Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 09:47 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 09:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: Sub 505 Levelx   Idioms/Diction/Redundancyx   Parallelismx                              
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: UWC
Own Kudos [?]: 8798 [134]
Given Kudos: 100
GMAT 1: 620 Q42 V33
GMAT 2: 680 Q44 V38
GPA: 3.43
WE:Engineering (Entertainment and Sports)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [60]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [2]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 182 [4]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.69
WE:Analyst (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Re: Most efforts to combat such mosquito-borne diseases like malaria and [#permalink]
Kudos
macjas wrote:
Most efforts to combat such mosquito-borne diseases like malaria and dengue have focused either on the vaccination of humans or on exterminating mosquitoes with pesticides.

A and dengue have focused either on the vaccination of humans or on exterminating
Incorrect: "vaccination" and "exterminating" are not parallel

B like malaria and dengue have focused either on vaccinating of humans or on the extermination of
Incorrect: "vaccinating" and "extermination" are not parallel. Also, I think the proper idiomatic phrase is "such . . . as" as opposed to "such . . . like"

C as malaria and dengue have focused on either vaccinating humans or on exterminating
Incorrect: the "on" before exterminating is kind of wordy because "on either" implies that the "on" carries over to both "vaccinating" and "exterminating"

D as malaria and dengue have focused on either vaccinating of humans or on extermination of
Incorrect: "vaccinating" and "extermination" are not parallel

E as malaria and dengue have focused on either vaccinating humans or exterminating

Correct: Proper idiomatic phrase is used "such . . .as", and "vaccinating" and "exterminating" are parallel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8798 [0]
Send PM
Re: Most efforts to combat such mosquito-borne diseases like malaria and [#permalink]
I narrowed it down between D and E due to the idiomatic use of such x as Y and proper parallel structures

then I chose E because I know the GMAT prefers active over passive voice.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
As an addendum to my earlier posting, let may say that all the five choices in the context are active voice sentences; so the use of active versus passive voice is not tested here. In addition, Choice C, D and E use the template: such as x and y and not such x as y
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
so then what is the grammatical distinction, if any, between the structures:

vaccinating of humans
vaccinating humans?

I'm guessing vaccinating humans would be preferred if all else equal?

also is it just me, or does the SC section seem to have a LOT of parallel error type questions?? Even questions with other errors seem to contain parallel errors along with some other error eg. parallel errors + verb tense
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [3]
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Merely saying vaccinating may mislead. Used as an adjectival phrase, vaccinating humans may refer to those humans who do the job of vaccination. Vaccinating is a present participle and not a gerund in that instance. However, vaccinating of humans is out and out a gerund. That is why for use as a gerund, we may add the preposition of to be sure

Parallelism error is one of the most used aspects of sentence structure at least in GMAT. Although purely singular errors such as lack of parallelism alone may appear rarely in GMAT, the normal practice often is to cobble two or three errors together, of which parallelism will be one either as the primary error or as a secondary error.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
So to take this further, simple and complex gerunds cannot be parallel and if we change vaccinating humans to:
I am vaccinating humans now then it turns into a simple gerund if vaccinating humans modifies a noun. Gotchya.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
I am vaccinating is not used in the sense of gerund which i a noun. Because of the addition of am to the present participle vaccinating, I am vaccinating turns into a present progressive, which is a verb.

If you have any further doubts, you may perhaps like to read some good guide on the verbals namely present and past participles, gerunds and infinitives – may be MGMAT’S SC guide.
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51447 [4]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Concept tested: Idioms, Special construction
Difficulty: 650
Illustration: Proper idiomatic construction rules say that
1. Such as is preferred to like
2. Either X or Y is the correct idiomatic structure provided X and Y are parallel.
Using 1, we can A and B are eliminated
Using 2, we can eliminate C and D
E is the correct answer
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 162 [4]
Given Kudos: 48
Concentration: MBA - Strategy, Operations & General Management
 Q44  V28 GMAT 2: 650  Q49  V29 GMAT 3: 650  Q47  V33
WE 1: Oil and Gas - Engineering & Construction
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
souvik101990 wrote:
Most efforts to combat such mosquito-borne diseases like malaria and dengue have focused either on the vaccination of humans or on exterminating mosquitoes with pesticides.

A like malaria and dengue have focused either on the vaccination of humans or on exterminating
B like malaria and dengue have focused either on vaccinating of humans or on the extermination of
C as malaria and dengue have focused on either vaccinating humans or on exterminating
D as malaria and dengue have focused on either vaccinating of humans or on extermination of
E as malaria and dengue have focused on either vaccinating humans or exterminating

In GMAT English "such as" is to be used always to present a list, not "like".
Hence (A) and (B) incorrect.

Secondly -Correct usage of Either "X" or "Y" - X and Y should be in same form

C and D put incorrect "on" before exterminating.

Hence
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: SAE
Own Kudos [?]: 961 [2]
Given Kudos: 269
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.5
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos
+1E

On either…or is correct
Either on…or on…..is also correct (I suppose)
On either…or on is not correct, eliminate C and D

Like presents comparison
As presents examples, eliminate A and B

:-D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance, Operations
Send PM
Bookmarks
Hey folks!
I have a simple question on which I, as a non-native speaker, am having some difficulties.
We all know that according to parallelism, all parallel clauses should begin with the same preposition or relative clause, but I have seen so many confusing structures, I had to ask this question:

Consider the following sentence:
I lost my final paper, to which I have spent great effort and a great sum of money. (Disregard the meaning since I couldn't come up with a scenario :P )

As the meaning is clear here we opted to not repeat "to which". But when should one repeat the clause or the preposition?
I was also going the ask the 138th SC from OG13, but I figured it out, so I'll be glad if you could reaffirm me:

A and dengue have focused either on the vaccination of humans or on exterminating

Since the paralellism should be between two clauses of either.... and or.... the OA is E. But what if C was something like "as malaria and dengue have focused on either vaccinating humans or exterminating" (without the 2nd "on")
Would that be also true?

I know I could have been clearer with the question I asked, but I think the experts here will understand what I mean.
I gladly await your response in my final day before the GMAT :D

Thanks in advance,
Cinar
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [2]
Send PM
Kudos