
I thought I was going to have to make this same decision until recently. If I had to pick I was leaning towards UT also, but only because I'd be on the uber-cheap in-state tution. Nothing about the McCombs application/interview/visit process has me impressed. Poking through the McCombs application thread, there are still people who haven't received their decisions yet and won't until mid-next week, which is after their deadline.

But yea, Austin>> Chapel Hill. Though I'm not sure I could find to many cities that would even be equal to Austin, let alone have a top-20 B-school. I'm not a NY/LA/Chicago/Boston guy. I like clean air and pool weather.

Thanks for all the input. Are you headed to Kenan-Flagler?
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 680 Q43 V39
GPA: 3.35

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 1

Re: Poll: UNC vs. Texas [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2013, 11:00
spb101 wrote:
scschnei wrote:

Thanks for all the input. Are you headed to Kenan-Flagler?

Unless Michigan admits me, I'll be there.
Re: Poll: UNC vs. Texas   [#permalink] 09 Apr 2013, 11:00