Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 23:37 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 23:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 730 [44]
Given Kudos: 23
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V37
GMAT 2: 720 Q48 V40
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618864 [29]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 460 Q35 V20
GPA: 3.6
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Status:2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Own Kudos [?]: 3945 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Finance, SMEs, Developing countries, Public sector and non profit organizations
Schools:Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
GPA: 4.0
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Send PM
Re: Set X consists of seven consecutive integers, and Set Y consists of [#permalink]
Set X consists of seven consecutive integers, and set Y consists of nine consecutive integers. Is the median of the numbers in set X equal to the median of the numbers in set Y ?
(1) The sum of the numbers in set X is equal to the sum of the numbers in set Y.
(2) The median of the numbers in set Y is 0.

In retaltion to the clue (1), I have the following doubt:
Algebraicaly, we can express the question in this way:
\(X = {x, x+1, x+2,...x+6}\)
\(Y = {y, y+1, y+2,...., y+8}\)
Being x and y integers.

Based on the clue (1) that the sum of the numbers in set X is equal to the sum of the numbers in set Y, we can say:

\(7x + 21 = 9y + 36\)
\(7x - 9y = 15\)

Picking numbers I have found two possible combinations:
x = -3 and y = -4, which means YES to the question.
x = -12 and y = -11, which means NO to the question.

Is there a faster way to solve it? :?

Source: https://www.gmathacks.com
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 186 [1]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 3.9
WE:Marketing (Other)
Send PM
Re: Set X consists of seven consecutive integers, and Set Y consists of [#permalink]
Kudos
Set X consists of seven consecutive integers, and set Y consists of nine consecutive integers. Is the median of the numbers in set X equal to the median of the numbers in set Y ?
(1) The sum of the numbers in set X is equal to the sum of the numbers in set Y.

Quite tricky question.
In such questions i try to answer YES or NO precisely by using the info from one of the statements. Lets try YES - two medians are equal, considering that both sets consists of consequtive integers, this to happen all number of set X should be within the set Y and then the mid number will be the same. Since there are no restrictions lets take numbers from 1 to 7 for set X and 1 to 9 for set Y - mid muber is 5.

Statement 1) from the first glance this condition does not fit into our sets from 1 to 9 and 1 to 7. So this statemnt seems sufficient, and i am about to say that possible answer for this question is either A or D. But then i am looking at the statement 2.

Statement 2) sometimes it helps to look at both statements before making any kind of conclusion because in real GMAT questions both statements never contradict each other, and by knowing more information it is easier to make final conclusion. In this qestion i forgot to consider that negative numbers also could be within the sets. This statement tells us about set y only, no info about set X - not sufficient.

Combining both statements: from st.1 we see that sum of set Y is 0, by st.1 we see that the sum of the set X also should be 0. This is only possible if the middle number of the set X is 0.

Answer is C
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V45
GPA: 3.84
Send PM
we can get the answer:

the first number of set x is x, then the the median is x+4

the first number of set y is y, then the median is y+5

so when x-y=1, the medians are equal

the question is asking: is x-y=1?

(1) the sum of set x is 7(x+3) and of set y is 9(y+4)

so 7x-9y=15

insufficient, because

you can solve the equation:

7x-9y=15
x-y=1

then you get:

when x=-3, y=-4, the medians are equal, otherwise not

(2) y=-5

nothing to do with x, insufficient

(1)(2)

from one we know when y=-4, the medians equal, so

sufficient
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 194
Schools: IIM-A"19
Send PM
My way of solving

X = a, a+1, a+2...a+6
Y = p, p+1, .........p+9

To find Med X = Med Y ?

S-1) a+21 = p+36, So a = p+15.
a = -10 then p =-25
a = -1 then p =14. Many such scenarios leads to nothing. Not sufficient

S-2) -4,-3,-2,-1,0,1,2,3,4. Median = 0 and Sum = 0. Not sufficient as no info for X.

S-T) Since from S-1 sum X = sum Y means X = -3,-2,-1,0, 1,2,3. Yes Median will be same as Sum = Median = 0
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1779 [0]
Given Kudos: 2562
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
let's A is the media of X, and B is the median of Y => 7A= 9B => A > B or A=B= 0
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Wharton '23
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Set X consists of seven consecutive integers, and Set Y consists of nine consecutive integers. Is the median of the numbers in set X equal to the median of the numbers in set Y?

Okay so I have a better approach
If sum in set X=sum in set Y
therefore mean of X cannot be equal to mean of Y as total number of elements are different EXCEPT IF THE SUM ITSELF IS 0!
so we dont know that : insufficient
b-> median of Y is zero therefore mean of Y is zero therefore sum of Y is zero and well thats it still not sufficient

A+B
Aaaha so if i know sum of Y is zero and its equal to X
I can be sure as hell that median = mean = 0 and hence they are equal and C is OA
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92900 posts