Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Nov 2014, 21:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Possibility of Harvard Out of Undergrad?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Possibility of Harvard Out of Undergrad? [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2008, 19:51
Hello Paul,
I'm currently a sophomore at the University of North Carolina and am thinking about pursuing a joint-JD/MBA. From what I heard about law school admissions, I should be a fairly strong candidate for HLS. However, it seems like b-school admissions is based much more on work experience than raw stats. Below is what I expect my stats to be when I graduate... I've read a bit about the 2+2 program but I don't think I have a good shot at that since many of my significant honors/recognitions won't be official until I graduate.

Business Administration / Economics Double Major, History Minor
Graduated with Highest Distinction (>3.8 GPA)
Honors or Highest Honors in Business Administration (requires a thesis paper and oral presentation)
Honors or Highest Honors in Economics (requires a thesis paper and oral presentation)
Carolina Public Service Scholar (300 hours community service + several academic modules)
Carolina Research Scholar
ACC Academic Honor Roll (non-revenue Olympic sport)
Carolina Leadership Academy Graduate (program for selected student-athletes)
Toastmaster's Competent Communicator
Bilingual: Spanish
Likely to be inducted into:
Beta Gamma Sigma Business Honorary
Phi Beta Kappa
+ several other honors societies

Obviously, my BIG weakness is a lack of work experience. I'm planning on doing an internship during Summer '09 but that still won't be very much. On the flip side, my biggest strength is my experience on a varsity sports team and the unique leadership experience that provides me...

Do you think I have much of a shot at Harvard straight from undergrad or would I need to hold off a few years?

Thanks for your time!
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 349 [0], given: 66

Re: Possibility of Harvard Out of Undergrad? [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2008, 08:36
Expert's post
panther2k,

You might have a shot straight from undergrad, but while your profile is clearly a strong one I don't see a lot of really unusual material (unusual in the sense of off the beaten track: internship on Capitol Hill, exchange program in Morocco, started a successful Internet business at age 17--that kind of thing). So in that sense your profile may not be 'distinctive' enough for Harvard. Harvard and other top schools look for more than excellence (which you have), but also that 'special' extra something that is sometimes visible through unusual experiences.

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern

Re: Possibility of Harvard Out of Undergrad? [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2008, 05:02
Thanks for the response.
Expert Post

Re: Possibility of Harvard Out of Undergrad? [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2008, 18:55
Expert's post
Intern
Intern

Re: Possibility of Harvard Out of Undergrad? [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2008, 15:42
Hey Paul,
If you have a chance could you comment on this? 103-t61937
Is MAC followed by an MBA a viable move or are the two degrees generally considered to be substitutes?
Expert Post

Re: Possibility of Harvard Out of Undergrad? [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2008, 13:46
Expert's post
panther2k,

No, the two programs are not considered substitutes and I think you would be better off getting work experience rather than an MAC if your ultimate goal is an MBA. I don't think the MAC would enhance your MBA application very much.

Good luck,

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog