Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 02:59 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 333 [35]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Accounting
Schools:UT at Austin, Indiana State University, UC at Berkeley
 Q47  V34 GMAT 2: 660  Q46  V35 GMAT 3: 700  Q49  V36
GPA: 3.8
WE 1: 5.5
WE 2: 5.5
WE 3: 6.0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618892 [23]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64907 [5]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 333 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Accounting
Schools:UT at Austin, Indiana State University, UC at Berkeley
 Q47  V34 GMAT 2: 660  Q46  V35 GMAT 3: 700  Q49  V36
WE 1: 5.5
WE 2: 5.5
WE 3: 6.0
Send PM
Re: Data Sufficiency, Number Properties [#permalink]
Thanks for fast explanation, this way, I think it better to understand, rather the explanation suggested my MGMAT.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Re: divisibility & primes [#permalink]
I think it is C

Clearly both of those statements are insufficient if taken individually,

If we are considering both of 'em together! then,

a = 12, b = 5, then a+b is not divisible by 7

a= 6, b = -1, then a + b is not divisible by 7

consistent answer: no; therefore, I guess it is C

Note that in both of the above cases a-b is divisible by 7 (Stmt II) and a is not divisible by 7 (statment I)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
fluke wrote:
So, the answer is C as we have proven that "a+b" is NOT divisible by 7 using both statements. What's the confusion or there isn't any?

Hi,

Please tell me if im thinking right:

generally the rule is: multiple of a number + or - multiple of a number = multiple of a number.

(1) says a = not a multiple of 7.
(2) a-b = multiple of 7

but since we don't know the exact values of the a or b, we cant say whether a+b is divisible by 7. Hence (c) gives us a definitive NO answer.?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4702 [1]
Given Kudos: 376
Send PM
Kudos
386390 wrote:
fluke wrote:
So, the answer is C as we have proven that "a+b" is NOT divisible by 7 using both statements. What's the confusion or there isn't any?

Hi,

Please tell me if im thinking right:

generally the rule is: multiple of a number + or - multiple of a number = multiple of a number.

(1) says a = not a multiple of 7.
(2) a-b = multiple of 7

but since we don't know the exact values of the a or b, we cant say whether a+b is divisible by 7. Hence (c) gives us a definitive NO answer.?

The rule you stated is correct. But, we need to take that rule one step further.

Using 1 and 2, we can definitely say that "a+b" is NOT divisible by 7, irrespective of what value "a" or "b" bears.

Just because we can DEFINITELY answer the question as NO, the statements together become sufficient.

Question is: Is a+b divisible by 7?
Answer: No, "a+b" is not divisible by 7.

If we can answer the question asked in a stem as a definite YES or a definite NO, only then the statement(s) will be sufficient.

If the answer is: Maybe a+b is divisible by 7, then the statements become INSUFFICIENT.

In this case: a+b is definitely NOT divisible by 7. No matter what value you associate a or b with.

1. a is not divisible by 7.
a=5
b=2
a+b is divisible by 7.
a=5
b=3
a+b is NOT divisible by 7.

Thus, NOT SUFFICIENT.

2. a-b is divisible by 7.
a=14
b=7
a+b=21 is divisible by 7.
a=9
b=2
a+b=11 is NOT divisible by 7.

Thus, NOT SUFFICIENT.

Together:
a is NOT divisible by 7.
BUT a-b is divisible by 7.
Means, b is also NOT divisible by 7.

a=9
b=2
a-b=7; divisible by 7.
But, a+b=11; NOT divisible by 7.

You can as many examples as you want that satisfy both statements and you will find that a+b is never divisible by 7.

a=23
b=2
a-b=21; divisible by 7.
a+b=25; NOT divisible by 7.

Thus, answer is "C"
You can try this with other examples but you will never find a value for a or b, such that, a+b is divisible by 7. Just make sure that you don't violate any condition stated in the stem, statement 1 or statement 2.
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9242 [0]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Expert Reply
If a+b and a-b are *both* multiples of 7, then their sum must be a multiple of 7 (if you add two multiples of 7, you always get a multiple of 7), so if both are multiples of 7, then so is a+b+a-b = 2a, and a would thus also be a multiple of 7. We know from Statement 1 that's not true, so it's impossible for a+b and a-b to both be multiples of 7. Thus with both Statements we know a+b is *not* a multiple of 7 and the answer must be 'no', so the answer is C.

I'd add that I see far too many prep company questions where you have sufficient information to give a 'no' answer to the question. Such questions are exceedingly rare on the actual GMAT - there's only one such question in the two official guides combined (OG12 and Quant Review).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 324 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Send PM
1. Not sufficient
a is not divisible by 7

a b a+b divisible by 7
13 1 yes
13 2 no

2. Not sufficient

a-b is divisible by 7

a b a+b divisible by 7
14 7 yes
15 1 no

together

we have a-b is divisible by 7 and a is not divisible by 7
=> b is also not divisible by 7

a b a+b is divisible by 7
15 1 no
22 15 no

Sufficient to answer .

Answer is C.

answer is C.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Thanks for confirming Fluke and Ian.

@ IanStewart

I think that's what put me off. I was by default looking for sufficient YES answer. Whereas this one deals with a definitive NO. But thanks for highlighting that. At least now this will sit in the back of my head.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools: Harvard Business School (HBS) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.53
Send PM
MGMAT Number Properties Ch 10 #10 [#permalink]
Math masters:

I have a quick question on MGMAT Number Properties Chapter 10 Question 10.

Are the sum of integers a and b divisible by 7?

1) a is not divisible by 7
2) a-b is divisible by 7

So...I can get the right answer, but in the explanation I saw somethign that got me thinking about the answer if the question had used the number "6" instead of "7"

"1 and 2 combined tell us that a is not divisible by 7, but a-b is divisible by 7. This tells us a and b have the same remainder when divided by 7: if a-b is divisible by 7, then the remainder of a-b is zero. Therefore, the remainders of a and b must be equal"

The answer to the original question is no. But if the if the target # is 6, is the answer appears to be yes. It seems that the answer is yes for any even # and no for any odd #. Confirm?
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9242 [0]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Re: MGMAT Number Properties Ch 10 #10 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
alphastrike wrote:
Math masters:

2) a-b is divisible by 7

So...I can get the right answer, but in the explanation I saw somethign that got me thinking about the answer if the question had used the number "6" instead of "7"

"1 and 2 combined tell us that a is not divisible by 7, but a-b is divisible by 7. This tells us a and b have the same remainder when divided by 7: if a-b is divisible by 7, then the remainder of a-b is zero. Therefore, the remainders of a and b must be equal"

The answer to the original question is no. But if the if the target # is 6, is the answer appears to be yes. It seems that the answer is yes for any even # and no for any odd #. Confirm?

If you replace '7' everywhere in the question with '6', or with any other even number greater than 2, the answer would not be 'yes' using both Statements - it would sometimes be 'yes' and sometimes 'no', so the answer to the question would be E. So if we had this question:

Is the sum of positive integers a and b divisible by 6?
1) a is not divisible by 6
2) a-b is divisible by 6

then using both Statements it might be that a = 7 and b = 1, in which case the answer to the question is 'no', or it might be that a = 9 and b = 3, in which case the answer to the question is 'yes'.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 10036 [0]
Given Kudos: 361
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Send PM
Expert Reply
It's C:

1) a+b is divisible by 7 for a=1, b=6 and is not divisible by 7 for a=1, b=5. Insufficient
2) a+b is divisible by 7 for a=7, b=7 and is not divisible by 7 for a=6, b=6. Insufficient
1&2) from 2 we know that a and b has the same remainder. from 1 we know that the remainder can be {1...6}
if a = 7n+r and b=7m+r then

a + b = 7n+r + 7m + r = 7(n+m) + 2r

2r = {1..6}*2 = {2,4,6,8,10,12} - none of the possible remainders is divisible by 7, so a+b is not divisible by 7. Sufficient
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Project Management Professional (PMP)
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Marketing
Send PM
Re: Data Sufficiency, Number Properties [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
mirzohidjon wrote:
Is the sum of integers a and b divisible by 7?

2) a-b is divisible by 7

It has explanation in MGMAT test, but it is quite vague, and difficult to understand for me.
Please, elaborate...

(1) \(a=7p+r\) --> know nothing about b. Not sufficient.
(2) \(a-b=7q\) --> \(a+b=?\) --> Nor sufficient

(1)+(2) \(a=7p+r\) and \(a-b=7q\) --> \(b=a-7q\).

\(a+b=(7p+r)+(a-7q)=7p+r+7p+r-7q=7(2p-q)+2r\) --> \(7(2p-q)\) is divisible by 7. Since \(r\) is remainder from a being divided by 7, \(r\) and thus \(2r\) is not divisible by 7. So, \(a+b=7(2p-q)+2r\) is not divisible by 7. Sufficient.

Answer: C.

Thanks Bunuel... great explanation.. really helps
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 170 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT Date: 08-27-2012
WE:Marketing (Manufacturing)
Send PM
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
alphastrike wrote:
Math masters:

2) a-b is divisible by 7

Here is the logical explanation to the different answers (C and E) in the two cases (7 and 6).
First, let me explain why the answer is (C) in the original question.

So a is of one of the following formats: 7n+1, 7n+2, 7n+3, 7n+4, 7n+5 and 7n+6

2) a-b is divisible by 7
The format of b is the same as the format of a i.e. if a = 7n + 3, then b = 7m + 3 since a and b vary by a multiple of 7
e.g. if a = 43 (= 7*6+1), then b could be 22 (= 7*3 + 1). The difference between them has to be a multiple of 7 so the remainder obtained by dividing a by 7 will be the same as the remainder obtained by dividing b by 7.

Using both statements, when you sum a and b, you get,
a+b = 7n+1 + 7m+1 = 7(n+m) + 2
or
a+b = 7n+2 + 7m+2 = 7(n+m) + 4
or
a+b = 7n+3 + 7m+3 = 7(n+m) + 6
etc
I hope you see that the remainder will be some even number (either 2 or 4 or 6 or 8 or 10 or 12). The remainder will never be 7 so the sum will never be a multiple of 7.

What happens if we replace 7 by 6?
Same logic.
a+b = 6n+1 + 6m+1 = 6(n+m) + 2
or
a+b = 6n+2 + 6m+2 = 6(n+m) + 4
or
a+b = 6n+3 + 6m+3 = 6(n+m) + 6
Let me stop here. Did you see something interesting? The remainder in the last case is 6 which means a+b is divisible by 6. In some cases, a+b will not be divisible by 6 and in some cases, it will be.
Hence your answer will be (E).

Karishma, can you please check your answer since OA is C not E.
and i am also getting C as answer.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.3
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
alphastrike wrote:
Math masters:

2) a-b is divisible by 7

Alphastrike you've pointed out something very interesting.
The reason is- AS THE SUM OF THE TWO REMAINDERS WHICH ARE EQUAL CAN'T BE AN ODD NUMBER, HENCE FOR ALL ODD NUMBERS THE ANSWER IS NO.
IT FOLLOWS LOGICALLY THAT FOR EVEN NUMBER i.e 6, IT MAY BE YES OR MAY BE NO.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64907 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Expert Reply
321kumarsushant wrote:
Here is the logical explanation to the different answers (C and E) in the two cases (7 and 6).
[highlight]First, let me explain why the answer is (C) in the original question.[/highlight]

So a is of one of the following formats: 7n+1, 7n+2, 7n+3, 7n+4, 7n+5 and 7n+6

2) a-b is divisible by 7
The format of b is the same as the format of a i.e. if a = 7n + 3, then b = 7m + 3 since a and b vary by a multiple of 7
e.g. if a = 43 (= 7*6+1), then b could be 22 (= 7*3 + 1). The difference between them has to be a multiple of 7 so the remainder obtained by dividing a by 7 will be the same as the remainder obtained by dividing b by 7.

Using both statements, when you sum a and b, you get,
a+b = 7n+1 + 7m+1 = 7(n+m) + 2
or
a+b = 7n+2 + 7m+2 = 7(n+m) + 4
or
a+b = 7n+3 + 7m+3 = 7(n+m) + 6
etc
I hope you see that the remainder will be some even number (either 2 or 4 or 6 or 8 or 10 or 12). The remainder will never be 7 so the sum will never be a multiple of 7.

[highlight]What happens if we replace 7 by 6?[/highlight]
Same logic.
a+b = 6n+1 + 6m+1 = 6(n+m) + 2
or
a+b = 6n+2 + 6m+2 = 6(n+m) + 4
or
a+b = 6n+3 + 6m+3 = 6(n+m) + 6
Let me stop here. Did you see something interesting? The remainder in the last case is 6 which means a+b is divisible by 6. In some cases, a+b will not be divisible by 6 and in some cases, it will be.
[highlight]Hence your answer will be (E).[/highlight]

Karishma, can you please check your answer since OA is C not E.
and i am also getting C as answer.

Please note that the answer to the original question is (C) as highlighted above. Later, I changed the question (6 in place of 7) and that's when you get the answer (E).
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Is the sum of integers a and b divisible by 7? [#permalink]
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Is the sum of integers a and b divisible by 7? [#permalink]
Moderator:
Math Expert
92912 posts