Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 10:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Possible to get into an M7 from a state school?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Possible to get into an M7 from a state school? [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2010, 19:58
**I accidentally posted this in the wrong forum the first time, so sorry for the repost**

Is it possible to get into an M7 school, or even schools just outside that like Tuck, Stern, etc. if you go to a state school and don't work in investment banking/consulting or have an incredibly unique background (i.e. army, peace corps, olympic medalist, etc.)? I keep hearing that all those schools basically choose people solely off of work experience, and that even working in corp finance is considered average, so how the hell do you get into a good school without curing cancer?

I have decent grades (should graduate with a 3.5+), I'm going to do everything in my power to destroy the GMAT (730+ is my goal), but banking/consulting just isn't going to happen. My school's network for that is garbage and there's basically no hope. The most I can do is corporate/commercial banking at a Bulge Bracket, but it feels like anything outside of I-banking, Consulting, and blackstone private equity won't get you into HSW, so I'm wondering what the hell I can do?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
MBA Admissions Consulting
Schools: University of Chicago, Columbia, Wharton, Stanford, Harvard, Cornell, NYU, Duke, Indiana
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 0

Re: Possible to get into an M7 from a state school? [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2010, 05:43
marakon8 wrote:
**I accidentally posted this in the wrong forum the first time, so sorry for the repost**

Is it possible to get into an M7 school, or even schools just outside that like Tuck, Stern, etc. if you go to a state school and don't work in investment banking/consulting or have an incredibly unique background (i.e. army, peace corps, olympic medalist, etc.)? I keep hearing that all those schools basically choose people solely off of work experience, and that even working in corp finance is considered average, so how the hell do you get into a good school without curing cancer?

I have decent grades (should graduate with a 3.5+), I'm going to do everything in my power to destroy the GMAT (730+ is my goal), but banking/consulting just isn't going to happen. My school's network for that is garbage and there's basically no hope. The most I can do is corporate/commercial banking at a Bulge Bracket, but it feels like anything outside of I-banking, Consulting, and blackstone private equity won't get you into HSW, so I'm wondering what the hell I can do?

Hi Marakon8,
As I have frequently mentioned in this forum, both my business school admissions clients and MBA classmates came from many diverse backgrounds. I personally did not work for I-banking, consulting or private equity, and was admitted to all my top schools in the first rounds. Schools don't admit people just on the basis of where they worked, but from what they learned from their experiences as well as how well they present their stories to the AdCom. In fact, the flip side is that candidates from the regular feeder channels of I-banking and consulting have to work harder to distinguish themselves since there are many applicants with a similar profile.

If you are looking for advice on your next steps, take up a position that you were well-suited for, and in which you will learn and grow. Leadership, initiative, teamwork and communication are important attributes to any application, and from what we see daily in our clients, these can developed in many, many different settings.

Email us at mbaconsult@mymbaadmit.com to find out more about how we help our clients define their profile and differentiate themselves from the competition. Check out our Affordable Packages and Volume Discounts!

My MBA Admit
Khyati Soparkar, Lead Consultant
MBA Admissions Consultants
New York, NY

Contact us for a Free Initial Consultation

Just starting the MBA application process? Our Candidate Profiling and School Selection report is currently offered for $100 only! This 10-page report conducts a multidimensional profile evaluation, and provides you with a comprehensive list of business schools that match. Click to Find Out More!

MBAConsult@MyMBAAdmit.com

Read the My MBA Admit Blog

Follow My MBA Admit on Twitter and Facebook!

Re: Possible to get into an M7 from a state school?   [#permalink] 17 Mar 2010, 05:43