Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 19:28 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 19:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1256 [11]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618608 [10]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 612 [3]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Director
Director
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Own Kudos [?]: 588 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Re: Coordinate [#permalink]
a. means y=0,substituting in the equation we get two values for x.
sufficient.

b y= mx + c meaning y = 0+ 16 (substitution)
clearly no clue about other point and slope.
Not sufficient.

A it is.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72861 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: At how many points does line L intersect with the parabola [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Smita04 wrote:
At how many points does line L intersect with the parabola represented by y = x² - 3x + 6?
(1) Line L is parallel to x-axis.
(2) Line L passes through the point (0, 16).

What is the source? You did not specify....
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618608 [2]
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Bumping for review and further discussion*. Get a kudos point for an alternative solution!

*New project from GMAT Club!!! Check HERE

Theory on Coordinate Geometry: math-coordinate-geometry-87652.html

All DS Coordinate Geometry Problems to practice: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=41
All PS Coordinate Geometry Problems to practice: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=62
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 526 [1]
Given Kudos: 148
Send PM
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:

(2) Line L passes through the point (0, 16). Since (0, 16) is higher than y-intercept of parabola, then line L is "trapped" and must have at least one intersection with parabola (it'll have only one for example if L is y=0). Not sufficient.

I think the highlight words should be x = 0, instead of y = 0.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618608 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
vad3tha wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

(2) Line L passes through the point (0, 16). Since (0, 16) is higher than y-intercept of parabola, then line L is "trapped" and must have at least one intersection with parabola (it'll have only one for example if L is y=0). Not sufficient.

I think the highlight words should be x = 0, instead of y = 0.

Typo edited. Thank you.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
At how many points does line L intersect with the parabola represented by y = x² - 3x + 6?

Generally a parabola and a line can have 0, 1, or 2 intersection points.

Notice than in our case, since the coefficient of x^2 is positive, then we have an upward parabola, which intersects y-axis at (0, 6). Just to illustrate, below is the graph of y = x^2 - 3x + 6:
Attachment:
parabola.gif

(1) Line L is parallel to x-axis. All three cases are possible: line L can be below the given parabola (no intersection), line L can go through the vertex (1 intersection) or cross it above the vertex (2 intersections). Not sufficient.

Notice that if it were: line L is parallel to y-axis then we would know that it would cross a parabola at one point, hence in this case the statement would be sufficient.

(2) Line L passes through the point (0, 16). Since (0, 16) is higher than y-intercept of parabola, then line L is "trapped" and must have at least one intersection with parabola (it'll have only one for example if L is x=0). Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) Line L intersect with the parabola at two points. Sufficient.

Answer: C.

Hi Bunuel ,Can you explain preferably thru diagram how line intersects parabola in 0 and 1 way. I am ok with 2 but not 0 and 1. Please explain.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618608 [1]
Send PM