Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 07:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Popular B-schools - Pros & Cons

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
5 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Schools: Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 176 [5] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Popular B-schools - Pros & Cons [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2008, 20:42
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Funny blurb I found earlier today:

ctrl+c & ctrl+v from an article I read. The author dicusses the pros & cons of attending popular Bschools and compares the grads from these schools to the characters in the movie 'Office Space'.

My favorite character in the movie (no prizes for guessing): Lawrence

1.) Harvard - Pros: The best academic brand in the world, people from East Timor will know where you went to school. Graduates are extremely polished and dynamic leaders. its no coincidence that so many politicians these days are HBS grads.
Cons: Students are about as pompous and pretentious as possible. Polish is a fancy way of saying full of s**t. its no coincidence that so many politicians these days are HBS grads.
Office Space Character: Lumbergh (Peter’s hated boss). He’s a quintessential Harvard grad; in charge and full of platitudes that sound great but on further inspection don’t make any sense. He also drives a nice car and makes a lot of money while being universally loathed. Kind of sums up every HBS grad you’ve ever met, right?
2.) Stanford - Pros: Small class size and focus on do-gooders leads to an incredible array of backgrounds and accomplishments of students, who thrive in tight knit community. Haven for the really interesting superstars out there. Tremendous brand. Beautiful weather.
Cons: It may be interesting to be classmates with a Buddhist monk-fighter pilot, but its also hard to relate to anyone (”So, did that vow of peace make it hard to take out bogeys?”). For super accomplished business students with the world at their fingertips, it sure doesn’t seem like any of them actually like business.
Office Space Character: Peter (main character). He seems like the most level headed, likable and down to earth of any of the characters, but for all his talents, he ends up as a damn construction worker. He’s also a major league flake, showing up to work only when he feels like it. Can you say entitled?
3.) Wharton - Pros: Arguably the best technical business education in the world. Great brand name, and the job placements are second only to H/S.
Cons: Not sure if it’s the ultra rigorous curriculum, the competitive culture, or the fact that they have to live in Philly for two years, but Whartonites are paranoid bordering on psychotic. The odds of having a nervous breakdown in your life triple after going here. Double that if you actually ask anyone at Wharton to calculate those odds.
Office Space Character: Tom Smykowski (Co-worker that invents “jumping to conclusions mat”). I’m assuming that Tom was actually an excellent technical employee, but that his constant fear of losing his job made him batsh*t crazy. Most fitting quote “I’m a People Person!!!!!!” when yelling at the consultants.
4.) Northwestern - Pros: Strong team culture and arguably the best marketing program in the country. Incredibly collaborative for such a large school. Great location next to major financial center (Chicago).
Cons: Very soft curriculum, these guys are poets. I’m pretty sure that Kellogg finance classes are prerecorded cartoons taught by Disney characters. Is it really worth it to pay $10000+ to drink every night? I mean, couldn’t you just do that without the degree?
Office Space Character: Joanna (Peter’s girlfriend). Like Peter, she’s very likable, level headed and likes to get around. Unfortunately she’s also vastly less skilled than many of her fellow characters. Thank God she’s hot.
5.) Chicago - Pros: Finance education is second only to Wharton globally (and even that’s debatable). Probably the best facilities of all the top business schools. Fantastic job placements and close proximity to Chicago. Academic horsepower of profs is untouchable.
Cons: Socially awkward is an understatement. Unlike Whartonites who are just high strung, Chicago GSBers either never learned or quickly forgot how to communicate with peers. Make sure to wear a face mask if they’re talking to you ’cause spits going to fly.
Office Space Character: Milton (Co-worker that loves red swingline stapler). Milton seems like a nice enough guy, and he might be the smartest guy in the office (he pulls off the grand caper in the end). It’s just that he’s about as charismatic as a toilet bowl. Hire ‘em, just make sure to get GSBers an office in the basement.
6.) Columbia - Pros: Great location in the middle of global financial center (New York). Most diverse student body in terms of minorities and women. Very strong finance program. New York allows great social and job placement opportunities, and draws worldly, cosmopolitan students.
Cons: Cliquish and commuterish. Columbia is like a high school with super rich kids. High ***hole factor. This isn’t the kind of school where you’ll be going to house parties, its more like the kind of school where you’re expected to order bottle service for twenty guys on a student budget or else be ostracized.
Office Space Character: Bobs (consultants that lay off workers). They seem smart, they have great jobs, but c’mon, these guys are douchebags.
7.) MIT - Pros: World class entrepreneurship program, and probably the best supply management program in America. Attached to world class research center, and location in Boston is strong. Great job placement, especially in consulting.
Cons: For all their unique academic offerings, the overall school is like 90/10 men/women including undergrads. Takes the term sausage fest to a whole new level. Nerdy culture.
Office Space Character: Michael Bolton (Peter’s co-worker and friend). Michael Bolton desperately wants to be cool, listening to rap music, talking in slang, but lets face it, he’s a dork. He’s also hampered by his dorky namesake, which seems to attract a lot of nerdy people (to his obvious dismay).
8.) Tuck -Pros: Small class size and tight culture leads to maybe the most enthusiastic students in any school. Great respect from recruiters. Alumni network is arguably the most responsive and helpful of any top school. Strong rigorous program.
Cons: Very conformist culture, and really limited social options. These guys seem so enthusiastic about their school that I’m almost certain that all students are given ecstasy at orientation. Listen, if two years in the middle of Nowhere, New Hampshire were to constitute the best two years of my life, I would kill myself.
Office Space Character: Brian (Works with Joannas at Chotchkies, wears 37 pieces of flair). Brian is well meaning and LOVES his job. Never mind that he’s a waiter at a glorified TGIF, he still loves it with all his heart. They say ignorance is bliss, in which case, maybe Tuckies have the secret after all. That or, like Brian, they’re borderline retarded.
9.) Michigan - Pros: Maybe the most hands-on practical curriculum of all the top schools. New facilities coming up in 2009. Largest alumni network of any business school. State school, so the 2nd year is cheaper.
Cons: Location proximity leaves something to be desired (Detroit? Why not put it next to Beirut). The overall atmosphere here is very fratty and college like. Every single UMich student and alumni I’ve spoken to say the highlight of their experience was tailgating and watching football. EVERYONE. Not that football isn’t awesome, but no one else had any other experience that was noteworthy? They probably forgot the rest after beerbonging Jagermeister.
Office Space Character: Lawrence (Peter’s next door neighbor and friend). Lawrence is a good guy. He’s loyal, and salt of the earth. He also has a few rough edges, and would use 1 million dollars to be intimate with two other women. Have a great time with old Lawrence. Just don’t be surprised if all you end up with is a job he hooked you up with at the local quarry.
10.) Haas - Pros: Great location in the bay, and strong ties to Silicon Valley. Great weather. Small class size and tight culture. Berkeley has very strong international brand name.
Cons: Weak ties to financial sector, and east coast in general. The culture here is definitely about as PC as it gets. This seems like the type of school where you’d need to get a permission slip before you held a woman’s hand on campus.
Office Space Character: Stan (Joanna’s manager at Chotchkies). Stan wants Joanna to do more than the bare minimum. After all, people can get an MBA anywhere, but they come to Chotckies/Haas for the atmosphere! Don’t you want to do more than the bare minimum? Then put on your flair, burn some bras and save a whale you selfish jerk.
11.) Duke - Pros: Maybe the best health care management program in the country. Great brand name, especially in the south. Strong team culture.
Cons: Relatively young MBA program, so alumni network is small. As such, the brand cache just isn’t there yet. People that come here seem very cookie cutter to me, not in a bad way, just very comfortable and relatively unambitious.
Office Space Character: Samir (Peter’s co-worker and friend). Samir is a nice guy, very practical and unassuming. You get the feeling that he’s happy as long as he has a job in hand. Won’t make waves, won’t screw up, and won’t take any risks. But he’s a happy guy, and will have a house with 2.2 kids and a dog in a suburb somewhere (probably Durham).
12.) Darden - Pros: Strong Case method program and rigorous curriculum is universally respected. Alumni network is very strong and active with current students.
Cons: Middle of nowhere. Intellectual horsepower not as strong at a lot of the other top schools.
Office Space Character: Anne (Peter’s ex-girlfriend who was cheating on him). Anne just seemed really high maintenance and uptight. You try doing twenty cases a week for a year and see what happens to you. Just don’t be surprised if it’s a bigger bi**h than you imagined.
13.) NYU - Pros: Great location within spitting distance of Wall Street. Strong finance curriculum, and media program.
Cons: Location in downtown Manhattan make this the ultimate commuter school. Weird inferiority complex with Columbia. If you don’t go into finance or media, good luck.
Office Space Character: Other Lumbergh (ex-co-worker of Peter, Joanna’s ex-boyfriend). From all accounts, the other Lumbergh was a likable guy who was good at his job and got a great job offer to move on somewhere else. We just never actually saw him. Kind of like your NYU classmates.
14.) UCLA - Pros: LA! Sun, beach, beautiful glamorous people everywhere! Strong ties to Southern California business and great real estate program.
Cons: LA. UV rays, crowded beaches and shallow, materialistic people everywhere. You get the feeling that UCLA students are there just to spend two years in SoCal rather than to get jobs. As such, this place draws vapid, materialistic people. But damn they’re hot!
Office Space Character: Drew (Peter’s co-worker, describes the famous “O-face”). Drew’s a fun-loving guy that people like. He’s also the kind of guy that would tell anyone who was willing to listen graphic descriptions of all his sexual exploits. I liked Drew when I was 19. When I’m 26..?
15.) Cornell - Pros: Maybe the best Hospitality management program in the country. Ivy league brand name, and strong ties to some top consumer management companies. Small tight knit culture.
Cons: In the middle of nowhere, and it’s definitely a cut below a lot of the top tier programs. I mean, hospitality management? Seriously?
Office Space Character: Peggy (Lumbergh’s secretary). She’s kind of in hospitality: “Initech, can I put you on hold? Thank you! Initech, can I put you on hold? Thank you! Initech, can I put you on hold? Thank you! .”
16.) Yale - Pros: World class brand name. Arguably the best social enterprise program in the country. Relatively strong job placement for the rank.
Cons: Newer program means little real rep with employers or alumni to lean on.
Office Space character: Dr. Swanson (Peter’s psychologist/hypnotist). The Dr. has a very strong reputation, and he makes Peter go from depressed to happy (what a do-gooder!). But when it comes to the rankings, he just falls over dead.

Check out the new Career Forum
http://gmatclub.com/forum/133

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 252

Kudos [?]: 1530 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Popular B-schools - Pros & Cons [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2008, 20:49
I cringe every time I see this blog post - and it never seems to die - cause its just completely made up, and although I'd like to think that people realize that... im sure some don't.
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 176 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Popular B-schools - Pros & Cons [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2008, 21:03
rhyme wrote:
I cringe every time I see this blog post - and it never seems to die - cause its just completely made up, and although I'd like to think that people realize that... im sure some don't.

I certainly thought it was a bit over the top.

Director
Director
Schools: Chicago Booth 2010
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Popular B-schools - Pros & Cons [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2008, 22:04
rhyme wrote:

ive always thought it was good humor

anyway, i thought this post was going to be about real pros & cons, which would be interesting discussion
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 64

Kudos [?]: 333 [1] , given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: Popular B-schools - Pros & Cons [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2008, 09:31
This post received
KUDOS
I couldn't stop laughing reading this! Wonderful find terp (Kudos)!

It's over the top, but surprisingly "spot on" with many of the observations (at least the stereotypes of each school). We all know it's not completely true (I love the "need a permissions slip to hold a woman's hand" for Haas :P), but that's the stereotype out there. Awesome! Super funny! :lol:

GMAT Club Knowledge Vault:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/123
Haas Ambassador
http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t62555
Kryzak's Profile:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t56286
Member Essays:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t50969

1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 692 [1] , given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Popular B-schools - Pros & Cons [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2008, 10:51
This post received
KUDOS
This seems to get posted every few months on BW. Its pretty funny...I think the funniest thing about it is how offended some people are to read about their schools.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.
Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 333 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: Popular B-schools - Pros & Cons [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2008, 11:07
I can see how people can get offended, but it's all in good humor, as long as you keep that in mind. :wink:

Haas Ambassador
Kryzak's Profile:
Member Essays:

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [2] , given: 0

Re: Popular B-schools - Pros & Cons [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2008, 12:28
This post received
KUDOS
I'll start with Wharton...5 things I like most and 5 things I like the least. I am going there, so it's subjective.

Pros:
1) Part of the "Holy Trinity" (H/W/S)
2) Awesome facilities, integrated within the wider campus
3) Career placement and alumni network are unparalleled, including internationally
4) Probably the most well-rounded, strong curriculum of any b-school
5) No, your classmates won't all be 24 years old

Cons:
1) Generally a backup for HBS rejects
2) It's in Philly, not Boston
3) Very large, more impersonal than Stanford
4) You don't sit on your ass and drink as much as they do in Palo Alto or Evanston
5) Girls in your class are in their late 20s/early 30s
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Schools: Chicago Booth 2010
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 25 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Popular B-schools - Pros & Cons [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2008, 12:44
This post received
KUDOS
Chicago GSB

Pros:
1) Academic reputation, history
2) Down to earth students
3) One of the best facilities out there
4) Flexible curriculum, and individualistic nature
5) Career services seem very strong

Cons:
1) Size... although the FT class isn't that big, the GSB has 3300 students, which makes it the biggest of all top schools in graduate population. I'm afraid the school will become overextended with so many different programs.
2) School loyalty/endowment seems to lag behind other top schools
3) Weak network in West coast and Asia
4) Weather
5) Less brand cachet than H/S/W, and possibly K among laymen
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 176 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Popular B-schools - Pros & Cons [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2008, 16:32
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Well, here's a totally unbiased one, as I'm a Fall '09 applicant. It's the only school that I've gotten to know intimately so far.

UCLA Anderson

Pros:
1) If you want to be in Southern California, there is arguably no school with a stronger alumni network or placements. Most alumni tend to stay in SoCal after graduation, and therefore the depth of the network/ties that you can form with them are much stronger than an alumni network that is spread out all over the world.
2) Strong placements in Investment Banking, very possible and doable to break into California PE/VC
3) Very strong programs in Media/Entertainment and Entrepeneurship. Lots of VCs and an entrepeneurial infrastructure in SoCal to assist with the launch of new ventures.
4) Team-oriented culture. A lot of students come here to have fun - and they do.
5) Gorgeous facilities and gorgeous campus. Lots of other graduate programs and graduate student population to interact with. Located in arguably the best neighborhood in LA to be a 20-something. Tons of restaurants/nightlife within striking distance and Bel-Air/Beverly Hills down the road to motivate you to do well :)
6) "Private School Education at a Public School Price". Tuition & Fees (as of 10/15/07) run $32,000/year for California residents - a real bargain for the quality of this school.

Cons:
1) Very weak alumni network outside of California. If you want to work on the East Coast, you're better off going to an M7. If you want to work in Northern California, you're probably better off going to Haas.
2) There are a lot of students that come here just to have a 2-year vacation in LA. A lot of your classmates may not be very driven or concise in their career goals and direction.
3) The Admissions Office and process leaves a lot to be desired. They are unorganized.
4) The website does not do the school justice. It is one of the weakest websites out of any UE/E school.
5) It is a public school after all. The brand name is not as strong as H/S/W/C/K and you will have to work hard to get into a Big 3 consulting firm or Bulge Bracket bank. It won't be handed to you.
6) As the stereotype above mentioned, there are a lot of plastic people in LA. It's a very materialistic and vain culture compared to most of the United States. If you can either laugh at it or be a part of it - you'll be alright.

1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 692 [1] , given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Popular B-schools - Pros & Cons [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2008, 05:40
This post received
KUDOS
Kellogg...(remember all opinion/stereotypes)

Pros:
1) Student body: Extremely friendly and team oriented. I must say of all the schools I visited, Kellogg had the most enthusiastic and outgoing group of students.
2) Soft Skills: This is an area that is a common complaint many recruiters have with MBA grads of lots of schools...great quant/analytical abilities but fall short in people and teamwork skills. Kellogg may not make you into a stellar quant jock but at least you wont have a rep of being hyper competitive and lacking social skills.
3) Family Friendly: Relative to almost every other program, Kellogg has a very high percentage of students who are married or bring significant others with them to skill. Spouses are treated almost like students...they can audit any class (with prof OKing it), join all the clubs not just the significant other club, go on all trips including class trips (where they get to have all the fun but dont have to do any of the work).
4): Recruiting: Like all top schools tons of recruiters will show up. Kellogg students do tend to go to a much broader set of companies and positions than at most other top schools. Despite being known as a Marketing school, more students go into MC rolls and just as many go into Finance rolls. Students rave about the career service people but once again this is probably common at almost every top school.
5) Location: Evanston is a very nice place, and is a very short distance to downtown Chicago. It is definitely NOT a commuter school, almost all students live in a very small area, so you are going to see your classmates all the time just walking around and pretty much everywhere you go. Also almost everyone lives within walking distance of the school which is nice.
6) Long Term Stability: Has long been regarded as a top 5 school for a long time and never really has fallen that far in rankings. Kellogg does have the 3rd largest endowment only behind HBS and Stanford (actually has more than Wharton surprisingly)

Cons:
1) Soft Rep: Has a reputation of being academically easier than other schools. You can take turbo courses if you want but personally I would rather focus my time on classes I really want and these arent going to be turbo fin or something like that. (elhajoui's cons for Wharton illustrates folks having this view of K being soft)
2) Weather: Very few of the top 10 schools are located in nice sunny warm areas (Stanford and Haas) but Chicago is probably the toughest weather outside of Hanover NH.
3) International Rep: Has an OK name, not one the common person would know but there are grads around the world and its well known in business.
4) Facilities: Must be said if you visit the other school in Chicago and compare it to Kellogg there is no way you can like Kelloggs facilities. They werent the worst I saw but definitely arent that great. They are functional but not impressive like some schools. They are working towards building a new school but unless you are applying in several more years it wont be there for you...
5) Financial Aid: About the only complaint I have heard about the school and its faculty is about the financial aid folks. Its not anything that would turn me off with the school but be prepared to be slightly frustrated.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.
Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 333 [1] , given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: Popular B-schools - Pros & Cons [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2008, 12:59
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Since we're going with our PERSONAL views, here are mine with Haas (river already covered Kellogg very well):

Pros:
1. Specialized Strengths - Very impressive strengths in Hi-Tech, Entrepreneurship, VC, Health Care Management, Non-Profit, Net Impact/Sustainability/Corporate Social Responsibility. Relatively strong in marketing, general management, internationally business.
2. Student Body - Super friendly student body. Loads of energy.
3. "Quirky" - People tend to do less traditional MBA stuff (consluting/banking) here than many other schools.
4. Small Class Size - very personal, staff very responsive and knows you by name, you really bond with everyone
5. Alums - extremely responsive alums due to class size, very similar to Kellogg culture
6. Weather and location - located in one of the biggest metro areas in the country
7. International Brand Name - Mostly their "rebranding" to use UC Berkeley's name, which is very big in Asia and many parts of Europe.

Cons:
1. National Reach - East Coast reach is still growing. Better in finance (on the EC) due to NYC account managers working with major financial institutions, and good with consulting because they've been targeting a lot of the top consulting firms to come and recruit. But the reach is definitely not as strong as a H/S/W, and maybe slightly weaker than MIT/Kellogg/Chicago (them on the West Coast).
2. Alum Network Size - Smaller class size may lead to smaller alum network outside of the West Coast, Asia, and NYC. But the tightness of the alums makes up for part of it.
3. Public School - Haas is currently transitioning to a "private school" model, so it does not have as much endowment, programs (like KWEST or Random Walk), facility upgrades, etc... as other private schools (or "private" public schools like Darden and Ross). The law passed last year (2007) will help with Haas managing its own fundraising and building its endowment.
4. Traditional MBA Industries - Still needs to grow its strength in traditional MBA sectors to really be recognized as a top 5 school (i.e. Finance/Consulting). Right now seen (again, perceptions may vary) as a "specialized" top MBA for certain industries (e.g. Tech, Non-Profit, etc)
5. Brand Name - We'll see how well the rebranding with the "Berkeley MBA" works. Haas has been climbing the ranks rapidly in the last few years and have gained a lot of recognition for being a great B-school. But it's still not there yet with the "Top 5" schools. With new buildings and an expanded class size in the future (2012 time frame), it may do what Chicago GSB did 5-7 years ago and climb from the lower Top 10 spot solidly into the Top 5.

Haas Ambassador
Kryzak's Profile:
Member Essays:

Director
Director
Schools: Chicago Booth 2011
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Popular B-schools - Pros & Cons [#permalink] New post 09 May 2008, 09:50
I'd love to see more Pros/Cons for other schools such as Wharton, Chi GSB, Tuck, Columbia.
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Popular B-schools - Pros & Cons [#permalink] New post 09 May 2008, 10:11
I agree.

I thought this was a funny thread turned much more serious and informative. I hope some current students or disciples can lend paragraph or two on their school's strengths and weaknesses.

~Sam
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: MIT Sloan

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 0

Re: Popular B-schools - Pros & Cons [#permalink] New post 09 May 2008, 12:08
This post received
KUDOS
MIT Sloan

Pros:
1) Rigorous academic reputation, strong brand throughout the world. Everyone knows MIT as a place you need to have brains to go to - see Ironman and 21, and I know the counter argument but 95% of people out there will not be able to differentiate the business school from the engineering school. However, the b-school is no slouch in academics.
2) Down to earth students and I just don't see "nerdiness" stereotype. A great deal of collaboration between b-school students and vastly superior collaboration between b-school students and other graduate students. I would venture to say no other school comes close in those regards, and this fact makes the school a powerful entrepreneurial environment in technology and biotech.
3) Faculty, research success combined with real world success.
4) Flexible curriculum outside the 1st semester core with the ability to cross register for almost no additional cost at HBS and all other Harvard graduate schools.
5) Under marketed yet vastly superior health care/biotech option, see Biomedical Enterprise Program. One of the biggest venture capital and biotech clusters in the world.

Cons:
1) Facilities, but a new building will be complete during the summer 2010.
2) Alumni network smaller due to class size.
3) The perception that students lack soft skills, but you be the judge.
4) Weather
5) Not seen as a general management track school, but again I believe this is primarily a perception problem and not due to actual content taught. However, it is an unusually strong feeder school to the big consulting firms.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Darden:Tepper:UCUIC:Kenan Flager:Nanyang:NUS:ISB:UCI Merage:Emory
WE 1: 3

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 7

Re: Popular B-schools - Pros & Cons [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2009, 07:26
clarksdv2 wrote:
MIT Sloan

Pros:
1) Rigorous academic reputation, strong brand throughout the world. Everyone knows MIT as a place you need to have brains to go to - see Ironman and 21, and I know the counter argument but 95% of people out there will not be able to differentiate the business school from the engineering school. However, the b-school is no slouch in academics.
2) Down to earth students and I just don't see "nerdiness" stereotype. A great deal of collaboration between b-school students and vastly superior collaboration between b-school students and other graduate students. I would venture to say no other school comes close in those regards, and this fact makes the school a powerful entrepreneurial environment in technology and biotech.
4) Flexible curriculum outside the 1st semester core with the ability to cross register for almost no additional cost at HBS and all other Harvard graduate schools.
5) Under marketed yet vastly superior health care/biotech option, see Biomedical Enterprise Program. One of the biggest venture capital and biotech clusters in the world.

Cons:
4) Weather
5) Not seen as a general management track school, but again I believe this is primarily a perception problem and not due to actual content taught. However, it is an unusually strong feeder school to the big consulting firms.

Well I completed my professional education course at MIT and now im aiming to get into the MBA class of 2010. From what i have seen and the people i met ther's nothing like "nerdiness" attached to them. They are wonderful people who are ready to co-operate with you anytime.

the lecturers were amazing my fav: Lori Breslow[she took a class on gender-management].
yes, the climate may not be liked by everyone, since im from India I felt a bit cold and freezy....but the quality of education should not be forgotten.

Second cut is the deepest cut!!!:P

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
WE: General Management (Entertainment and Sports)

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 13

Re: Popular B-schools - Pros & Cons [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2010, 00:47
this thread is great, any other bschool gmatclub reps care to comment? particularly interested in ross, wharton, cornell etc
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 1

Re: Popular B-schools - Pros & Cons [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2010, 02:52
Unfortunately and although a very interesting blog, we do not put together the MBA rankings - what a shame!!!

http://rankings.ft.com/businessschoolra ... a-rankings

THE WORLD IS FLAT
Director
Director
WE 1: Investment Banking - 6yrs

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 92

GMAT Tests User
Re: Popular B-schools - Pros & Cons [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2010, 03:04
Would love to know about H/S/W, anyone? Thanks to the rest!
Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS, Sloan, Columbia, Stern, Tuck

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: Popular B-schools - Pros & Cons [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2010, 06:31
kylexy wrote:
clarksdv2 wrote:
MIT Sloan

Pros:

Cons:
4) Weather

Well I completed my professional education course at MIT and now im aiming to get into the MBA class of 2010. From what i have seen and the people i met ther's nothing like "nerdiness" attached to them. They are wonderful people who are ready to co-operate with you anytime.

the lecturers were amazing my fav: Lori Breslow[she took a class on gender-management].
yes, the climate may not be liked by everyone, since im from India I felt a bit cold and freezy....but the quality of education should not be forgotten.

business is about perception not reality. the nerdiness brand will follow you forever, even if it is mostly due to the overall institution

my gmat review:
gmat-review-770-q50-v44-86800.html

MBA charts:
http://mbacharts.appspot.com/

Re: Popular B-schools - Pros & Cons   [#permalink] 07 Feb 2010, 06:31