Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 04:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Position Change

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Position Change [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2006, 16:10
I had a position change. I was an engineer for 7 months with my current employer, and just 5 days back became a Manager. The MBA Applications ask for my Title. What should my Title be? I have 2 options
1. Manager XYZ Company, April 2006 - Presnt
2. Enter two separate rows:
a. Engineer XYZ Company, April 2006 - Dec 2006
b. Manager XYZ Company, Dec 2006 - Present

Which is preferable?
SVP
SVP
Schools: The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 178 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2006, 16:34
I think it depends what part of the application you're talking about. If they are asking for your current title, give them your current title. No lies there. If they ask for dates, give 'em dates. If they don't, no worries. They'll get more detail later, probably in your resume.

On your resume, you show your history, and you want two entries for sure.

In option one, you'd be lying. You haven't been a manager since April. You've been one for a short period. That's ok - they like to see you moving up. The forward motion is what shows your potential. (As an aside, adcons sometimes even recommend that applicants apply in a later round if they're expecting a very major promotion to come through.)

And BTW, here's what mine looks like (I'm on position 9 with my CU):

Company XYZ

Senior Gopher, September 2006 to present
* do menial tasks
* kiss up to my new boss

Junior Gopher, December 2005 to September 2006
* did very menial tasks
* kissed up to my old boss
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2006, 16:37
aaudetat wrote:
I think it depends what part of the application you're talking about. If they are asking for your current title, give them your current title. No lies there. If they ask for dates, give 'em dates. If they don't, no worries. They'll get more detail later, probably in your resume.

On your resume, you show your history, and you want two entries for sure.

In option one, you'd be lying. You haven't been a manager since April. You've been one for a short period. That's ok - they like to see you moving up. The forward motion is what shows your potential. (As an aside, adcons sometimes even recommend that applicants apply in a later round if they're expecting a very major promotion to come through.)

And BTW, here's what mine looks like (I'm on position 9 with my CU):

Company XYZ

Senior Gopher, September 2006 to present
* do menial tasks
* kiss up to my new boss

Junior Gopher, December 2005 to September 2006
* did very menial tasks
* kissed up to my old boss

Great, thanks. Follow up question. Just like any company, i was handling the Manager responsibilities for the last 4 months, although the designation change happend just 4 days back. How should i put that?
SVP
SVP
Schools: The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 178 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2006, 16:58
Ok, on the super-straight-and-narrow, you'd put the actual official dates as they appear in your records.

But would HR back you up with the earlier promotion date? Would your recos/supervisor? If they would, you could maybe put it on your resume. [Lord knows, where I work, I could just about say any dates, and they'd all go, "oh, really? ok." My boss just asked me when my next review was supposed to be. Err...August 2007. Hopefully by then I will be out of dodge.]

Or, and I did this on my resume, I put it down as one of my accomplishments in the previous position. This is probably the safer bet that gives you the kudos you deserve.

Company XYZ
Senior Gopher
* blahblahblah
* blahblahblah

Junior Gopher
* fulfilled the role of senior gopher for four months before being promoted

(Hopefully you can come up with a more meaningful way of getting this across.)
  [#permalink] 28 Dec 2006, 16:58