Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 12 Jul 2014, 20:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Possible to get in top 10 business schools without workexp?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Possible to get in top 10 business schools without workexp? [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2011, 05:20
Hi guys sam here
i am 21 year old and about to complete my graduation
i am preparing for GMAT.but one question always asked that "Work Experience?".
is there no possibility to get in top b schools without work experience if we having good score in GMAT?
i am microsoft certified professional developer and having my own software developing company(doing freelancing). this certificate and company will help me to get in good business schools
without Work Experience? please tell me ....

Thanks
Sam
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 191 [0], given: 13

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Possible to get in top 10 business schools without workexp? [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2011, 05:47
top 10 b schools seek leaders. One way to judge this is from one's work experience. If you can prove to them that you have leadership qualities, you should be good but the chances are much lower. Maybe you can take a look at HBS 2+2 program since you are just about to finish college, you can apply to schools that seek young leaders.

Powerscore CR Bible Full Chapter Notes | Easily Extend Vocabulary List with Google Dictionary

Please kudo me if you found my post useful. Thanks!!! :)

Intern
Intern

Re: Possible to get in top 10 business schools without workexp? [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2011, 05:59
Mahtab wrote:
top 10 b schools seek leaders. One way to judge this is from one's work experience. If you can prove to them that you have leadership qualities, you should be good but the chances are much lower. Maybe you can take a look at HBS 2+2 program since you are just about to finish college, you can apply to schools that seek young leaders.

Thanks for the reply Mahtab
can u tell me more about this HBS 2+2 Program?Do they accepts freshers?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.5
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 26

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Possible to get in top 10 business schools without workexp? [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2011, 07:25
ecashzone wrote:
Hi guys sam here
i am 21 year old and about to complete my graduation
i am preparing for GMAT.but one question always asked that "Work Experience?".
is there no possibility to get in top b schools without work experience if we having good score in GMAT?
i am microsoft certified professional developer and having my own software developing company(doing freelancing). this certificate and comapny will help me to get in good business schools
without Work Experience? please tell me ....

Thanks
Sam

I am too am in exactly the same bandwagon as you. I too am a freelancer, but of a different kind.

The thing is getting into a bschool is firstly challenging, without work experience. But even if you get in, it doesn't end there. You will lag behind in classroom because in a typical MBA class you would learn as much from the students around you as from the faculty.
And you work so hard to get into a top bschool but are not able to derive maximum value from it - this would leave you nowhere.
In the end whats the whole point of studying for the GMAT, struggling with the essays and getting into the top school - to learn something that would help in your life. Having just the name of say Stanford or Harvard on your CV won't help you sustain.
And without work experience you will not have a pragmatic thought faculty for what is being taught in class.

So reconsider the fresher MBA idea. In the end choice is yours!

GMAT done - a mediocre score but I still have a lot of grit in me

The last 20 days of my GMAT journey

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 191 [0], given: 13

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Possible to get in top 10 business schools without workexp? [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2011, 10:44
ecashzone wrote:
Mahtab wrote:

Thanks for the reply Mahtab
can u tell me more about this HBS 2+2 Program?Do they accepts freshers?

Harvard Business School 2+2 program is for juniors/seniors (3rd year and 4th year) university students with a) strong academic profile b) strong demonstration of leadership qualities 3) Diversified.

From my research, those three criteria impact the most in one's candidacy. If you think you've got all three above, then you should apply.

I'm going to directly quote one of the admission consultants: "HBS is looking for science and artsy kids who otherwise, without HBS's wonderful 2+2” program, never would have thought about business, and would have gone to (gasp) law school. So, be a techie who was happy being a nerd until, poof, 2+2” came along, and then you discovered you could be a business nerd. Think transformation."

Basically they are seeking young talent and trying to catch youth before they think about going into law / med school.

For more info, just google hbs 2+2 and also visit this link, it has some useful info:

calling-all-hbs-2011-applicants-including-96063.html

Powerscore CR Bible Full Chapter Notes | Easily Extend Vocabulary List with Google Dictionary

Intern
Intern

Re: Possible to get in top 10 business schools without workexp? [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2011, 20:25
thanks akhilesh and Mahtab.....
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 191 [1] , given: 13

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Possible to get in top 10 business schools without workexp? [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2011, 20:47
This post received
KUDOS
No problem! Any time!

Re: Possible to get in top 10 business schools without workexp?   [#permalink] 19 Jul 2011, 20:47