Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 08:35 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1207 [354]
Given Kudos: 114
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GMAT 1: 630 Q40 V36
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1207 [6]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Re: 10 Tips to Improve Your Score & App With NO Extra Studying [#permalink]
Kudos
I could not agree more with #2. I went to test day with my 2.5 week old "study beard", and later while reading the fine print of my official score report, found out that my unabomber-esque mug shot from the testing center was being sent to HBS, Dartmouth, Kellogg, Wharton, and Booth. At least I smiled! Perhaps I should work the mountain man, survivalist angle in my applications?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
GMAT Date: 06-30-2012
GPA: 3.7
WE:Accounting (Insurance)
Send PM
You hit on a really important point... know how your body reacts to everything... i remember rushing through my 2nd awa because i needed to use the restroom that badly... do not ask me why i didnt plan better... i was 21 and stupid :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
10. Leave your cell phone and notes in the car
While this doesn't gain you any points on test day, it will keep you from making the most common and most serious test taking mistake. If you get caught with notes or a cell phone during the test, regardless if you are using them, you can be dismissed and have a "P" for policy violation put on your score report. You will lose your $250, and have to wait to take the test again. Plus you will have to deal with this on your score report, and explain to adcoms that you don't follow directions. Don't be one of these people.

I got caught in this situation back in Sept during the 8 minute break between the math and verbal section. Went to get a snack out of my bag and while moving stuff touched, my cell phone accidently and the proctor immediately called me out on it and suspended my exam. Upset/shock/scared arent even words to describe what I felt. My score report was canceled and I have a "P" on my score report for that date. I'm super nervous about submitting applications b/c of that and am I struggling for ways to appropriately address this to the adcom in the 4th essay. I obviously had no intention of cheating or anything like that, I simply touched my phone to get my snack and automatic violation. I should have put the phone in the zip pocket, took the snacks out of the bag before going in to take the test, etc etc etc in retrospect. But now that I have this on my record, I have to deal with it. Any advice would be greatly appreciate :-/
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1207 [4]
Send PM
Kudos
Well, this is definitely a bummer of a situation. In your case, you weren't cheating or trying to get an advantage, but instead you broke a rule. This is one of the most publicised rules, so unfortunately even though a minor offense, you've been convicted of not following directions. I don't believe adcoms would assume you were a liar, cheat, or unethical (unless something else in app points to that??). Here's another thread on this topic: gmat-misconduct-got-kicked-out-from-test-106642.html

The best you can do is be 100% truthful. Honesty is the best policy. Plus adcoms love candidates that "overcome, face adversity, and get things done". You really just have to keep it short and sweet and try to show how you overcame this adversity professionally and went about retaking the test. I would take full ownership for your mistake, and explain the situation. The shorter the better. I personally had to address an F on my transcript b/c of a class I took. It wasn't fun, but I retook the class the following semester and got an A. It was truly just a horrible midterm. What can you do? This is what the optional essay is for. You really have to take this opportunity to continue to sell yourself. Show how you've learned from this situation and what you did to overcome it. You're not writing your own obituary, it's an opportunity to sell sell sell. I think you're making too much of it. This isn't going to keep you out of schools if you address it and minimize damage, it's just a blip on the radar that needs to be explained.

Don't let it get you down too much because what's done is done. Now its time to put together the best application YOU can! This mistake will not keep you from achieving you goals, and hopefully one day you can look back and laugh at this snafu. So few people have the "perfect" application, and wish they could change aspects, this is just something you will have to overcome and address in the optional essay. These types of things are what that essay is for right? Best of luck! PS, come back and follow up with an outcome whenever apps have played out.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
good piece of information :)
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 974 [0]
Given Kudos: 264
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Send PM
GMATLA, great help buddy...thanx a ton,,
this post of urs is worth 5 kudos n i wish i could give u that many ....lol..
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1207 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
So I'd like to add another! I know I know, 12 is wayyy to many, but I have to admit, they all help on test day:

12. Visualize test day success
This is a technique used by many world class athletes. Visualize your success on the big day. Imagine yourself getting every problem right, seeing questions you know, pumping your fist when you see your dream score, walking out of the test center and telling all your friends and family your success, and even writing you debrief on GMATclub. Seriously, the psychological effects of visualization can be profound in building confidence and keeping a clear mind. It's the self-fulfilling prophecy. When you are doing practice tests and on the big day, imagine seeing that score you want, pumping your fist, and saying goodbye to the GMAT forever. Using this technique could help give you that confidence boost to push you to the next level on test day!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [3]
Given Kudos: 58
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Dartmouth (Tuck) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.66
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
@GMATLA
Excellent post! I very much agree with you that there are many aspiring GMAT-ers who are focusing 100% on problems and leaving some of these other areas out. Thank you for pointing out that the experiential preparation is nearly as important as the content reviews and practice problems we all expect to work on.

One additional point to add on to your considerations on stamina:
You and I have exchanged some messages on this point in other topics, but to reiterate - stamina also means not checking the answer of each problem during your practice sets. I think many folks do this - I get it, you want to know if you're correct or not - but this disrupts your rhythm.
I believe that once you get near to test date, the most effective practice mechanism is doing problems in test-like sets (37-41) without breaks or checking answers.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1207 [0]
Send PM
@LadyRoadWarrior

This is absolutely true. You definitely want to string practice problems together as opposed to doing 1 problem then reviewing the answer. Reviewing the answer immediately may give you gratification, but it will keep you from learning about test day stamina. I would definitely recommend stringing together questions during practice whenever possible. 10-20-30-40 problems at a time. I know this can be tough, but it definitely builds stamina and helps with test day conditions. For instance, do 10 math problems at once, and set a 20 minute timer... it will help with timing and stamina. Generally give yourself 2 minutes per math problem, 1:30 seconds per SC, and 2 min for CR (depends on passage size and length for RC). Also, make sure that you mix in other problem types. On test day you won't get 20 SC questions in a row, but instead SC, CR, and RC. Same with math, make sure to do DS and PS when possible. On test day, you won't get 20 PS problems in a row.

This is one of the reasons why I feel that people find the GMATclub tests so helpful. They are like a full quant section, they force you to time yourself, and force you to not check the answers until your done. They also help b/c they often very challenging problems.

So with these extra tips in mind, good luck with the studying!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Kudos
Thanks for some great tips!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [1]
Given Kudos: 35
Concentration: Marketing, Entreprenurship
Schools:Tepper, McCombs, Kelley, Darden, Andersen
 Q50  V28 GMAT 2: 730  Q51  V40
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Kudos
@ GMATLA
Great contribution and tips. +1
Manager
Manager
Status:Taking heavily leveraged but calculated risks at all times
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [1]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT Date: 01-31-2012
Send PM
Kudos
Awesome post. I love 12 especially.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
I am going to KILL this test! I love it! Kudos!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Taking regular restroom breaks certainly helps between various sections even if you don't need one. It provides your body a bit of motion and also distracts your mind out of exam room. Try to avoid any discussions during the break to avoid loosing focus. I still haven't appeared for exam but have done prometric tests and it really helps me.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 317 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
great POST!
It will help me a lot for the last week!!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
Send PM
Thanks for the advice GMATLA. Great stuff as I'm just preparing my preparation.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3671 [3]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Kudos
Excellent list! Especially like the last one. Let me expand on cognition: Think extreme positivity and confidence.

In a way, this is a chicken and egg problem. You need to do well on GMAT questions in order to be confident. And you need confidence in order to get the tough GMAT questions correct. But you should develop a little of each and have them grow upon each other.

Bad thoughts:
1) I suck at math.
2) There’s no way I’ll finish the exam.
3) English is not my first language, I can’t do it.

Good thoughts:
1) Math is not my strong point, but this math isn’t rocket science. Sure, I get some wrong, but looking back at them–the questions are actually pretty easy. I just need become familiar with the different ways that the GMAT can test me on these relatively simple concepts that I learned in high school. I can do that! No problem!

2) GMAT is a timed test. I’ve had tons of timed tests before. I just need to come in with the right thought process and get enough practice that I have the confidence to know when I am positively sure about a GMAT question. By being super confident in an answer in as little time as possible, I know know I’ll be able to nail the super easy ones in less than one minute and the harder ones in less than 2-3 minutes. Confidence = less double checking/rereading = less time.

3) Although idioms are a part of the GMAT, a lot of the questions actually don’t test the idioms. A lot of times there are other concepts tested alongside the idioms and as long as I focus on that portion of the question, understand the key frameworks, and recognize how those concepts can show up in test questions, I’ll be fine.

Extreme positivity:

I’m going to kickass on the GMAT. Sure, I’ve been to college and failed tons of exams. But the GMAT is so much easier–it’s high school material repackaged in fancy, awkward questions. I just need to get used to it. My goal is to follow a study plan. I’ll stick to it and keep pushing myself. Heck, I’ll even visualize the questions that I got wrong and see myself think through it correctly as if I were sitting in for the real exam.

My strategy will be to first get as many correct GMAT practice questions as I can. Then I’ll try to get those questions correct in as little time as possible. Any question the GMAT throws at me will be answered correctly and tossed away as I wait for the next one. Bring it!

Read more GMAT strategy
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4