Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 12:30 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 12:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Poor Qualityx      
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [64]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.51
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 229 [36]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
WE:Corporate Finance (Other)
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64880 [33]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [3]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.51
Send PM
Re: In how many ways can 3 letters out of five distinct 5 distinct letters [#permalink]
Kudos
Thanks for the reply Sudish. I'm a little confused though as to why you've treated this as a combination rather than as a permutation?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [14]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Re: In how many ways can 3 letters out of five distinct 5 distinct letters [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Total number of ways of arranging 3 things out of 5 is 5*4*3 = 60. (5p3)
Lets take the cases in which A and B are always selected. So total ways will be (1*1*3) (one for a, one for b and select any one out of C,D, and E). But these things can also be arranged in 3*3! ways = 18. 3! ways to arrange A,B and any 1 other alphabet multiplied by 3 to select either D,E or F.

Total = 60-18=42.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1372 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: International Business, General Management
GPA: 3.86
WE:Accounting (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
Its 42

5P3-3!*3=42
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [5]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
Hi,

Thanks for the explanations. I still did not get why the answer is 42 and not 48.

I agree with total no. of permutations = 5*4 * 3 = 60

Considering the cases when A & B are in the final three, we have the following 18 combinations

AB* ABC ABD ABE
BA* BAC BAD BAE
*AB CAB DAB EAB
*BA CBA DBA EBA

A*B ACB ADB AEB
B*A BCA BDA BEA

This is also obtained by (1*1*3)*3! = 18 ways

But the question says only that A & B should not be together in a straight line. So the last 6 - A*B and B*A should be also ok with the results.
If that is true, then it should be only 12 ways that are not allowed( and not 18).
This can also be arrived at by considering in the following way:
A and B can be arranged within in 2 ways
(AB) can be arranged with 3 other letters DEF in 3 ways
And position of AB and D/E/F can be interchanged in 2 ways.

Hence, 2*3*2 = 12 ways.

Final answer should be 60-12 = 48, based on the question. If it said that A&B together should not be in the final three at all( or A& B cannot be together in a circle positioning), then it is 60 - 18 = 42

Please let me know if I am making any mistake or assumption here.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
shrikantv wrote:
Hi,

Thanks for the explanations. I still did not get why the answer is 42 and not 48.

I agree with total no. of permutations = 5*4 * 3 = 60

Considering the cases when A & B are in the final three, we have the following 18 combinations

AB* ABC ABD ABE
BA* BAC BAD BAE
*AB CAB DAB EAB
*BA CBA DBA EBA

A*B ACB ADB AEB
B*A BCA BDA BEA

This is also obtained by (1*1*3)*3! = 18 ways

But the question says only that A & B should not be together in a straight line. So the last 6 - A*B and B*A should be also ok with the results.
If that is true, then it should be only 12 ways that are not allowed( and not 18).
This can also be arrived at by considering in the following way:
A and B can be arranged within in 2 ways
(AB) can be arranged with 3 other letters DEF in 3 ways
And position of AB and D/E/F can be interchanged in 2 ways.

Hence, 2*3*2 = 12 ways.

Final answer should be 60-12 = 48, based on the question. If it said that A&B together should not be in the final three at all( or A& B cannot be together in a circle positioning), then it is 60 - 18 = 42

Please let me know if I am making any mistake or assumption here.

I think the question means that A and B are never selected together in a selection. So it should be 18 ways. You'll have to consider A*B and B*A cases also.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 349 [5]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Schools: Sloan '16 (D)
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.76
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
I also got 42.

But...That's a poorly worded question. Nothing worded like this will ever show up on a real GMAT or any of the books published in the US.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [13]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
This is my take on this:

Number of ways of getting a 3 letter code out of 5 distinct letters A,B,C,D and E such that A and B never come together :

Three mutually exclusive cases are possible:

Case a: The 3 letter code will contain A but not B
Case b: The 3 letter code will contain B but not A
Case c: The 3 letter code will contain both A and B but not togather

First letter A, secong any letter other than A or B, third any letter other than A or B and the already chosen letter
1x3x2 = 6
But A could be 1st or 2nd or 3rd. Therefore we have 3 ways of getting this. Therefore 6x3= 18

Case b: The 3 letter code will contain A but not B
same as case a. Therfore 18

First Letter A , 2nd any letter other than A or B, Third Letter B
1x3x1 = 3
But The first letter can be either A or B. Therefore we have 2 cases 3x2=6

Total no of ways = 18 + 18+ 6= 42 :-D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
anandxrfeu wrote:
This is my take on this:

Number of ways of getting a 3 letter code out of 5 distinct letters A,B,C,D and E such that A and B never come together :

Three mutually exclusive cases are possible:

Case b: The 3 letter code will contain B but not A

First letter A, secong any letter other than A or B, third any letter other than A or B and the already chosen letter
1x3x2 = 6
But A could be 1st or 2nd or 3rd. Therefore we have 3 ways of getting this. Therefore 6x3= 18

Case b: The 3 letter code will contain A but not B
same as case a. Therfore 18

First Letter A , 2nd any letter other than A or B, Third Letter B
1x3x1 = 3
But The first letter can be either A or B. Therefore we have 2 cases 3x2=6

Total no of ways = 18 + 18+ 6= 42 :-D

There is one more case, depending on how you read it :-)
Case [d]. The three letter code will not contain A or B.

that is: C, D, E.
Number of permutations = 3! = 6.

But agree with others, the question is not clear enough.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 142 [1]
Given Kudos: 71
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT 3: 710 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.16
WE:Consulting (Venture Capital)
Send PM
Kudos
I got 48 as well.

How many distinct letter combos:
5C3 = 10

Each Combo can be arranged in 3! ways
3! = 6

Combos that Include both A & B:
3C1 = 3
In these combos there are not 6 arrangements that work, but only 2 (AxB and BxA)
2*3=6

Combos that don't include both A & B = 7
In these combos every sequence fits criteria:
6*7 = 42

42+6=48
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 142 [1]
Given Kudos: 71
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT 3: 710 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.16
WE:Consulting (Venture Capital)
Send PM
Kudos
Hello - Per a PM I received:

for the question :

Ques : In how many ways can 3 letters out of 5 distinct letters A, B, C, D and E be arranged in a straight line so that A and B never come together?

Your Reply : I got 48 as well.

How many distinct letter combos:
5C3 = 10

Each Combo can be arranged in 3! ways
3! = 6

Combos that Include both A & B:
3C1 = 3
In these combos there are not 6 arrangements that work, but only 2 (AxB and BxA)
2*3=6

Combos that don't include both A & B = 7
In these combos every sequence fits criteria:
6*7 = 42

42+6=48

Can you please explain me the part in red

Thanks in Advance!!.. :)

So, working backward from the above, the 42 represents all of the permutations of 3 letters groups from the 5 letters that don't include both A and B (ACD, ADC, BCE, ECB, etc etc).

The only thing left now is to include the 3 letter combos that do include both A and B, but of course don't violate the rule that they cannot be next to each other.

So, per the red, the first thing to do is to see how many combos there are that have both A and B in them...as we already used up 2 of the 3 available slots, we are only looks for 1 more letter. 3C1 = how many ways can we choose 1 letter from the 3 available letters (A & B & ? --> ? = C D or E --> 3 ways or combos).

Next, how many ways can we arrange these groups with both A & B. Per the above red, I now see the "(AxB and BxA)" is a bit confusing (needed a minute to decipher it myself lol). The "x" is just a place holder that can signify C D or E...probably better to use "?" With the original 42 permutations, each combo had 3! arrangements, however with the given constraint that A & B cannot touch, we cannot use 3! to figure out arrangements in the both A & B combos. The only way for A & B not to touch is for them to be on opposite ends. ACB, BCA, ADB, BDA, AEB, BEA = 6. Each combo has 2 arrangements (A?B and B?A, where ? = C D or E)

42 + 6 = 48

Hope this helps.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [1]
Given Kudos: 293
Send PM
"arrange 3 letters out of 5 such that A and B are there and together in 3*2!*2 = 12 ways

Hi Karishma ,

Will you please explain how you got 3 * 2! *2 ?

Thanks in advance
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64880 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
sayan640 wrote:
"arrange 3 letters out of 5 such that A and B are there and together in 3*2!*2 = 12 ways

Hi Karishma ,

Thanks in advance

You have already selected A and B. Now select one other letter out of the remaining three in 3C1 = 3 ways.
So you have A, B and one more letter. A and B should be together forming a group. So you need to arrange AB and the third letter. This can be done in 2! ways.
But Ab can also be arranged in 2 ways: AB and BA.

Hence, total arrangements = 3 * 2! * 2
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
WE:Analyst (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
sayan640 wrote:

Hi Karishma ,

Thanks in advance

You have already selected A and B. Now select one other letter out of the remaining three in 3C1 = 3 ways.
So you have A, B and one more letter. A and B should be together forming a group. So you need to arrange AB and the third letter. This can be done in 2! ways.
But Ab can also be arranged in 2 ways: AB and BA.

Hence, total arrangements = 3 * 2! * 2

Hello Karishma ,

I have seen answer to this problem somewhere as (5C3-3C1) * 3!

could you please help explain 3C1 part?

Thanks in advance.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
WE:Account Management (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
VeritasPrepKarishma : I understand the logic of 5*4*3 with the total permutation = 60 - 12 = 48. However, if i were to go to the logic directly, there are 5 no's. I was placing the numbers directly, So 5(all 5 characters) *3 (3 being without b) *3 (the remaining characters) = 45.

Am i missing something?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64880 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Vishvesh88 wrote:
VeritasPrepKarishma : I understand the logic of 5*4*3 with the total permutation = 60 - 12 = 48. However, if i were to go to the logic directly, there are 5 no's. I was placing the numbers directly, So 5(all 5 characters) *3 (3 being without b) *3 (the remaining characters) = 45.

Am i missing something?

When you say the first position can be taken by any 5 characters, the first position can be taken by A/B/C/D/E. Say the first position is taken by E

E ____ ____

Now you are ignoring B in the second position. That is not correct. You can have E B ___ provided you don't have A in the last position. So something like E B C is possible though you are not counting it.

Remember that whenever you have "A and B should not be together", putting them together and subtracting out from the total will be far easier to do.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64880 [2]
Send PM