Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 08:24 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 08:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2555 [23]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618753 [22]
Given Kudos: 81587
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [3]
Given Kudos: 40
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.51
Send PM
Re: Beth's bank charges a service fee on a regular checking [#permalink]
Yes, the answer is E since it doesn't provide any information about deposits. And also if deposits are mentioned still it is tricky to figure out if at any time the balance fell below $100
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 29903 [1]
Given Kudos: 799
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
BANON wrote:
Beth's bank charges a service fee on a regular checking account for each month in which the balance on the account falls below $100 at any time during the month. Did the bank charge a service fee on Beth's regular checking account last month?

(1) During last month, a total of $1,000 was withdrawn from Beth's regular checking account.
(2) At the beginning of last month, Beth's regular checking account balance was $500.

Target question: Did the bank charge a service fee on Beth's regular checking account last month?

REPHRASED target question: Did Beth's balance ever go below $100?

Statement 1: During last month, a total of $1,000 was withdrawn from Beth's regular checking account.
Were given no information about her starting balance, so we can't say whether or not Beth's balance went below $100
INSUFFICIENT

Statement 2: At the beginning of last month, Beth's regular checking account balance was $500.
Were given no information about how much money Beth withdrew over the month, so we can't say whether or not Beth's balance went below $100
INSUFFICIENT

Statements 1 and 2 combined
Here are two CONTRADICTORY scenarios that could have occurred:
Case a: Beth begins the month with $500. On Day 2, she deposits $500 more. On Day 3, she withdraws $1000. In this case, Beth's balance went below $100.
Case b: Beth begins the month with $500. On Day 2, she deposits $10,000 more. On Day 3, she withdraws $1000. No other deposits or withdrawals are made for the rest of the month. In this case, Beth's balance NEVER went below $100.
Since we cannot answer the REPHRASED target question with certainty, the combined statements are NOT SUFFICIENT

Answer: E

Cheers,
Brent
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7626 [0]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Top Contributor
This is a Yes-No type of DS question. The question we have to answer is if the bank charged Beth a service fee, which in other words, boils down to finding if her account balance fell below $100.

From statement I alone, a total of $1000 was withdrawn from Beth’s account. But, we do not know how much the balance in the account was before the withdrawal was done.
We also do not have any information about the deposits that were made, statement I doesn’t tell us anything about deposits made.
Statement I alone is insufficient to answer the question. Answer options A and D can be eliminated. Possible answer options at this stage are B, C or E.

From statement II alone, Beth’s regular checking account had $500 at the beginning of last month. This is very insufficient to find out what the balance was at the end of the month and hence to find out if the service fee was charged.
Statement II alone is insufficient, answer option B can be eliminated. Possible answer options are C or E.

Combining statements I and II, we have the following:
From statement II, we have the information about the balance at the beginning of the month.
From statement I, we have the information about the total amount due to the withdrawals made.
However, we still do not have information about the deposits made into Beth’s account. It’s still possible that a substantial sum was deposited and her balance never even came close to $100, let alone being lesser.
The combination of statements is insufficient to answer the question. Answer option C can be eliminated.

The correct answer option is E.

Hope that helps!
Arvind.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92902 posts