Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 03:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Possible long-term consequences of the greenhouse effect,

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Possible long-term consequences of the greenhouse effect, [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2012, 18:55
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

60% (01:37) correct 40% (00:45) wrong based on 119 sessions
Possible long-term consequences of the “greenhouse effect,” the gradual warming of the Earth’s climate, may include melting the polar ice caps and a rising sea level.
A. may include melting the polar ice caps and a rising sea level
B. may include the melting of polar ice caps and the rising sea level
C. may include polar ice caps that are melting and sea levels that are rising
D. include melting the polar ice caps and sea levels that are rising
E. include melting of the polar ice caps and a rise in sea level

The correct answer is E, but does the "melting of the polar ice caps" without the article "the" is still parallel to the "a rise in sea level"?
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 64

Kudos [?]: 660 [0], given: 116

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Question about the using of articles ! [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2012, 21:47
Complex Gerund phrases (melting of ) are parallel to action nouns (a rise). True. A "the" would have made the sentence better framed but the best answer choice out of the five is E.

Did you find this post helpful?... Please let me know through the Kudos button.

Thanks To The Almighty - My GMAT Debrief

GMAT Reading Comprehension: 7 Most Common Passage Types

Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 11-02-2012
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 17

Re: Question about the using of articles ! [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2012, 06:38
MacFauz wrote:
Complex Gerund phrases (melting of ) are parallel to action nouns (a rise). True. A "the" would have made the sentence better framed but the best answer choice out of the five is E.

Can you explain why B is wrong? I feel "the melting of" is parallel to "the rising sea level".

Kindly explain your reasoning.
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 64

Kudos [?]: 660 [0], given: 116

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Question about the using of articles ! [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2012, 08:15
vivekdixit07 wrote:
MacFauz wrote:

Can you explain why B is wrong? I feel "the melting of" is parallel to "the rising sea level".

"the melting of" is a (complex) gerund phrase, whereas "the rising sea level" is a participle phrase and hence are not parallel. Even otherwise, looking at each phrase you can see that in "the melting of ice caps", the "the melting of" is the subject can be used as the subject of a sentence whereas in "the rising sea level", the "sea level" part is the actual subject.

eg: The waving flag IS green. and The waving flagS ARE green.
The waving of the flag IS fierce. and The waving of the flagS IS fierce.

My examples might not be 100% correct but I hope you get the meaning.

Did you find this post helpful?... Please let me know through the Kudos button.

Thanks To The Almighty - My GMAT Debrief

GMAT Reading Comprehension: 7 Most Common Passage Types

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Question about the using of articles ! [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2012, 09:45
MacFauz wrote:
vivekdixit07 wrote:
MacFauz wrote:

"the melting of" is a (complex) gerund phrase, whereas "the rising sea level" is a participle phrase and hence are not parallel. Even otherwise, looking at each phrase you can see that in "the melting of ice caps", the "the melting of" is the subject can be used as the subject of a sentence whereas in "the rising sea level", the "sea level" part is the actual subject.

eg: The waving flag IS green. and The waving flagS ARE green.
The waving of the flag IS fierce. and The waving of the flagS IS fierce.

My examples might not be 100% correct but I hope you get the meaning.

I also think "the melting of" is parallel to "the rising sea level". I think the problem for B is "may" repeats the meaning of "possible", so it deemed redundant
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V29
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 48

Re: Question about the using of articles ! [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2012, 11:12
i eliminated options A, B and C based on the fact that if we're using "Possible" in the sentence, then the use of "may" becomes sort of redundant, since if you're expressing a possibility, you're anyways not sure if that event WILL occur..

So, out of the remaining options D and E, E wins, since option D somewhat changes the meaning of the sentence.

Hope it helps.

Live Life the Way YOU Love It !! :)

GmatPrep1 [10/09/2012] : 650 (Q42;V38) - need to make lesser silly mistakes.
MGMAT 1 [11/09/2012] : 640 (Q44;V34) - need to improve quant pacing and overcome verbal fatigue.

Director
Director
Schools: Harvard, Columbia, Stern, Booth, LSB,
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 362 [0], given: 241

Re: Possible long-term consequences of the greenhouse effect, [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2013, 23:41
tingting85114 wrote:
Possible long-term consequences of the “greenhouse effect,” the gradual warming of the Earth’s climate, may include melting the polar ice caps and a rising sea level.
A. may include melting the polar ice caps and a rising sea level
B. may include the melting of polar ice caps and the rising sea level
C. may include polar ice caps that are melting and sea levels that are rising
D. include melting the polar ice caps and sea levels that are rising
E. include melting of the polar ice caps and a rise in sea level

The correct answer is E, but does the "melting of the polar ice caps" without the article "the" is still parallel to the "a rise in sea level"?

In this sentence, two close options are B & E. In option B, although both the parallel items are Complex gerund phrase but use of “The rising sea level” changes the intended meaning of the sentence. Option B means that Consequences include Melting & Sea level but this is not the intended meaning. Author wants to mean that Consequences include Melting & Rise, actions correctly used only in option E.

If you like my Question/Explanation or the contribution, Kindly appreciate by pressing KUDOS.
Kudos always maximizes GMATCLUB worth
-Game Theory

If you have any question regarding my post, kindly pm me or else I won't be able to reply

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: Q V

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 72

Re: Possible long-term consequences of the greenhouse effect, [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2013, 18:05
Can someone kindly explain why C is not correct? I was looking for 1. meaning and 2. parallelism. Thank you!

Kudos if my post was helpful! :)

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Other
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 11

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Question about the using of articles ! [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2013, 21:13
MacFauz wrote:

Hi MacFauz ,

I am understand ( melting of is a verb ing noun ) but how is rise a noun ? Confused why E is the best choice .

Thanks and Regards ,
shelrod007
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Possible long-term consequences of the greenhouse effect, [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2013, 00:12
Looks like an act or instance of rising is a noun. So, "rise" is a noun here.
Re: Possible long-term consequences of the greenhouse effect,   [#permalink] 11 Oct 2013, 00:12