Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 14:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Polling data reveal that an overwhelming majority of 9 year

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 198 [0], given: 9

GMAT Tests User
Polling data reveal that an overwhelming majority of 9 year [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2009, 10:24
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

16% (01:50) correct 84% (01:53) wrong based on 44 sessions
Polling data reveal that an overwhelming majority of 9 year olds can correctly identify the logos of major cigarette brands. However, of those 9 year olds who recognize such logos, less than 1% smoke. Therefore, there is little or no connection between recognition of cigarette brand logos and smoking.

Which one of the following uses flawed reasoning most similar to the flawed reasoning above?

A) The concern about the long-term effects on dolphins of small quantities of mercury in the ocean is unfounded. During a three-month period, 1,000 dolphins were exposed to small quantities of mercury in seawater, with no effect on the animal.

B) Many ten-year-olds dream of becoming actors. Yet it is not likely they will seriously consider becoming actors, because most parents discourage their children from pursuing such a highly competitive career.

C) Most dentist recommend using fluoride to reduce incidence of cavities, but few recommend giving up candy entirely; so, using fluoride is probably more effective in preventing cavities than is avoiding sweets.

D) A large percentage of men exercise moderately throughout their lives, but the average life span of tose who do so is not significantly greater than of those who get little or no exercise. So there is little or no correlation between moderate exercise and good health.

E) Most people cannot name their legislative representatives. Nonetheless, this is insignificant, for when queried, most of them displayed an adequate command of current political issues.

OA and OE will follow.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Polling data reveal that an overwhelming majority of 9 year [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2009, 10:33
ill go for A...
in original argument ,a case of 9 yr old is taken to justify a pt .. similarly in A a gp of dolphin is taken to justify the effect on the entire species..
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 162 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Polling data reveal that an overwhelming majority of 9 year [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2009, 11:30
I will go for D. It is exactly same as the original argument.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Fuqua
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 121 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: Polling data reveal that an overwhelming majority of 9 year [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2009, 12:38
One more vote for D.

The problem I see with A is that, when 1000 dolphins were exposed to small quantities of mercury in sea water, none of them are effected. But the reasoning in the stimulus is stating that less thatn 1% are effected.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: Polling data reveal that an overwhelming majority of 9 year [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2009, 13:21
I will also go for D and wording in D also matches with question wording . I am suspicious that D may be wrong as this was quite obvious choice .

Always tag your question

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: Polling data reveal that an overwhelming majority of 9 year [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2009, 14:27
I went with D as well but I do feel it is also a trap answer.

E is my 2nd guess as it says. there is no correlation between knowing the people and knowing the issues.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 162 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Polling data reveal that an overwhelming majority of 9 year [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2009, 12:00
what is OA?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Polling data reveal that an overwhelming majority of 9 year [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2009, 01:22
you were all right D is a trap answer :)

The correct answer choice is A.

The method of reasoning in the stimulus is a cause-effect relationship that is denied.

The flawed in reasoning is that you cannot extract that conclusion from nine-year-olds who cannot purchase their own cigarettes.

The problem with option D is that switches terms from the premise to the conclusion. The premise is about "average life span", but the conclusion is about "good health". Another problem is that this answer relates the group to an average ("average life span") whereas the stimulus related the group to a specific result ("smoking")
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

Re: Polling data reveal that an overwhelming majority of 9 year [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2009, 07:04
Agreed.

Can you please map the flaw to the correct answer option as well ??

I mean, I know why D is wrong answer, not why A is the correct answer..

Thanks

mikeCoolBoy wrote:
you were all right D is a trap answer :)

The correct answer choice is A.

The method of reasoning in the stimulus is a cause-effect relationship that is denied.

The flawed in reasoning is that you cannot extract that conclusion from nine-year-olds who cannot purchase their own cigarettes.

The problem with option D is that switches terms from the premise to the conclusion. The premise is about "average life span", but the conclusion is about "good health". Another problem is that this answer relates the group to an average ("average life span") whereas the stimulus related the group to a specific result ("smoking")
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 198 [1] , given: 9

GMAT Tests User
Re: Polling data reveal that an overwhelming majority of 9 year [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2009, 08:27
This post received
KUDOS
Both A and the stimulus follow the same method of reasoning. It helps to diagram the stimulus to see this relation

many children ---> identify logos
those children ---> not smoke
--------------------------------------------------
no correlation between identify logos and smoking

many dolphins ---> exposed to small quantities of mercury in seawater
those dolphins ---> no effect on the animal
-------------------------------------------------------------------
no correlation between mercury and effects on the animal

Let me know if this helps
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

Re: Polling data reveal that an overwhelming majority of 9 year [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2009, 09:20
it did !!!

thanks..

mikeCoolBoy wrote:
Both A and the stimulus follow the same method of reasoning. It helps to diagram the stimulus to see this relation

many children ---> identify logos
those children ---> not smoke
--------------------------------------------------
no correlation between identify logos and smoking

many dolphins ---> exposed to small quantities of mercury in seawater
those dolphins ---> no effect on the animal
-------------------------------------------------------------------
no correlation between mercury and effects on the animal

Let me know if this helps
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Polling data reveal that an overwhelming majority of 9 year [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2009, 09:55
mbaquestionmark wrote:
it did !!!

thanks..

you're welcome
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 25

GMAT Tests User
Re: Polling data reveal that an overwhelming majority of 9 year [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2009, 10:24
Good one!

was initially confused between A and E
Expert Post
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Followers: 85

Kudos [?]: 478 [0], given: 431

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Polling data reveal that an overwhelming majority of 9 year [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2009, 17:45
Expert's post
This question was indeed a difficult one. I see why A is the best answer now. However, I find the phrase "there is little or no connection between recognition of cigarette brand logos and smoking" so much more general than the dolphin reasoning. It's not exactly the most symmetric answer I have come across. But it's the best choice from the lot.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Schools: ISB

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Polling data reveal that an overwhelming majority of 9 year [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2009, 19:22
Excellent question and excellent explaination !!!
I too had gone with D .
Thanks for the question !
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: UT at Austin, Indiana State University, UC at Berkeley
WE 1: 5.5
WE 2: 5.5
WE 3: 6.0
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: Polling data reveal that an overwhelming majority of 9 year [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2010, 20:10
Ok, I understand why the flawed in reasoning is that you cannot extract that conclusion from nine-year-olds who cannot purchase their own cigarettes,

but why do you think that the fact because dolphins did not suffer of exposure to small quantities of mercury in seawater is flawed. I think it logically shows that because it worked on 100 dolphins it should work on other dolphins as well.

In the example with 9 year old kids it was understandable that they can not buy cigarettes, and that is why they may be not smoking. I do not see any of that problem in the choice A.

Never give up,,,

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
WE 1: 4 years Tech
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 149

GMAT Tests User
Re: Polling data reveal that an overwhelming majority of 9 year [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2011, 13:39
can we discuss this

My Post Invites Discussions not answers
Try to give back something to the Forum.I want your explanations, right now !
Please let me know your opinion about the Chandigarh Gmat Centrehttp://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-experience-at-chandigarh-india-centre-111830.html

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: Polling data reveal that an overwhelming majority of 9 year [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2011, 00:41
i too went for D .. excellent question,..
SVP
SVP
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 288 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Polling data reveal that an overwhelming majority of 9 year [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2011, 22:35
The answer is A.

Formula of Life -> Achievement/Potential = k * Happiness (where k is a constant)

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Columbia, INSEAD, RSM, LBS
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Polling data reveal that an overwhelming majority of 9 year [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2011, 05:10
A
Re: Polling data reveal that an overwhelming majority of 9 year   [#permalink] 19 Apr 2011, 05:10