Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:56 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16650 [229]
Given Kudos: 217
Concentration: International Business, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V45
GPA: 2.9
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618879 [55]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64907 [38]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 908 [2]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.7
WE:Account Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Re: The Carson family will purchase three used cars. There are [#permalink]
Kudos
Bunuel, I don't understand the logic behind why you grouped it like that.
in MGMAT they said to use the slot method, first car has 8 choices, second has 6, third has 6. to account for overcounting we divide by the factorial 3!. same number but i understand that logic a little better but i am inclined to use your method on the test.
Can you explain?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618879 [19]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
calreg11 wrote:
in MGMAT they said to use the slot method, first car has 8 choices, second has 6, third has 6. to account for overcounting we divide by the factorial 3!. same number but i understand that logic a little better but i am inclined to use your method on the test.
Can you explain?

We are selecting 3 different color cars out of 4 possible colors. In how many ways it can be done? \(C^3_4=4\), selecting 3 out of 4.

Next, there are 2 models of each selected car of a certain color available, hence each selected car has 2 options: Model A or Model B. Since there are 3 selected cars then total ways is 2*2*2.

Grand total 4*2^3=32.

Check the links in my previous post for similar questions.

Hope it helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1323 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Bunnel,

I tried solving it through 8C3 = 56, as there are 8 options available Model A with 4 colors, and Model B with 4 colors, and we have to select 3 out of those..Can you please explain what is wrong in this approach ?

Thanks!
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618879 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
gmihir wrote:
Bunnel,

I tried solving it through 8C3 = 56, as there are 8 options available Model A with 4 colors, and Model B with 4 colors, and we have to select 3 out of those..Can you please explain what is wrong in this approach ?

Thanks!

8C3 gives total # of ways to select 3 cars out of 8. But in the question we have a restriction saying that "all the cars (selected) are to be different colors", naturally restriction will reduce the number of combinations possible, so 56 cannot be a correct answer.

Hope it's clear.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
GMAT 1: 520 Q34 V27
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38
GPA: 3.01
WE:Information Technology (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
calreg11 wrote:
Can you explain?

Bunuel, Calgreg, if I follow the MGMAT method I don't understand what over counting they are talking about. I understand the 8 for the first choice, 6 for the second, and 4 for the third, but why do the division afterwards?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618879 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
ashish8 wrote:
calreg11 wrote:
Can you explain?

Bunuel, Calgreg, if I follow the MGMAT method I don't understand what over counting they are talking about. I understand the 8 for the first choice, 6 for the second, and 4 for the third, but why do the division afterwards?

Check this problem: if-there-are-four-distinct-pairs-of-brothers-and-sisters-99992.html and this post there: if-there-are-four-distinct-pairs-of-brothers-and-sisters-99992.html#p775925
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 370 [0]
Given Kudos: 134
Send PM
Bunuel, Karishma,

You gotta help me out here, m getting shaky on all my Combinatorics concepts.

I approached the problem as

\(8C8 * 7C6 * 4C1\)

What exactly m I doing wrong?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64907 [7]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
eaakbari wrote:
Bunuel, Karishma,

\(8C8 * 7C6 * 4C1\)

I have no idea how you got 8C8, 7C6 and 4C1.

I could have understood 8C1*6C1*4C1 (I have explained why this doesn't work in the post above)

The best way to solve it is by first selecting 3 colors out of the given 4 in 4C3 ways. (say, you got black, red and green)
Now for each color, you have 2 choices - model A or B
So you select a model in 2 ways.
No of ways of selecting the 3 cars = 4C3 * 2 * 2 * 2 = 32
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 370 [0]
Given Kudos: 134
Send PM
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
eaakbari wrote:
Bunuel, Karishma,

\(8C8 * 7C6 * 4C1\)

I have no idea how you got 8C8, 7C6 and 4C1.

I could have understood 8C1*6C1*4C1 (I have explained why this doesn't work in the post above)

The best way to solve it is by first selecting 3 colors out of the given 4 in 4C3 ways. (say, you got black, red and green)

Well, my logic was

The number of ways of selecting r objects from n different objects is nCr.

We have 8 options and can select either of the 8 as the first - 8C8

One car is gone and one becomes a forbidden choice so we have 7 options and need to select either of the 6 as the first - 7C6

Two cars are gone and two becomes a forbidden choice so we have 6 options and need to select either of the 4 as the first - 6C4

I reckon that my understanding of Combinatorics logic is fundamentally flawed. Appreciate if you could tell me where and what
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64907 [2]
Send PM
The Carson family will purchase three used cars. There are [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
eaakbari wrote:

Well, my logic was

One car is gone and one becomes a forbidden choice so we have 7 options and need to select either of the 6 as the first - 7C6

Two cars are gone and two becomes a forbidden choice so we have 6 options and need to select either of the 4 as the first - 6C4

I reckon that my understanding of Combinatorics logic is fundamentally flawed. Appreciate if you could tell me where and what

Yes, I think you need to go through a PnC book from scratch.

"The number of ways of selecting r objects from n different objects is nCr" - This is correct. You need to apply it correctly now.

As for this question,

--- We have 8 options and we need to select 1 out of those 8. So n = 8 and r = 1. This gives us 8C1 ways. (Say you selected BlackA)

--- Now one car is gone and we cannot select another one. Now we have 6 cars to choose from and we again have to select 1. So n = 6 and r = 1. We get 6C1 ways (Say you selected GreenB)

--- Now 2 cars are gone and 2 are forbidden. You can choose out of only 4 cars and you have to select only 1. Again, n = 4 and r = 1 so we get 4C1 (Say you selected RedA)

You select 3 cars in 8C1 * 6C1 * 4C1 ways but there is a flaw here. You selected BlackA, GreenB and RedA.
In another case, you could have selected RedA first, then BlackA and then GreenB. This combination is the same as the previous one but we are counting it separately. The point is we have arranged the cars as first, second and third which we should not do since it is a group.

As I said before, you might want to start with fundamentals from a book.

Originally posted by KarishmaB on 27 Dec 2012, 01:28.
Last edited by KarishmaB on 02 Oct 2022, 22:36, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 331 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
eaakbari wrote:

Well, my logic was

Yes, I think you need to go through a PnC book from scratch. You can check out the Veritas Combinatorics and Probability book at amazon.

"The number of ways of selecting r objects from n different objects is nCr" - This is correct. You need to apply it correctly now.

As for this question,

--- We have 8 options and we need to select 1 out of those 8. So n = 8 and r = 1. This gives us 8C1 ways. (Say you selected BlackA)

--- Now one car is gone and we cannot select another one. Now we have 6 cars to choose from and we again have to select 1. So n = 6 and r = 1. We get 6C1 ways (Say you selected GreenB)

--- Now 2 cars are gone and 2 are forbidden. You can choose out of only 4 cars and you have to select only 1. Again, n = 4 and r = 1 so we get 4C1 (Say you selected RedA)

You select 3 cars in 8C1 * 6C1 * 4C1 ways but there is a flaw here. You selected BlackA, GreenB and RedA.
In another case, you could have selected RedA first, then BlackA and then GreenB. This combination is the same as the previous one but we are counting it separately. The point is we have arranged the cars as first, second and third which we should not do since it is a group.

Hi Karishma,

I made a similar error in the beginning and looking back at it, it might have been because I might have tried to mix in "probability" into the combinatorics problem.

If you treat it as a probability, wouldn't the above posters approach be correct?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64907 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
russ9 wrote:
eaakbari wrote:

Well, my logic was

Yes, I think you need to go through a PnC book from scratch. You can check out the Veritas Combinatorics and Probability book at amazon.

As for this question,

Hi Karishma,

I made a similar error in the beginning and looking back at it, it might have been because I might have tried to mix in "probability" into the combinatorics problem.

If you treat it as a probability, wouldn't the above posters approach be correct?

The approach of the poster here is quite wrong. You just need the number of cases here so it is not a probability question. If you do want to figure out the correct method in case it were a probability question, give the question you want to discuss and the solution you will use. Then I can tell you whether you are correct.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64907 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply

Quote:
My doubt was

Can you please explain why we have multiplied 2*2*2 with 4C3.

what i did to solve this was 4C3 * 2C1 where 2C1 are for selection of model . Can you please let me know what i have missed here.

Thanks

What you did is correct but incomplete.

You select 3 colors in 4C3 ways is correct. Say you select blue, black and red.
Now you have 3 different colors but for each color you have 2 models available. So you must select a model for EACH color. You do that in 2C1 ways for EACH color. Say model A for blue, model B for black and model A for red.

Total selection can be made in 4C3 * 2C1 * 2C1 * 2C1 ways
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
GMAT 1: 550 Q49 V17
Send PM
Hello,
I have solved the problem in the following way. From the question I came to know that there are two categories of cars of 4 different colors each. So, in total there are 8 cars. We need to select 3 cars of different colors. So, we can do it in two ways. We can select 2 cars from category A and one from B------> C(4,2)* C(2,1) = 12 ----> C(2,1) for B as we have already selected two colors from A so we are left with the rest 2 colors and we have selected 1 from them.

Secondly, we can select 1 car from A and 2 cars from B-----> C(4,1) * C(3,2) = 12

Therefore, total ways of combinations = 12+12 = 24. But, unfortunately this is not the correct answer. Kindly tell me where I went wrong.

Thank You in advance. :-D
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64907 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
deya wrote:
Hello,
I have solved the problem in the following way. From the question I came to know that there are two categories of cars of 4 different colors each. So, in total there are 8 cars. We need to select 3 cars of different colors. So, we can do it in two ways. We can select 2 cars from category A and one from B------> C(4,2)* C(2,1) = 12 ----> C(2,1) for B as we have already selected two colors from A so we are left with the rest 2 colors and we have selected 1 from them.

Secondly, we can select 1 car from A and 2 cars from B-----> C(4,1) * C(3,2) = 12

Therefore, total ways of combinations = 12+12 = 24. But, unfortunately this is not the correct answer. Kindly tell me where I went wrong.

What about selecting all three cars from A or all three cars from B?

All three cars can have the same model. The only constraint is that they need to be of different colors.

Select all from A - In 4C3 = 4 ways
Select all from B - In 4C3 = 4 ways

Total = 24+4+4 = 32 ways
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 268
Send PM
deya wrote:
Hello,

All three cars can have the same model. The only constraint is that they need to be of different colors.

Total = 24+4+4 = 32 ways

Hi Karishma,
Need some help here.

I tried the method given above as well.But I'm confused regarding this.If I'm selecting 2 cars of Model A in 4c2 ways and correspondingly I select I car from Model B in 2c1 ways(2 colors removed because already selected in A) then why are not taking the cases other way around i.e 2 cars of Model B in 4c2 and 1 car of B in 2c1.After all,they are all different cars.Won't that be added to the combinations as well. In that case, the number of combinations would become (12+12+4)*2=56 ways..Kindly put your thoughts here.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64907 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
davesinger786 wrote:
deya wrote:
Hello,

Total = 24+4+4 = 32 ways

Hi Karishma,
Need some help here.

I tried the method given above as well.But I'm confused regarding this.If I'm selecting 2 cars of Model A in 4c2 ways and correspondingly I select I car from Model B in 2c1 ways(2 colors removed because already selected in A) then why are not taking the cases other way around i.e 2 cars of Model B in 4c2 and 1 car of B in 2c1.After all,they are all different cars.Won't that be added to the combinations as well. In that case, the number of combinations would become (12+12+4)*2=56 ways..Kindly put your thoughts here.

Right, so 4C2 * 2C1 = 12 (2 cars of model A and 1 car of model B)
From where do we get the other 12? It represents the case where we select 2 cars of model B and 1 car of model A. So these are already accounted for.

Next, you select all from A - In 4C3 = 4 ways
and then select all from B - In 4C3 = 4 ways

Total = 12+12+4+4 = 32 ways
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   
Moderators:
Math Expert
92904 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts