Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:56 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [3]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1207 [0]
Given Kudos: 114
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Concentration: General Management
GMAT Date: 11-15-2011
GPA: 3.33
Send PM
Re: 740 Q50 V40 6.0 [#permalink]
thats an amazing score!!!! goood job!!!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
sandeeepsharma wrote:
hey congrates for the big score
could you please share your verbal strategy?
What was your accuracy in verbal (SC , cr rc ) to score V40?

I'm probably not the best person to ask for verbal because 40 isn't a great score. I was scoring 42/43 on verbals for my practice tests and basically receded on the actual. That said, I will tell you what I did, but I found some far better advice on this forum than what I will give you.

On my practice tests, I was perfect on RC and get 3-4 questions wrong each on the CR and SC. I think RC is the low hanging fruit, the answers are given to you and you just need to find it efficiently. CR and SC are harder because there is a GMAT way of thinking for creating arguments on the CR and there are too many idioms possible for the SC.

My approach for RC basically mirrors that from the MGMAT books. Make a skeleton diagram for the passage as you are reading the passage. The point of the diagram is to gain an understanding of the passage as a whole and the points of the individual paragraphs as you are reading it, not to create notes for you to look back on. So the first paragraph, you should jot a note about every sentence. This is the head. For the subsequent paragraphs, you should just jot a note about the topic sentence and any twists or surprises that pop up. This is the rest of the skeleton.

Then when I read the question, I looked for all the obviously wrong answers first and eliminate those based on what I remember from jotting down in the skeleton. That usually gives me two-three choices left, then I will go back into the passage and justify any answer choices with specific evidence before making my final decision. The key is justifying with evidence. It has to be a slam dunk case that will hold up in court. Any word that opens possibilities will likely be a wrong answer.

For CR, I outline the argument posed in the question by jotting down notes of the premises in the argument and drawing arrows according to how the argument is structured. I also identify the conclusion and circle/underline it. That helps me see the flow of the argument logically. Then again I looked for obviously wrong answers and eliminate those (ie. the irrelevant ones). Then I look at the remaining choices and try to figure out which is more relevant to the conclusion. Sometimes I just get lucky.

SC is my weakest point. I look at the answer choices for patterns, typically there are three variations that appear in the five answer choices. Then I decide which of the variations is wrong, and eliminate all the answer choices with that. Then work on the next variation, and the next until you are left with one answer. Sometimes if you can't decide between two or three, then just guess and move on.

You should definitely look at some of the best GMAT stories for more tips. I would post the link, but I don't have five posts yet. :P
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Own Kudos [?]: 1123 [0]
Given Kudos: 432
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Congrats on the excellent score and great debrief! Prospective test takers should particularly focus on your strategies section.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37309 posts