Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 19:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Popular child psychologists have advocated that parents

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Popular child psychologists have advocated that parents [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2011, 00:37
+1 for E, E maintains parallelism. the word 'Discipline' is not needed to maintain parallelism here.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, General Management
Schools: McCombs '14
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 17

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Popular child psychologists have advocated that parents [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2011, 02:44
Praetorian wrote:
Popular child psychologists have advocated that parents discipline male children similarly to the fashion in which they discipline daughters.

(A) similarly to the fashion in which they discipline
(B) in the same manner that they would use with
(C) like they would handle
(D) as they discipline
(E) as they would

between D and E
E - we can rephrase as
parents discipline X as they would Y
D - parents discipline X as they discipline Y - redundant.

Option E
Manager
Manager
WE 1: Information Technology(Retail)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 29

Re: Popular child psychologists have advocated that parents [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2011, 03:09
IMO-E,

(D) as they discipline- Its parallel only if would is applied to the system."As" makes the statement seem has if its at the same time.
(E) as they would- this is precise and clear and the 'discipline' need not be explicitly mentioned.

Hope thats correct!!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT Date: 01-31-2012
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 56

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Popular child psychologists have advocated that parents [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2012, 09:13
E

Advocate sounds To as a recomendation, therefor we should use WOULD

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Booth,NUS,St.Gallon
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 51

GMAT Tests User
Re: Popular child psychologists have advocated that parents [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2012, 05:20
i go with D too .As they would discipline

+1 if you like my explanation .Thanks :)

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Ross '17, Duke '16
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 36

Kudos [?]: 205 [0], given: 42

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Popular child psychologists have advocated that parents [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2012, 19:09
IMO E is the correct one. Choice D makes a repetition error.

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Accounting
GMAT Date: 04-06-2013
GPA: 3.65
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 99 [0], given: 46

Re: Popular child psychologists have advocated that parents [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2013, 03:16
Praetorian wrote:
Popular child psychologists have advocated that parents discipline male children similarly to the fashion in which they discipline daughters.

(D) as they discipline
(E) as they would

I am confused between D and E.Need help ..........
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 87

CAT Tests
Re: Popular child psychologists have advocated that parents [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2013, 21:06
I am also trying to decipher why D is wrong. My two cents:

Popular child psychologists have advocated that parents discipline male children as they discipline daughters.
This sentence assumes that every parent in this world disciplines both male and female children, and hence they should discipline male children as they discipline female children. But, what if a parent doesn't have daughters, is the parent not supposed to discipline male children or the parent has to learn how to discipline female children by adopting a female child. As you see, there is an assumption here.

Popular child psychologists have advocated that parents discipline male children as they would discipline daughters.
In the above sentence, the "would" provides the additional assumption required. If at all a parent disciplines both female and male children, then discipline both the female and male child in a similar fashion.

Popular child psychologists have advocated that parents discipline male children as they would discipline daughters.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 95

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Popular child psychologists have advocated that parents [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2013, 11:51
pqhai wrote:
2013gmat wrote:

(D) as they discipline
(E) as they would

Hi can you explain the above question ?

Hi mate.

Wrong. comparison "male children" vs "the fashion" (parents discipline X (male children) similarly to Y (the fashion) <== wrong)

Wrong. comparison grammar. "in the same X that ...." is wrong. The correct structure should be "in the same manner as ....."

Wrong. "Like" only + noun/noun phrase. [Like + clause] is always wrong.

(D) as they discipline
Wrong.
- If you pick D, you assume EVERY parents have both boy and girl. That's wrong meaning. The correct meaning is that Parents discipline boys as they would (unsure future) discipline girls (if they have).
- Good writing usually avoids repeating main verb (discipline) in one sentence. If the verb is the same, you should omit it, instead you should use auxiliary verb (do/did/will/would).

(E) as they would
Correct.
- (As + clause) is correct grammar.
- E conveys good meaning; in addition, E avoids repeating main verb (discipline). The structure of E is: parents discipline male children as they would (discipline) girls.

Hope it's clear.

Great Explanation. Kudos to you :-D :-D !!
Manager
Manager
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 247

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Popular child psychologists have advocated that parents [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2013, 04:24
IMO E
Initially i chose D found it parrallel...But according to it parents will be disciplining the male children as and when (same time) they discipline daughter.(meaning is getting changed)
But according to E parents discipline male children in the same way as they do it to their daughters.

Kudos please if you find my post useful..

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT Date: 04-30-2014
GPA: 3.24
WE: Analyst (Consulting)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 106

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Popular child psychologists have advocated that parents [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2014, 13:45
pqhai wrote:
2013gmat wrote:

(D) as they discipline
(E) as they would

(D) as they discipline
Wrong.
- If you pick D, you assume EVERY parents have both boy and girl. That's wrong meaning. The correct meaning is that Parents discipline boys as they would (unsure future) discipline girls (if they have).
- Good writing usually avoids repeating main verb (discipline) in one sentence. If the verb is the same, you should omit it, instead you should use auxiliary verb (do/did/will/would).

(E) as they would
Correct.
- (As + clause) is correct grammar.
- E conveys good meaning; in addition, E avoids repeating main verb (discipline). The structure of E is: parents discipline male children as they would (discipline) girls.

Hope it's clear.

Do you meant to say..Doctors advocate to eat Italian food as would french food...Is this clear? (It sounds awkward to me)
Its better to say Doctors advocate to eat Italian food as you eat French food (Even this is ambiguous..I would prefer a" in the same way " + "as")

Doctors advocate to eat Italian food in the same way as you eat French food

I believe the options and questions are crap...Just because you have to choose a better of the crap I would go with E because D has the ambiguous use of as = Because

Popular child psychologists have advocated that parents discipline male children as they discipline daughters.
It sort of gives a meaning that- As they discipline their daughter,Parents should discipline male children too

Appreciate the efforts...KUDOS for all

Re: Popular child psychologists have advocated that parents   [#permalink] 25 Mar 2014, 13:45