Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 23:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Possible to have more >8 mins of break between Quant & Verb?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 9

GMAT ToolKit User
Possible to have more >8 mins of break between Quant & Verb? [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2013, 00:28
Let's say i finish Quant with about 4 minutes left, which will probably happen.

Can I raise my hand to leave, but leave the clock running in quant. So i'm assuming, when I leave the testing room, my four minutes will expire and the 8 break minutes will start.
This assumes that my last answer choice will be automatically submitted in the Quant section. If it does not automatically submit then i can't take my break.

Then after the 8 minutes of regular break are over, the new section will automatically start. Hopefully by that time, I will be back in the testing room!

I think the longer my break, the better i will do in verbal.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 29

Re: Possible to have more >8 mins of break between Quant & Verb? [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2013, 01:21
I do not think the test works that way. It will only calculate the answer choices you've already selected.

The best thing you can do after finding solution to the last question is to sit and relax until time runs out and then go on a break.
Director
Director
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 273 [0], given: 543

Re: Possible to have more >8 mins of break between Quant & Verb? [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2013, 01:30
You have to note the new section doesn't start automatically... The Proctor has to set the password and sometimes He / she might mistype the password so that wastes some time. So heads up for that...

Take the additional break and wait till the clock runs down...

Click +1 Kudos if my post helped...

Amazing Free video explanation for all Quant questions from OG 13 and much more http://www.gmatquantum.com/og13th/

GMAT Prep software What if scenarios gmat-prep-software-analysis-and-what-if-scenarios-146146.html

Manager
Manager

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Possible to have more >8 mins of break between Quant & Verb? [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2013, 02:09
lol ok, im glad i didn't try this haha
NUS Thread Master
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 2.82
WE: Sales (Manufacturing)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 13

Re: Possible to have more >8 mins of break between Quant & Verb? [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2013, 02:22
I had selected the answer for my last question on IR as the time was about to run out, and the time ran out while I was reading the question. I too wanted to know if the test will consider the question as answered or not. ???

Ganesh Tukaram Jagtap

have a nice day
my gmat debrief :)
pm me in case of any queries

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 273 [1] , given: 543

Re: Possible to have more >8 mins of break between Quant & Verb? [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2013, 02:32
This post received
KUDOS
ganeshjagtap wrote:
I had selected the answer for my last question on IR as the time was about to run out, and the time ran out while I was reading the question. I too wanted to know if the test will consider the question as answered or not. ???

it will accept as long as you clicked any option and its the last question.. it automatically selects that answer choice before moving to next section.

Amazing Free video explanation for all Quant questions from OG 13 and much more http://www.gmatquantum.com/og13th/

GMAT Prep software What if scenarios gmat-prep-software-analysis-and-what-if-scenarios-146146.html

Manager
Manager

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Possible to have more >8 mins of break between Quant & Verb? [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2013, 10:01
fozzzy wrote:
ganeshjagtap wrote:

it will accept as long as you clicked any option and its the last question.. it automatically selects that answer choice before moving to next section.

wait so does that mean my plan will work.

say i'm on the last question and i've solved it, so i leave it selected and go take my break.

when my four minutes runs out, the program should automatically submit my choice and immediately start my 8 minute break,

therefore i now have 12 minutes total.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 29

Re: Possible to have more >8 mins of break between Quant & Verb? [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2013, 10:12
fozzzy wrote:
ganeshjagtap wrote:

Are you sure about this? I have not tested this but I really think you are wrong. You should not be allowed to leave the room while the test is still running...
NUS Thread Master
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 2.82
WE: Sales (Manufacturing)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 13

Re: Possible to have more >8 mins of break between Quant & Verb? [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2013, 11:05
laserglare wrote:
fozzzy wrote:
ganeshjagtap wrote:

say i'm on the last question and i've solved it, so i leave it selected and go take my break.

when my four minutes runs out, the program should automatically submit my choice and immediately start my 8 minute break,

On the GMAT, after completion of a section there's a pop-up asking you if you want to take the 8 minute optional break and the timer only starts when you click yes. I think if you do not hit either yes or no for some time, the test takes it as a no and starts with the next section automatically. So it is probably not such a good idea to do this.

Ganesh Tukaram Jagtap

have a nice day
my gmat debrief :)
pm me in case of any queries

Director
Director

Re: Possible to have more >8 mins of break between Quant & Verb? [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2013, 21:06
Baracuda123 wrote:
fozzzy wrote:
ganeshjagtap wrote:

Are you sure about this? I have not tested this but I really think you are wrong. You should not be allowed to leave the room while the test is still running...

I never said you could leave the room read my earlier post. I said you can't do that. He asked if he selected a random answer choice and didn't click the next button would that answer choice be considered valid. I was answering that particular question.

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1116

Kudos [?]: 5062 [0], given: 164

Re: Possible to have more >8 mins of break between Quant & Verb? [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2013, 21:43
Expert's post
laserglare wrote:
fozzzy wrote:
ganeshjagtap wrote:

You CAN take a longer break but NOT outside the examination hall. You will not be allowed to go with your test running. If you are left with time on your Quant section, attempt the last question, do not submit it and then sit - try to calm yourself, try to relax, close your eyes, breathe deeply - whatever helps you. When the time is about to be up, submit your answer, start your official break and then go out.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Director
Director

Re: Possible to have more >8 mins of break between Quant & Verb? [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2013, 00:50
Here is a great video to watch. What to expect on exam day...

http://www.mba.com/the-gmat/test-day.aspx

Re: Possible to have more >8 mins of break between Quant & Verb?   [#permalink] 24 Jul 2013, 00:50