Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:07 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Poor Qualityx      
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16650 [8]
Given Kudos: 217
Concentration: International Business, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V45
GPA: 2.9
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 127 [7]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9242 [5]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 127 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Re: If sets X and Y have an equal number of elements, does set X have a [#permalink]
That said, i agree with IanStewart completely. I had to make a lot of assumptions to arrive at this answer. Should not be the case with the actual test. This question is very ambigous and can be answered in many ways with different Options.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16650 [1]
Given Kudos: 217
Concentration: International Business, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V45
GPA: 2.9
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: If sets X and Y have an equal number of elements, does set X have a [#permalink]
Bookmarks
I agree with you all. Ivy is the name of the book that I am following and some questions are really vague. My apologies.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 216 [1]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
Bookmarks
If sets X and Y have an equal number of elements, does set X have a greater standard deviation than set Y?

(1) The difference between each pair of the neighboring elements is consistent throughout each set;
(2) Each of the first two elements in Set Y is twice greater than the corresponding first and second elements in Set X.

Solution

Solution:

1) We are told that both sets are arithmetic progressions. Although both sets X and Y have the same number of elements, a very important fact, the statement neither specifies the distributions of the arithmetic sequence for each of the sets NOR a relationship between how the arthimetic progression between the two sets relate. Either would have done. Ex.

X={2,4,6,8,10} A.P. with spacing of 2
Y={5,10,15,20,25} A.P with spacing of 5.

In this case Y has a higher standard deviation(large spacing) than X. The reverse could be flipped:

X={6,12,18,24,30} A.P. with spacing of 6
Y={5,10,15,20,25} A.P with spacing of 5.

In this case X has a higher standard deviation(large spacing) than Y.

2) Doesn't tell us how the numbers after the first two terms play out. Ex:

X={3,7,10000}
Y={6,14,20}

X has the larger SD in this example.

X={3,7,5}
Y={6,14,2000}

Y has the larger SD in this example.

Hence INSUFF

(1) & (2)

AP for both sets and Y doubles the first two elements of X.

X={a,a+2,a+4,.....} spacing of 2
Y={2a,2a+4,2a+6....} spacing of 4 imposed on all the numbers since we have an A.P.

Notice we now have a relationship between the two sets. The spacing for Y is double that of X. Hence SUFF.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618866 [2]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
The wording of this question is quite ambiguous and non-GMAT like:

1. Sets are not ordered by definition. So, "the first two elements in Set" doesn't make any sense.
2. "Twice greater" and "consistent throughout each set" is not the wording you'll see on the GMAT.

So, I wouldn't worry about this question at all.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 216 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
The wording of this question is quite ambiguous and non-GMAT like:

1. Sets are not ordered by definition. So, "the first two elements in Set" doesn't make any sense.
2. "Twice greater" and "consistent throughout each set" is not the wording you'll see on the GMAT.

So, I wouldn't worry about this question at all.

Your absolutly right! That slipped my mind. Nonetheless the writer of the questions intent was that the set is sequntielly ordered. If that were the case the answer would be (C)

This Question is Locked Due to Poor Quality
Hi there,
The question you've reached has been archived due to not meeting our community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Looking for better-quality questions? Check out the 'Similar Questions' block below for a list of similar but high-quality questions.
Want to join other relevant Problem Solving discussions? Visit our Data Sufficiency (DS) Forum for the most recent and top-quality discussions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92900 posts