Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:54 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1207 [1]
Given Kudos: 114
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64900 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Re: Not getting anywhere with RCs [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Bibli wrote:
Hi,

My exam is in less than a week and im not getting anywhere with RCs. I tried both approaches 1) Reading the passage as it were house , marking information.Then going back to the passage as and when i solve questions. The problem with this technique was i was not able to solve inference questions. 2) Then i tried to read the entire passage in one go and then answer questions. But here again i realized that i still needed to read the passage especially in case of RCs that were long and abstract.

i have done all the OG11 RCs. The main point questions were my weak area, i had worked on them. Doing practice tests now , complete Verbal section tests and also full length tests. In one of the exams i ended up spending 15 mins on all 3 passages and i got most answers wrong. This greatly affected my score :(

I am fine with SC and CR. I take an average of 90 secs to solve them (depending one the question)

Pls suggest a strategy for RC. What can i fine tune?

Different strategies work for different people so there is no one clear sure shot 'method' of attacking RC passages. What does work for many people and gives good accuracy is reading the passage properly the first time around and a quick second read too if needed which will mainly be a revision read. Say, you read the passage completely once. Then you take one paragraph at a time and tell yourself what it talked about. There will be one main point in every paragraph. Identify that. At the end of the read, you take 10 secs to remind yourself all the important points. Thereafter, the universal questions (main point, tone etc) will not be a problem. In fact, after this you should be able to answer the 3-4 questions in under 2 minutes. You have to be mindful of the time and a good reading speed is an asset.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks Karishma... after reading your reply i felt that i'm not alone who 'd like to reread the passage. I will try to summarize each para and the quick pts in 10 secs. I like this strategy, will try it today when i give my verbal test.
SVP
SVP
Status:<strong>Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.</strong>
Own Kudos [?]: 3594 [0]
Given Kudos: 235
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
Practical advice.

With just a week left you can not magically improve your RC skills, but what you can do now is to cope with your limitations and practice as much as you can to understand when to give up on RC question. The time spent on RC question that you can not answer could be used for SC CR.

Same way if you are good at SC and CR, you can spend the time saved from these two question types on RC questions by giving more time to RC.

The only way to make your subconscious mind to remember such things is by practising full length test. Just make sure you do not lose your confidence and spirits. This is just a test and by losing your temper you will only harm your score. So when we know something can only harm, why to do it?

Still at the end if you think you can improve your RC performance if you are given more time, better postpone it.
GMAT Club Bot