Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 13:52 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 13:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6617 [360]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 4562 [160]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 131 [41]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.8
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [3]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: Along the major rivers that traverse the deserts of northeast Africa [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
betterscore wrote:
Along the major rivers that traverse the deserts of northeast Africa, the Middle East, and northwest India, the combination of a reliable supply of water and good growing conditions both encouraged farming traditions that, in places, endure in at least 6,000 years.

(A) good growing conditions both encouraged farming traditions that, in places, endure in

(B) good growing conditions encouraged farming traditions that have, in places, endured for

(C) of good growing conditions have encouraged farming traditions that, in places, endured for

(D) of good growing conditions both encouraged farming traditions that have, in places, endured

(E) of good growing conditions encouraged farming traditions that have, in places, been enduring for

Meaning is crucial to solving this problem:
Understanding the intended meaning is key to solving this question; the intended core meaning of this sentence is that the combination of a reliable supply of water and good growing conditions encouraged farming traditions that have endured for at least 6,000 years.

Concepts tested here: Meaning + Tenses + Awkwardness/Redundancy

• The present perfect tense (marked by the use of the helping verb “has/have”) is used to describe events that concluded in the past but continue to affect the present.
• The simple past tense is used to refer to events that concluded in the past.
• The present perfect continuous tense (marked by "has/have been") is the correct tense to refer to actions that started in past and continue into the present.

A: This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "endure in at least 6,000 years"; the construction of this phrase leads to an incoherent meaning; the intended meaning is that the farming traditions in question have endured for at least 6,000 years. Further, Option A redundantly uses "combination" alongside "both"; this usage is redundant, as both terms convey the same information.

B: Correct. This answer choice uses the phrase "endured for at least 6,000 years", conveying the intended meaning - that the farming traditions in question have endured for at least 6,000 years. Further, Option B correctly uses the simple past tense verb "encouraged" to refer to an event that concluded in the past. Moreover, Option B correctly uses the present perfect tense verb "have...endured" to refer to an action that concluded in the past but continues to affect the present. Besides, Option B is free of any awkwardness or redundancy.

C: Trap. This answer choice incorrectly uses the present perfect tense verb "have encouraged" to refer to an action that concluded in the past; please remember, the simple past tense is used to refer to events that concluded in the past, and the present perfect tense (marked by the use of the helping verb “has/have”) is used to describe events that concluded in the past but continue to affect the present. Further, Option C incorrectly uses the simple past tense verb "endured" to refer to an action that concluded in the past but continues to affect the present; please remember, the present perfect tense (marked by the use of the helping verb “has/have”) is used to describe events that concluded in the past but continue to affect the present, and the simple past tense is used to refer to events that concluded in the past. Additionally, Option C uses the needlessly wordy phrase "of good growing conditions", leading to awkwardness and redundancy; this usage is redundant, as "of" can be deleted without a loss of clarity.

D: This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "endured at least 6,000 years"; the construction of this phrase leads to an incoherent meaning; the intended meaning is that the farming traditions in question have endured for at least 6,000 years. Further, Option D redundantly uses "combination" alongside "both"; this usage is redundant, as both terms convey the same information. Moreover, Option D uses the needlessly wordy phrase "of good growing conditions", leading to further awkwardness and redundancy; this usage is redundant, as "of" can be deleted without a loss of clarity.

E: This answer choice incorrectly uses the present perfect continuous tense verb "have been enduring" to refer to an action that concluded in the past but continues to affect the present; please remember, the present perfect tense (marked by the use of the helping verb “has/have”) is used to describe events that concluded in the past but continue to affect the present, and the present perfect continuous tense (marked by "has/have been") is the correct tense to refer to actions that started in past and continue into the present. Further, Option E uses the needlessly wordy phrase "of good growing conditions", leading to awkwardness and redundancy; this usage is redundant, as "of" can be deleted without a loss of clarity.

Hence, B is the best answer choice.

To understand the concept of "Simple Tenses" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~1 minute):

To understand the concept of "Present Perfect Tense" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~2 minutes):

To understand the concept of "Present Perfect Continuous Tense" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~1 minute):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 135 [11]
Given Kudos: 401
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools: EMLYON FT'16
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V32
GPA: 3.44
Send PM
Re: Along the major rivers that traverse the deserts of northeast Africa [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
betterscore wrote:
Along the major rivers that traverse the deserts of
northeast Africa, the Middle East, and northwest
India, the combination of a reliable supply of water
and good growing conditions both encouraged
farming traditions that, in places, endure in
at least
6,000 years.

(A) good growing conditions both encouraged

(B) good growing conditions encouraged farming
traditions that have, in places, endured for

(C) of good growing conditions have encouraged
farming traditions that, in places, endured for

(D) of good growing conditions both encouraged
farming traditions that have, in places, endured

(E) of good growing conditions encouraged farming
traditions that have, in places, been enduring
for

Answer B!

I think the main explanations are given in the first posts.

The trick here is to see that you need: "the combination of X and Y". if you cannot find out this type of idiom look closer at the meaning of the sentence.

Here, there is a combination of two things, so you need a reliable supply of water and something parallel with it (Ex: I need a combination of vodka and of red bull to enjoy my stay => does not make sense. You need to have a combination of vodka and redbull to enjoy your stay!) . The only answer right is B!

Hope it helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Accounting, Finance
GPA: 3.58
Send PM
I don't have any problem of choosing the correct answer. What confuses me is the that following traditions. It seems that the sentence perfectly works without a that. So why you put a that here in every selections?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1588 [12]
Given Kudos: 56
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
ydanyang wrote:
I don't have any problem of choosing the correct answer. What confuses me is the that following traditions. It seems that the sentence perfectly works without a that. So why you put a that here in every selections?

For convenience, I am striking out the modifiers and prep. phrases.

Along the major rivers that traverse the deserts of northeast Africa, the Middle East, and northwest India, the combination of a reliable supply of water and good growing conditions encouraged farming traditions that have, in places, endured for at least 6,000 years.

The subject and verb are as indicated above.

Suppose you remove that, you have a run-on sentence as follows.

The combination of X and Y encouraged farming traditions thathave endured for at least 6000 years.

Subject - verb - object - verb again

Clearly, the above construction is wrong. To correct the same, we either split the sentence using a conjunction or a relative pronoun (which becomes the subject for the relative pronoun clause) and thus avoiding run-on.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7626 [7]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
ydanyang wrote:

... the combination of (a reliable supply of water) and (good growing conditions) encouraged farming traditions that have, in places, endured for at least 6,000 years.

we can split this sentence into two parts:
If we remove that, we get-

the combination of X and Y encouraged farming traditions have endured for at least...

the combination- encouraged- traditions- have endured

Subject- verb- object/ subject- verb

Combination- subject case (subject of the verb encouraged)
however
farming tradition (FT) is in subject and object case both
object of the verb - encouraged
subject of the verb- have endured

Combination encouraged FT have endured ... This construction is flawed.

Hence "that" is required.

Combination encouraged FT that have endured...

Combination encouraged FT
(FT) that have endured... "that" is the subject of the verb "have endured"

we can also split the sentence and see this-

1) the combination of X and Y encouraged farming traditions.
2) these traditions have endured for at least 6000 years

"That" is used to connect these two sentences. We can not do without a connector here.

Let's take another example:

I have bought a new phone. Phonehas awesome features.
I have bought a new phonethat has awesome features.

Hope this helps!
Dolly Sharma
Verbal Trainer
CrackVerbal
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 153 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Leadership
GPA: 3.97
Send PM
ChrisLele wrote:
You have a combination of X and Y, not of X and of Y, so you can get rid of (C), (D), and (E). A 'combination of' implies two things. Therefore, 'both' is redundant. And just like that answer (B). Also of note, we want the present perfect construction, 'have endured at least 6,000 years' because the action is still ongoing.

(C) of good growing conditions have encouraged

Is it correct to assume that the "farming traditions" are still ongoing - to justify usage of "have".

My questions is - can we justify the usage of "have" by this rule - "When we are talking now in the present – about something in the past - we use Present Perfect. "
e.g. They seem to have developed this habit before their extinction 600 years ago.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [3]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
sa2222 wrote:
Is it correct to assume that the "farming traditions" are still ongoing - to justify usage of "have".

Yes, from the context, it should be quite evident that farming traditions are still ongoing.

sa2222 wrote:
My questions is - can we justify the usage of "have" by this rule - "When we are talking now in the present – about something in the past - we use Present Perfect. "
e.g. They seem to have developed this habit before their extinction 600 years ago.

What you are talking about is a specific usage of present perfect. For example:

My friends have watched the movie.

This clearly means that the act of watching the movie is finished at some unspecified time in the past.

However, there is another usage of present perfect. That usage depicts that something started in the past, and has continued up to the present time. For example:

My parents have owned a car for more than ten years now.

Here, there is no reason to believe that my parents don't own the car now. The sentence under consideration, falls in this category.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses present perfect tense, its application and examples in significant detail. If you can PM you email-id, I can send you the corresponding section.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
anujag24 wrote:
If the choices were as below :

(A) good growing conditions both encouraged

(B) good growing conditions encouraged farming
traditions that have, in places, endured for

(C) good growing conditions have encouraged

(D) good growing conditions both encouraged
farming traditions that have, in places, endured

(E) good growing conditions encouraged farming
traditions that have, in places, been enduring
for

How to eliminate C and D now? Please help!

Hi! both are incorrect.

C: Clearly good growing conditions encouraged farming traditions in the past (from the context of the sentence, this happened 6000 years ago). So, simple past encouraged should be used, not present perfect have encouraged.

D: At the very least, both is redundant, since we already have combination.

Originally posted by EducationAisle on 20 Sep 2014, 07:28.
Last edited by EducationAisle on 23 Sep 2014, 04:39, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [1]
Given Kudos: 75
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V37
GRE 1: Q750 V600
GPA: 3.26
Send PM