Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 02:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Possibility of getting in with no work solid experience?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: ICE UK. CREDAI
Schools: ISB, LBS, Booth, IMD
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Possibility of getting in with no work solid experience? [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2010, 11:02
Hello there,

I am a newbie and I wanted to find out what my chances of getting into a top MBA college with no work experience. Here is my vital statistics:

Qualification: Civil Engineering from a UK university, I got 68% so I missed hons

Nationality: Indian

GMAT: Giving it in a few days, but according to GMAT club calculator it should be around 730.

Work Experience: Lots (I think!), but nothing to show for or solid. I worked a lot with my professor, I did some programming for him and also worked part time a lot. All the summers I was free I did free-lance engineering work. Which accounts to almost 12 months.

Extra-curricular: several Leader-ship roles since school, working with under privileged kids in India. I worked on a lot of activities in school, but unfortunately didn't find the time at university.

Looking at LBS, ISB Hyderabad, Booth, Stern and IMD among others.

I was feeling very hopeful, until I came across the profiles of MBA applicants and I saw all the applicants getting 'Ding'. And I wonder if I am being realistic about my MBA prospects. I am going to apply for 2013 batch of students. I have already got a part-time job here, and I will be working in the Indian Army come January as a Civil Engineer till the start of the MBA.

If you do feel that I am not adequate yet for an MBA, in what ways can I strengthen my application. I will be filing for early decision, considering my situation.

Thank you for your time and feedback.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: ICE UK. CREDAI
Schools: ISB, LBS, Booth, IMD
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Possibility of getting in with no work solid experience? [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2010, 11:12
Also, you may ask me why I want a MBA. Firstly to improve myself as anyone would say. And Secondly because my father will leave me his company to run and retire soon. It is a medium-sized real estate company directly employing about 200 people and indirectly about 3000. I am wondering if I should mention these points in my applications.
Manager
Manager
Status: One Consultant. Unparalleled Experience. Unlimited Support. - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Stanford admit rate 2013: 100%
GMAT 1: 740 Q V
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 2

Re: Possibility of getting in with no work solid experience? [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2010, 21:08
My recommendations would be for you to wait and get work experience. There is nothing about your profile that would tell me you have a shot at getting in without work experience, especially considering your undergrad GPA.

Get a couple years at least of experience, try to manage people or at least clients or complex situations. Get involved in things outside of work, nonprofit, some extra curric, try to lead it. Think about what you are passionate about and go after that.

Let me know if you have any other questions

-Scott
scott@personalmbacoach.com
www.personalmbacoach.com
--Free application strategy discussion & initial essay review

Scott Edinburgh
Personal MBA Coach
scott@personalmbacoach.com
http://www.personalmbacoach.com
--Free consultation & application strategy discussion

Re: Possibility of getting in with no work solid experience?   [#permalink] 11 Sep 2010, 21:08