Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 21:47 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 21:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V50
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28570 [2]
Given Kudos: 130
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Send PM
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
Re: rates/widget problem with sharing - please help!! [#permalink]
can you do it with a plug in method? thanks.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28570 [0]
Given Kudos: 130
Expert Reply
clearmountain wrote:

Andrew

Hmmm. I don't know if that would be much simpler. We need this in terms of y, so we can't really pick a number for y. If we pick a number for x and not for y, the solution is going to be almost identical. If this were a full GMAT problem, with five answer choices in terms of y, then we could pick numbers for x and y, calculate the numerical answer, and plug those same values into the answer choices to see which one matched. If this is a genuine GMAT problem with answer choices, and you provide those answer choices, I can show that numerical approach. In the meantime, you may find the following post helpful.
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/variables- ... -approach/

Mike :-)
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64905 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Expert Reply
clearmountain wrote:
Mike and David are each assigned to produce x identical widgets. Based on their respective rates, Dave calculates that it will take him 5 hours to produce the widgets while Mike calculates that it will take him 2 hours longer than Dave. Dave agrees to make Y of Mikes widgets so that they can each complete the task in the same amount of time. What is the number of widgets, interms of y, that Mike was assigned to make?

Please help!!

Another method that uses fewer variables but needs you to understand the question well:

Dave completes 1 work (i.e. making x widgets) in 5 hrs. Rate of work = 1/5 work/hr
Mike completes 1 work in 7 hrs. Rate of work = 1/7 work/hr

They work for the same amount of time and complete 2 work together. Combined rate of work: 1/5 + 1/7 = 12/35
Time for which each person works = Work/Rate = 2/(12/35) = 35/6 hrs

So, Dave works for a total of 35/6 hrs. He takes 5 hrs to complete his own work and uses rest of the (35/6 - 5) = 5/6 hrs to make y widgets for Mike.
Dave takes 5 hrs to make x widgets and 5/6 hrs to make y widgets hence, y = (1/6)x or x = 6y
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.1
Send PM
Hi Karishma

couldnt understand the last line..
Dave takes 5 hrs to make x widgets and 5/6 hrs to make y widgets hence, y = (1/6)x or x = 6y ...

can you explain how you got y = (1/6)x
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [3]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
clearmountain wrote:

Another way to look at this problem without considering variable is to assume that there are 35 (Instead of X) widgets to be completed by each.

Why 35??( B'coz 35 being LCM of 5, & 7; 35 will be easily divisible by both 5, & 7)

It means Dave's rate is 7 widgets/hr.(35/7), while Mike's rate is 5 widgets/hr.(35/7).

In 5 hrs. Dave will finish his total 35 widgets, while Mike will be left with 10 more widgets to be completed. (He will complete only 25 widgets).

These remaining 10 widgets will be completed by Dave, & mike together.

As Dave's speed is more than Mike, hence remaining 10 widgets load will be distributed in the ratio of 1/5:1/7. This will yield Dave's additional widgets load equals 10*(7/12) = 70/12. In question variable terms, it is y.

As stated here X= 35, & Y is 70/12. So X/Y = 35/(70/12) = 6, or X = 6Y.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64905 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Expert Reply
madhavgmat wrote:
Hi Karishma

couldnt understand the last line..
Dave takes 5 hrs to make x widgets and 5/6 hrs to make y widgets hence, y = (1/6)x or x = 6y ...

can you explain how you got y = (1/6)x

Say, a machine takes 2 hrs to make 100 widgets one after another (not parallel work). How many will it make in 1 hr? I am sure you will say 50 widgets.
Now think, a machine takes 2 hrs to make x widgets. It takes 1 hr to make y widgets. Can I say x = 2y? Sure! x must be double of y.
Similarly, if x widgets are made in 5 hrs and y are made in 5/6 hrs, y must be 1/6 of x. Therefore, y = x/6 or x = 6y.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.1
Send PM
Thanks a lot karishma for your explanation.....really upset with myself that simple things don't get into my head sometimes.

By the way, I did like ShalabhsQuants method (plugging values) to solve this problem.
GMAT Club Bot