Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 08:52 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 427 [27]
Given Kudos: 61
Concentration: Leadership, Entrepreneurship
Schools: NUS '15
GPA: 2.92
WE:Analyst (Computer Software)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 131 [5]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.07
Send PM
General Discussion
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [4]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [4]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Re: For years, the Ptolemaic view of a geocentric universe [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
@santivilla: Let us look at this

Before its independence in 1947, Britain ruled India as a colony and they would relinquish power only after a long struggle by the native people.

A. Before its independence in 1947, Britain ruled India as a colony and they would relinquish power

B. Before independence in 1947, Britain had ruled India as a colony and relinquished power

C. Before its independence in 1947, India was ruled by Britain as a colony and they relinquished power

D. Before independence in 1947, India had been ruled as a colony by Britain, which relinquished power

E. Before independence in 1947, India had been a colony of the British, who relinquished power

Here the timeline is clear with the use of the time marker ‘before’. Still the official answer is E, which uses the past perfect. As per your claim. the answer should be either A or C, both of which do not use the past perfect, but simple past.

To quote MGMAT’s spokesperson trying to justify the use of past perfect:

Quote:
Also, for that before/after rule. It's not saying that you cannot have past perfect - only that it's not required any more. Typically, if the meaning of the sentence is "this one thing happened RIGHT before this other thing - very close in time" then I don't generally use past perfect. If they are still widely separated, though, then I may use it.

ManhattanGMAT

So, What would you take now?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 131 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.07
Send PM
@daagh:
thanks for the explanation. Its all clear now.
cheers
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
Concentration: Technology, General Management
Schools: ISB '18
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
The answer is A due to the following rule :-

With phrases like Since , in the last minutes , For centuries , In the last decade where all these are used as a time line we use
Present Prefect tense .

SO had ...

Source : Manhattan SC
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 523 [1]
Given Kudos: 916
Send PM
Kudos
both a and b are correct.
if there is time word which show the sequence we can use either did or had done.

gmat never test us to choose between a and b
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 435 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
easily A .. only this choice has the past perfect.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Given Kudos: 110
Schools: Duke '20 (D)
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V27
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
I was under the assumption that if 'before' is used, 'had' is not necessary?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V34
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Past and Past perfect tense.
Only answer A complies.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 254
Send PM
Though Daagh has given an explanation for the use of past perfect over Simple past, I am still not clear about the rule to be followed. I choose B, because use of 'before' did not necessitate the use of past perfect. I had seen a similar question in the past where it was clearly mentioned that if the use of simple past over past perfect does not change the meaning, and if words like before , since etc (which indicate precedence) are used, then one should avoid past perfect.

Can someone help and provide a clarity?

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [0]
Given Kudos: 80
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Schools: IIMB
GMAT 1: 580 Q48 V22
GPA: 3.7
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Expert, I am not sure if this is an official question.

A use past perfect tense and B use simple past tense. But the word "before" correctly points the time sequence.
Option A and B, both are same from the tense prospective. With the real GMAT test this conflict?

Also..

rohitkumar77 wrote:

With phrases like Since , in the last minutes , For centuries , In the last decade where all these are used as a time line we use
Present Prefect tense .

SO had ...

Is this correct???
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Expert Reply
RMD007 wrote:
Expert, I am not sure if this is an official question.

A use past perfect tense and B use simple past tense. But the word "before" correctly points the time sequence.
Option A and B, both are same from the tense prospective. With the real GMAT test this conflict?

Also..

rohitkumar77 wrote:

Present Prefect tense .

SO had ...

Is this correct???

In my opinion, option B is better because of the use of "before".

The first part is correct - "since" requires present perfect. However I do not see any connection of this concept to this question: there is no "since" and the tense is not present perfect.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
WE:Operations (Manufacturing)
Send PM
GMATNinja

why is B wrong? why is there the need to use the past perfect tense? the word "before" signals that plotemaic happened before copernican. do we still need to use the past perfect redundantly?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 350
Send PM
shenwenlim wrote:
GMATNinja

why is B wrong? why is there the need to use the past perfect tense? the word "before" signals that plotemaic happened before copernican. do we still need to use the past perfect redundantly?

After reading the answers, my question exactly..

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
daagh wrote:

Before its independence in 1947, Britain ruled India as a colony and they would relinquish power only after a long struggle by the native people.

A. Before its independence in 1947, Britain ruled India as a colony and they would relinquish power

B. Before independence in 1947, Britain had ruled India as a colony and relinquished power

C. Before its independence in 1947, India was ruled by Britain as a colony and they relinquished power

D. Before independence in 1947, India had been ruled as a colony by Britain, which relinquished power

E. Before independence in 1947, India had been a colony of the British, who relinquished power

Here the timeline is clear with the use of the time marker ‘before’. Still the official answer is E, which uses the past perfect. As per your claim. the answer should be either A or C, both of which do not use the past perfect, but simple past.

Quote:
Also, for that before/after rule. It's not saying that you cannot have past perfect - only that it's not required any more. Typically, if the meaning of the sentence is "this one thing happened RIGHT before this other thing - very close in time" then I don't generally use past perfect. If they are still widely separated, though, then I may use it.

ManhattanGMAT

I think that the answer is E for other reasons, and not the past perfect verb tenses.
In A, the beginning modifier "Before its independence in 1947" wrongfully modifies Britain. It should be modifying India-> so that is incorrect.
In B, theres the same mistake as A.
In C, the pronoun "they" is incorrect. It does not not agree with the antecedent in number . India and Britain are both singular, thus the correct pronoun should be "it". And even if the answer choice used "it", the meaning would be distorted/ambiguous. So C is incorrect.
In D, "which" is the wrong relative pronoun to used. The preferred pronoun would be "who".
Option E corrects all these errors. So option is correct because it does not have the errors stated in the other option choices, NOT because it uses past perfect tense. As long as there are sequence markers and they are clear, past perfect tense is not required.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Send PM
For years, the Ptolemaic view of a geocentric universe [#permalink]
daagh wrote:

Quote:

ManhattanGMAT

I am sorry, but I will beg to differ here. In your example A and C are incorrect choices because of the pronoun ambiguity ("its" can refer to both India and well as Britain), however, w.r.t the question under consideration, both option A and option B are logically as well as grammatically correct.
Hence the only possible take for me would be to believe GMAT will never test a question like this. In GMAT, as far as I know, all choices except one has to be incorrect on solid reasons. If that is not the case, then may be its good to know GMAT prefers past perfect over simple past even if both options are grammatically correct.
GMAT Club Bot
For years, the Ptolemaic view of a geocentric universe [#permalink]
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts