Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 11 Jul 2014, 00:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Poor and Clueless

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 130 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Poor and Clueless [#permalink] New post 02 May 2005, 21:33
Lately, I've been doing some quick calculations, and I realized that I might never get to Insead or Chicago (my top 2 choices) or any other universities in the States for that matter because of the #1 problem that plagues everyone: Money.

I thought about taking a loan, but that wouldn't work out in the long term. Next year, I have to come up with money for my wedding, then a house, and there's a car which I am paying off by installments. The next thing to come up with would be expenses for the kids and their education, all of which leaves me with the tightest of budgets.

Okay, I might ace a scholarship, but that still doesn't solve my problem. A US$10K per year scholarship would still rquire me to take out a loan of some sort. This is excluding the requirement for me to quit my currnet job, which pays me a paltry sum each month, but at least still something that can help pay off the bills.

So all these problems leaves me looking at MBA or MFE courses at two local universities - National University of Singpoare, and Nanyang Techonological University. Both offer MBA/MFE courses that costs about S$25K for a MBA and S$20K for a MFE. However, I'm quite skeptical about how they stand up to degrees from the States. For starters, both require only a GMAT score fo 620 (duh.... that ain't even enough to get you into a near-frontier elite business school). Secondly, both do not need an interview (well, speaks so much for competition). It doesn't really make much sense to invest S$20K and have no means of recouping that sum (via employment)

So I'm now pretty much clueless what I'm going to do now.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
CEO
CEO
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 427 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 03 May 2005, 14:59
In defense of NUS and Nanyang, both are accredited by AACSB International and both have been ranked in the top 100 by EIU at least once in recent years. In addition, NUS has a partnership with UCLA and Nanyang is accredited by EQUIS.

Nonetheless, I see your point. However, matters might not be as bleak as they appear at first glance- with a combination of a scholarship and an assistantship it might be possible to minimize your expenses for your time in the US.

Hjort
CEO
CEO

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 03 May 2005, 16:15
I came across Singapore Management University's Masters in Applied Finance program. It is interesting to note that the bachelors of business program is an adaptation of the Wharton model.

http://www.smu.edu.sg/MAF/admission.asp
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 130 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 May 2005, 05:33
Hjort wrote:
In defense of NUS and Nanyang, both are accredited by AACSB International and both have been ranked in the top 100 by EIU at least once in recent years. In addition, NUS has a partnership with UCLA and Nanyang is accredited by EQUIS.

Nonetheless, I see your point. However, matters might not be as bleak as they appear at first glance- with a combination of a scholarship and an assistantship it might be possible to minimize your expenses for your time in the US.

Hjort

Hi Hjort, thanks for the information. I did notice the partnership with UCLA but that program is open only to individuals with at least 8-10 yrs of some experience in management, so it's pretty much out of the question for the time being.

Still, what's an assitantship ? It's the first time I have come across this term.

I'm also looking at the SMU M.sc in Applied Finance. I have given it a glance a very long time back but didn't read too much into it as it appears to be a little too focused (geared towards CFA). Still it's interesting to note that SMU has the Wharton School as one of its many partners.

I'll do some detail study at their courses and post here again.
CEO
CEO

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 May 2005, 10:01
I have been expanding coveage of tuition, fees, and price adjustments for each school.

The following link provides an example of an assistantship program:

http://www.terry.uga.edu/mba/programs/t ... ncial.html

I look forward to hearing more about Singapore Mgmt University.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2005, 01:20
ywilfred wrote:
Hjort wrote:

Hjort

Hi Hjort, thanks for the information. I did notice the partnership with UCLA but that program is open only to individuals with at least 8-10 yrs of some experience in management, so it's pretty much out of the question for the time being.

Still, what's an assitantship ? It's the first time I have come across this term.

I'm also looking at the SMU M.sc in Applied Finance. I have given it a glance a very long time back but didn't read too much into it as it appears to be a little too focused (geared towards CFA). Still it's interesting to note that SMU has the Wharton School as one of its many partners.

I'll do some detail study at their courses and post here again.

Hi ywilfred,

Have you managed to look into their courses in greater details? I had a friend who is also thinking of doing a Masters - and we talked abit about the various programs in the local (Singapore) universities. Just wondering what are your thoughts...

Cheers,
  [#permalink] 20 Oct 2005, 01:20