Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Sep 2014, 02:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Poor applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Poor applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2007, 00:04
MBA News: Waitlist Email Mistakenly Sent to All Georgetown McDonough School Applicants

It’s been a tough day for the admissions office at Georgetown University’s McDonough School of Business. This morning, an email notification of a waitlist decision went out to the entire applicant database - including those candidates who already received final admit or deny decisions earlier in the year. The school quickly realized the error and is working to contact all of the applicants affected by the situation. Below is the text from a follow-up email sent to students whose final decisions are still pending:

[i][color=darkred]“Due to a technical error in our Apply Yourself online application system, you may have erroneously received an e-mail waitlisting you for the program. This was an error, and we sincerely apologize. Your admission decision will be forthcoming shortly. We appreciate your understanding.â€
SVP
SVP
Schools: Darden
Followers: 41

Kudos [?]: 423 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2007, 00:45
Ouch, that is a nightmare, for the school and the students. I think everyone must have the fear that a decision that they have received (interview invite, admit, etc.) was in error. At least it was only a wait list email. Imagine if they would have sent admit or deny notices to everyone. Now that would have been bad.
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2007, 02:29
pelihu wrote:
Ouch, that is a nightmare, for the school and the students. I think everyone must have the fear that a decision that they have received (interview invite, admit, etc.) was in error. At least it was only a wait list email. Imagine if they would have sent admit or deny notices to everyone. Now that would have been bad.

I agree just imagine
I see admit I am jumping up and down and telling the whole world balh blah and then an e-mail arrives sorry your admit was a computer softwware failure we apologize for inconvenience :lol: :lol:
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2007, 03:22
Ooops! Thats a painful day for all the GT applicants!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 255

Kudos [?]: 1540 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2007, 06:03
Yea, I think an erroneous admit would have been the worst.
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2007, 06:05
I actually read about this mistake on Bweek boards before I opened that waitlist email, which was a good thing. Would have been pissed otherwise.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2007, 06:36
What a bunch of clowns.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2007, 06:49
kidderek wrote:
What a bunch of clowns.

Agree, I have not been impressed with the GTown adcomm during this application season - too many little miscues for my liking.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2007, 07:05
Back in jhs, we had to take a test to gain entrance to specialized high schools. Scores were posted alongside the test taker's respective ss#. A friend of mine scored high enough to get into the second best of three schools. I was happy for him but a bit surprised b/c he wasn't the "brightest" kid and he scored higher than a few others I knew who were clearly smarter than him.

Turns out, the admissions counselor posted the wrong score for him and he was not admitted to any of the three schools. He and his family were devastated.

It's not exactly life or death for the applicant (most of the time), but it's certainly not rocket science for admissions people.

Last edited by kidderek on 09 Mar 2007, 07:05, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2007, 07:05
I applied to Gtown and have not been impressed thus far. The wait list mistake was excusable because everyone/institution makes mistakes, but the few encounters that I have had with their staff have been disappointing. I stopped by a table to talk to an ad-com at an MBA tour and she was short and rude with me. Also, every time I call them I get short responses and they rush me off the phone. The Georgetown name carries a lot of weight, but my guess is that the program is not ready yet. Maybe I'm wrong?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2007, 15:18
<Deleted>

Last edited by imjimmy on 09 Mar 2007, 20:51, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2007, 16:28
typicalgmatter wrote:
I applied to Gtown and have not been impressed thus far. The wait list mistake was excusable because everyone/institution makes mistakes, but the few encounters that I have had with their staff have been disappointing. I stopped by a table to talk to an ad-com at an MBA tour and she was short and rude with me. Also, every time I call them I get short responses and they rush me off the phone. The Georgetown name carries a lot of weight, but my guess is that the program is not ready yet. Maybe I'm wrong?

Yeah, I got the same vibe from GTown. Another thing that irked me was that I requested a viewbook THREE separate times, yet never received one. I also noticed two spelling errors in the online application which really isn't that big of a deal, but in combination with everything else just made me view GTown in a negative light.

Last edited by eazyb81 on 09 Mar 2007, 17:04, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2007, 16:44
eazyb81 wrote:
typicalgmatter wrote:

Yeah, I got the same vibe from GTown. Another think that irked me was that I requested a viewbook THREE separate times, yet never received one. I also noticed two spelling errors in the online application which really isn't that big of a deal, but in combination with everything else just made me view GTown in a negative light.

I had the same experience. The woman (later on I knew she is director of admission at GT) was very lazy at the MBA tour. When I asked her something, she was truly very rude and short, and even implied that I was not qualified to apply to GT, so forget it and apply to some state schools instead.
  [#permalink] 09 Mar 2007, 16:44