Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 19:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Possibility of MIT Admit?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Possibility of MIT Admit? [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2006, 18:29
Hi Guys,

I have been mulling over my decision of grad school to apply to. I am 27 yo male with approximately 5 years of work experience. My undergrad was a double degree in Masters in Biomedical Engineering and Bachelors of electrical engineering. The industries I have worked in are varied to say the least, starting with petrochemical engineering at BP, then as a telecommunications engineer at Power One and finally ending up as Biomedical Engineer at Philips Medical. My plan was always to cater to the different aspects of my degrees for real world experience.
Recently i took the GMAT and scored 700 along with the bonus of being promoted to National Logistics Manager (sideways step again) in Philips Medical.

My dream would be to go to MIT SLoan (as most engineering candidates would) due to their focus in biomedical engineering (BEP even though it does not factor into their official MBA program) where my goal would be to emerge with a general management or consulting major.

Sounds schizophrenic? It works for me because I have always had a plan and I am not daunted by the essay app part. The rub is this - my undergrad GPA (converted as I am in Australia) is quite low around 2.0 according to my calculations because of a mispent collegiate life. However toward the end of my degrees, I began to ramp up my academic and professional profile after shifting to a new life paradigm. Nevertheless, the scar on my history is there and I would like to know whether it is a pie in the sky to apply for MIT or indeed for any schools within the top 10-20.
I dont want to waste time or resources on something that is completely unfeasible just because i dont have the motsa to 'reorganise' my dreams. Please be as harsh and truthful as possible in your responses. I respect honesty and being direct above all else.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Possibility of MIT Admit? [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2006, 19:52
sykofu wrote:
Hi Guys,

I have been mulling over my decision of grad school to apply to. I am 27 yo male with approximately 5 years of work experience. My undergrad was a double degree in Masters in Biomedical Engineering and Bachelors of electrical engineering. The industries I have worked in are varied to say the least, starting with petrochemical engineering at BP, then as a telecommunications engineer at Power One and finally ending up as Biomedical Engineer at Philips Medical. My plan was always to cater to the different aspects of my degrees for real world experience.
Recently i took the GMAT and scored 700 along with the bonus of being promoted to National Logistics Manager (sideways step again) in Philips Medical.

My dream would be to go to MIT SLoan (as most engineering candidates would) due to their focus in biomedical engineering (BEP even though it does not factor into their official MBA program) where my goal would be to emerge with a general management or consulting major.

Sounds schizophrenic? It works for me because I have always had a plan and I am not daunted by the essay app part. The rub is this - my undergrad GPA (converted as I am in Australia) is quite low around 2.0 according to my calculations because of a mispent collegiate life. However toward the end of my degrees, I began to ramp up my academic and professional profile after shifting to a new life paradigm. Nevertheless, the scar on my history is there and I would like to know whether it is a pie in the sky to apply for MIT or indeed for any schools within the top 10-20.
I dont want to waste time or resources on something that is completely unfeasible just because i dont have the motsa to 'reorganise' my dreams. Please be as harsh and truthful as possible in your responses. I respect honesty and being direct above all else.

well wll well.....it is difficult to say......in myopinion, your profile is definitely competitive for MIT with an exception of your undergrad gpa......well first of all, you should compare your grades with your fellow classfellows....what was the gpa of the topper in your class....were you in the top 30 percent.......anyway, you need to do something about your gpa.......i can tell you with full confidence (wharton admission committee told me this) that an extremely high gmat does not replace a poor gap......you should think about developing alternative transcipts ....take at least 6 classes related to finance, economics, accounting in a good reputable school or in a community college and take an A in all of them...admission committee would like to see your performance in a classroom....a high gmat score i.e.750 would not help much...
Re: Possibility of MIT Admit?   [#permalink] 12 Jul 2006, 19:52