Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 08:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Possible Ethical Question regarding application

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.54
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Possible Ethical Question regarding application [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2011, 08:44
Hey everyone,

This is my first post, and I just wanted to thank everyone who has made a contribution here. This has definitely been the go to resource for me as I prepare to apply to business school. I am applying to matriculate in Fall 2012 and I am hoping I can make a contribution to this community as I go through the process.

Anyway on to the question. I am 50% Hispanic (my dad is Puerto Rican). The other half is straight-up "white". I am not sure if I should mark myself as Hispanic on the application. While I did have exposure to my dad's side of the family and have gone to Puerto Rico for weddings I grew up in a white neighborhood and went to school there. I don't speak Spanish fluently either, although that can also be attributed to my dad's lack of involvement at times (parent's divorced at young age and mom was primary custodian).

Just looking for any advice from someone who may have a better idea? Would this even help me to get in?

A little background about myself: I went to Cornell Engineering and graduated with a 3.6 in Computer Science. Commissioned in the Army and will have served 4 years as a combat arms (infantry) officer. I have excellent garrison and combat leaderships evaluations, and great recommendations lined up. I am hoping to apply to HBS, Stanford, Wharton, and Tuck as my top choices (GMAT willing!).

As a note, I don't really look Hispanic either. I have red hair but instead of a pale complexion I get tan and have brown eyes.

Thanks for any help you guy's can contribute
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton Class of 2013
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Possible Ethical Question regarding application [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2011, 09:15
cdestela wrote:
Hey everyone,

This is my first post, and I just wanted to thank everyone who has made a contribution here. This has definitely been the go to resource for me as I prepare to apply to business school. I am applying to matriculate in Fall 2012 and I am hoping I can make a contribution to this community as I go through the process.

Anyway on to the question. I am 50% Hispanic (my dad is Puerto Rican). The other half is straight-up "white". I am not sure if I should mark myself as Hispanic on the application. While I did have exposure to my dad's side of the family and have gone to Puerto Rico for weddings I grew up in a white neighborhood and went to school there. I don't speak Spanish fluently either, although that can also be attributed to my dad's lack of involvement at times (parent's divorced at young age and mom was primary custodian).

Just looking for any advice from someone who may have a better idea? Would this even help me to get in?

A little background about myself: I went to Cornell Engineering and graduated with a 3.6 in Computer Science. Commissioned in the Army and will have served 4 years as a combat arms (infantry) officer. I have excellent garrison and combat leaderships evaluations, and great recommendations lined up. I am hoping to apply to HBS, Stanford, Wharton, and Tuck as my top choices (GMAT willing!).

As a note, I don't really look Hispanic either. I have red hair but instead of a pale complexion I get tan and have brown eyes.

Thanks for any help you guy's can contribute

There's no ethical dilemma here - you're Hispanic. It seems that culturally you don't associate closely with the Hispanic community and you don't "pass the eye test," but that does not make your blood any less Puerto Rican.

Putting Hispanic down on your application might not necessarily help you, since you're not culturally Hispanic and you don't speak Spanish, but it absolutely will not hurt your application.

For what it's worth, I am half-Peruvian, but you would never guess it looking at me, and I put Hispanic down on all my applications. However, I do speak Spanish and I do identify with my Peruvian heritage (although I grew up in a predominantly White neighborhood as well) so our situations aren't exactly alike.
VP
VP
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 193 [0], given: 31

GMAT Tests User
Re: Possible Ethical Question regarding application [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2011, 10:59
What is a Hispanic supposed to look like?

Posted from my mobile device Image
Manager
Manager
Schools: Cornell (Matriculated - Consortium Fellowship), Yale (Admitted), Georgetown (Admitted + $$), UCLA (Admitted + $$), NYU (WL)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Possible Ethical Question regarding application [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2011, 11:04
Of course you should put Hispanic. I am half Cuban and half white, speak Russian and not Spanish, and marked myself as Hispanic. Through my essays it was very clear that I am of mixed heritage and that I do not speak Spanish, but even if I never wrote about my background, I don't think it would matter. Half Puerto Rican is still Hispanic. I really wouldn't worry about it if I were you and apply as Hispanic.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 8

Re: Possible Ethical Question regarding application [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2011, 11:27
I met this nice blonde white girl during one of my preview weekends. I was surprised when she told me she applied through the Consortium. As it turns out, she is part Hispanic. She said nobody ever questioned her throughout the admissions process and it was totally fine.
Re: Possible Ethical Question regarding application   [#permalink] 06 Apr 2011, 11:27