Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 10:40 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 10:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16650 [22]
Given Kudos: 217
Concentration: International Business, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V45
GPA: 2.9
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618778 [9]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: IE '15 (M)
GPA: 3
WE:Consulting (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 908 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.7
WE:Account Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
game [#permalink]
when looking at each statement they give new scenarios but the we can only look at number of teams that match the original number of teams example in stmt 2 there's 30 ppl to make teams and factors are 3,5,6 but 5 is not a factor of 24
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64895 [2]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
In order to play a certain game, 24 players must be split in [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
enigma123 wrote:
In order to play a certain game, 24 players must be split into n teams, with each team having an equal number of players. If there are more than two teams, and if each team has more than two players, how many teams are there?

(1) If thirteen new players join the game, one must sit out so that the rest can be split up evenly among the teams.
(2) If seven new players join the game, one must sit out so that the rest can be split up evenly among the teams.

As the OA is not provided, I would like to double check my solution for this problem. This is how I solved it.

Considering the Question Stem

Total players = 24
Number of Teams > 2
Players in each Team > 2
Number of Teams ---> We have to find.

Considering Statement 1

13 players join. So total players = 24+13 = 37. 1 sit out, so total players 36. So now the number of teams can be 18, 12, 9. Therefore insufficient

Considering Statement 2

7 new players join. So total players = 24 + 7 = 29. 1 sit out, so total players 28. Again, the number of teams can be 14, 7, 4. Therefore insufficient.

Combining the two statements - > We can't calculate the exact number of teams and therefore my answer is E. Can you please check and let me know your thoughts guys?

Grouping theory of divisibility helps you solve many questions very quickly, very easily and by just using a little bit of imagination.

I will show you how it is applicable in this question:

"In order to play a certain game, 24 players must be split into n teams, with each team having an equal number of players."
There are 24 people. They are divided into groups with equal no. of people. They could be divided into 3 groups (8 people each) or 4 groups (6 people each) or 6 groups (4 people each) or 8 groups (3 people each). Once we know how many people were there in each group, we can find out the number of groups.

(1) If thirteen new players join the game, one must sit out so that the rest can be split up evenly among the teams.
1 player sits out so the rest of the 12 people can also be divided into groups of 6 people each or 4 people each or 3 people each. It is not sufficient to know how many people were there in each group.

(2) If seven new players join the game, one must sit out so that the rest can be split up evenly among the teams.
6 people can also be made to form a group of 6 people or two groups of 3 people each.

Using both statements, we see that the groups could consist of 6 people each or 3 people each. So together they are not sufficient.

Originally posted by KarishmaB on 17 Feb 2012, 02:03.
Last edited by KarishmaB on 11 Oct 2022, 01:03, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Re: In order to play a certain game, 24 players must be split in [#permalink]
Thank you for the descriptions. I did not think of the factor approach. It makes sense to think of this problem as they are asking for N which is 2 < N < 24, and N are the factors of 24, which are 3, 4, 6, 8. Now statement 1 can have 12 divisible by 3, 4, 6 so not suff. and statement 2 has 6 divisible by 3, and 6 so not sufficient. Thank you.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Re: Players and teams [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
In order to play a certain game, 24 players must be split into n teams, with each team having an equal number of players. If there are more than two teams, and if each team has more than two players, how many teams are there?

Given: n>2 and 24/n>2, so basically n is a factor of 24 satisfying both requirements (2<n<12). n can take the following values: 3, 4, 6, and 8. Question: n=?

(1) If thirteen new players join the game, one must sit out so that the rest can be split up evenly among the teams --> (24+13)-1=36 is also multiple of n --> n can be: 3, 4, or 6. Not sufficient.

(2) If seven new players join the game, one must sit out so that the rest can be split up evenly among the teams --> (24+7)-1=30 is also a multiple of n --> n can be: 3, or 6. Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) n can still be: 3 or 6. Not sufficient.

Answer: E.

Can You please explain me how (1)+(2) will appears? I mean what is the statement after combining (1)+(2)
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618778 [0]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Re: Players and teams [#permalink]
Expert Reply
mannava189 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

Given: n>2 and 24/n>2, so basically n is a factor of 24 satisfying both requirements (2<n<12). n can take the following values: 3, 4, 6, and 8. Question: n=?

(1) If thirteen new players join the game, one must sit out so that the rest can be split up evenly among the teams --> (24+13)-1=36 is also multiple of n --> n can be: 3, 4, or 6. Not sufficient.

(2) If seven new players join the game, one must sit out so that the rest can be split up evenly among the teams --> (24+7)-1=30 is also a multiple of n --> n can be: 3, or 6. Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) n can still be: 3 or 6. Not sufficient.

Answer: E.

Can You please explain me how (1)+(2) will appears? I mean what is the statement after combining (1)+(2)

From (1) we have that n could be: 3, 4, or 6.
From (2) we have that n could be: 3, or 6.

So, when we combine we get that n could be 3 or 6.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 80 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
Schools: Booth '17 (M)
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.66
WE:Operations (Manufacturing)
Send PM
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
enigma123 wrote:

As the OA is not provided, I would like to double check my solution for this problem. This is how I solved it.

Considering the Question Stem

Total players = 24
Number of Teams > 2
Players in each Team > 2
Number of Teams ---> We have to find.

Considering Statement 1

13 players join. So total players = 24+13 = 37. 1 sit out, so total players 36. So now the number of teams can be 18, 12, 9. Therefore insufficient

Considering Statement 2

7 new players join. So total players = 24 + 7 = 29. 1 sit out, so total players 28. Again, the number of teams can be 14, 7, 4. Therefore insufficient.

Combining the two statements - > We can't calculate the exact number of teams and therefore my answer is E. Can you please check and let me know your thoughts guys?

Grouping theory of divisibility helps you solve many questions very quickly, very easily and by just using a little bit of imagination. I would strongly advise you to check it out:
https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2011/04 ... unraveled/

I will show you how it is applicable in this question:

"In order to play a certain game, 24 players must be split into n teams, with each team having an equal number of players."
There are 24 people. They are divided into groups with equal no. of people. They could be divided into 3 groups (8 people each) or 4 groups (6 people each) or 6 groups (4 people each) or 8 groups (3 people each). Once we know how many people were there in each group, we can find out the number of groups.

1 player sits out so the rest of the 12 people can also be divided into groups of 6 people each or 4 people each or 3 people each. It is not sufficient to know how many people were there in each group.

6 people can also be made to form a group of 6 people or two groups of 3 people each.

Using both statements, we see that the groups could consist of 6 people each or 3 people each. So together they are not sufficient.

;
The question would had been solvable in case the statement were like ; 4 people joined and were accommodated or 4 people joined and 1 had to sit out for even distribution.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64895 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
aceacharya wrote:
The question would had been solvable in case the statement were like ; 4 people joined and were accommodated or 4 people joined and 1 had to sit out for even distribution.

Yes, that's right.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4054 [0]
Given Kudos: 156
Send PM
Bunuel/Karishma,

I think it's below 600 level question...Your thoughts please!
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64895 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
debayan222 wrote:
Bunuel/Karishma,

I think it's below 600 level question...Your thoughts please!

I will stick with 600-700

Some people could start off thinking it's a Permutation Combination problem.
You cannot make an equation and solve it.
You can imagine the scenario and see the answer quickly if you understand the concept of division - it may not be that clear otherwise.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
GPA: 3
WE:Marketing (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Bunuel

Can we solve it using the remainders concept :

I started off with :