Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 14:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Poor GMAT score - 540 second time

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Poor GMAT score - 540 second time [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2010, 23:55
Hi,

Couple of days back I had my second attempt at GMAT and got very poor score of 540. Ironically this is the same score I received in my last attempt.

Quant - 40
Verbal - 23

I am an Indian IT male with more than 6 years of work experience in an MNC as a team lead. I have good academic record (76% in my graduation) and worked at customer site in USA for six months. But now I am confused whether to go for a third attempt or not. Can I improve my score by joining some prep course specially for verbal?

Please advice me.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Poor GMAT score - 540 second time [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2010, 00:51
Improvement in verbal scores are like step functions. Since you have spent considerable amount of time prepping for GMAT you should joining a verbal prep course might help – This may help improve your scores – which is really important for your profile perspective. All the best!

Apphelp : India's # 1 MBA admissions consultancy

Preparing for GMAT? Need help with Essay Review? Need mock interviews?
All these questions have a single answer : APPHELP (apphelp.co.in)
Phone: +91 9871354580
Blog: http://www.blog.apphelp.co.in
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/apphelpconsulting

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Poor GMAT score - 540 second time [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2013, 04:25
Your verbal seems quite low compared to your spoken English.

I improved 9 points on Verbal taking eGMAT course. It's done by a wonderful lady with an Indian accent so I think you'll enjoy it :)

I only took eGMAT SC for a week and improved 9points from V28->V37 82%

Also, I didn't take the live course, so I'm not sure whether that's worth the investment, but I'm pretty happy with my V.
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 496 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Poor GMAT score - 540 second time [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2013, 00:53
Expert's post
rbhardwaj2003 wrote:
Hi,

Couple of days back I had my second attempt at GMAT and got very poor score of 540. Ironically this is the same score I received in my last attempt.

Quant - 40
Verbal - 23

I am an Indian IT male with more than 6 years of work experience in an MNC as a team lead. I have good academic record (76% in my graduation) and worked at customer site in USA for six months. But now I am confused whether to go for a third attempt or not. Can I improve my score by joining some prep course specially for verbal?

Please advice me.

Definitely definitely do a prep course and definitely definitely retake, but only when you are SURE that you are at your best.

Good luck!

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 100 [0], given: 0

Re: Poor GMAT score - 540 second time [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2014, 08:31
Expert's post
Agreed - and make sure you look for verbal prep courses that are as focused on content as they are on strategies. At the end of the day, verbal is different than the quant section and you'll need a prep class that understands that. But definitely retake the test but, like Jon said, wait until you're ready. A lot rides on the 3rd attempt and you generally don't want to go into the 4+ attempt range.

Bhavik

Bhavik
Managing Partner

Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Blog | Free Resources | Facebook | Twitter

Was this post helpful to you? Give a Kudos and let me know!

Expert Post
Economist GMAT Tutor Representative
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

Premium Member
Re: Poor GMAT score - 540 second time [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2014, 10:49
Expert's post
Hi there,

A retake is good for students who are both far and close to their GMAT range but this will take dedication and further practice. If you have it in you to do so then go for it! If you have other aspects you need to take care of but are already at your range then I do not see it as all important. The other aspects of the application may carry quite a bit more weight. And finally, you can always ask the school itself whether it is worth doing. Sometimes they actually help in that regard.

I'm sorry you didn't get your ideal score. We hope you'll consider checking out the Economist GMAT Tutor adaptive online course. Our curriculum is customized to focus only on the areas that need improvement (in your case, Verbal), so NO two students will ever have the same experience. You can check us out complete free for 7 days before making a decision: http://gmat.economist.com.

Best of luck!

Elizabeth

Liz
http://econgm.at/KvjVSi
Economist GMAT Tutor
(866) 292-0660

Re: Poor GMAT score - 540 second time   [#permalink] 06 Jan 2014, 10:49