Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 21:17 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 21:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6618 [174]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 4562 [53]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63658 [35]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [2]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: Elizabeth Barber, the author of both Prehistoric Textiles, a comprehen [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
betterscore wrote:
Elizabeth Barber, the author of both Prehistoric Textiles, a comprehensive work on cloth in the early cultures of the Mediterranean, and also of Women's Work, a more general account of early cloth manufacture, is an expert authority on textiles in ancient societies.

(A) also of Women's Work, a more general account of early cloth manufacture, is an expert authority on

(B) also Women's Work, a more general account of cloth manufacture, is an expert authority about

(C) of Women's Work, a more general account about early cloth manufacture, is an authority on

(D) of Women's Work, a more general account about early cloth manufacture, is an expert authority about

(E) Women's Work, a more general account of early cloth manufacture, is an authority on

Concepts tested here: Idioms + Parallelism + Awkwardness/Redundancy

• “both A and B" or "A as well as B" are the correct usages; A and B must be parallel and comparable.
• The correct idiomatic construction is "authority on A".
• The correct idiomatic construction is "account of A".

A: This answer choice fails to maintain parallelism between A and B in the idiomatic construction "both A ("Prehistoric Textiles") and B("of Women's Work")"; please remember, "both A and B" is the correct idiomatic construction; A and B must parallel and comparable. Further, Option A uses the needlessly wordy phrase "and also", leading to awkwardness and redundancy.

B: This answer choice incorrectly uses the unidiomatic construction "authority about A"; please remember, the correct idiomatic construction is "authority on A". Further, Option B uses the needlessly wordy phrases "and also" and "expert authority", leading to awkwardness and redundancy.

C: This answer choice fails to maintain parallelism between A and B in the idiomatic construction "both A ("Prehistoric Textiles") and B("of Women's Work")"; please remember, "both A and B" is the correct idiomatic construction; A and B must parallel and comparable. Further, Option C incorrectly uses the unidiomatic construction "account about A"; please remember, the correct idiomatic construction is "account of A".

D: This answer choice fails to maintain parallelism between A and B in the idiomatic construction "both A ("Prehistoric Textiles") and B("of Women's Work")"; please remember, "both A and B" is the correct idiomatic construction; A and B must parallel and comparable. Further, Option D incorrectly uses the unidiomatic construction "account about A"; please remember, the correct idiomatic construction is "account of A". Additionally, Option D incorrectly uses the unidiomatic construction "authority about A"; please remember, the correct idiomatic construction is "authority on A". Besides, Option D uses the needlessly wordy phrase "expert authority", leading to awkwardness and redundancy.

E: Correct. This answer choice correctly maintains parallelism between A and B in the idiomatic construction "both A ("Prehistoric Textiles") and B ("Women's Work")". Further, Option E correctly uses the idiomatic constructions "account of A" and "authority on A". Besides, Option E is free of any awkwardness or redundancy.

Hence, E is the best answer choice.

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 428 [2]
Given Kudos: 331
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 3.76
Send PM
Re: Elizabeth Barber, the author of both Prehistoric Textiles, a comprehen [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Okay remember this rule
"Of Both X and Y" is always correct...E is right
"Of Both X and Of Y" is wrong so C and D are out
"Of both X and Also Y" is always wrong so A is out
"of both X and also of Y" is always wrong so B is out
betterscore wrote:
Elizabeth Barber, the author of both Prehistoric Textiles, a comprehensive work on cloth in the early cultures of the Mediterranean, and also of Women's Work, a more general account of early cloth manufacture, is an expert authority on textiles in ancient societies.

(A) also of Women's Work, a more general account of early cloth manufacture, is an expert authority on

(B) also Women's Work, a more general account of cloth manufacture, is an expert authority about

(C) of Women's Work, a more general account about early cloth manufacture, is an authority on

(D) of Women's Work, a more general account about early cloth manufacture, is an expert authority about

(E) Women's Work, a more general account of early cloth manufacture, is an authority on
betterscore wrote:

Hi,
As far I know, there must be at least 3 things if we want to use comma (,) before the final 'and'. But, in this question, there are just 2 things in the list (e.g., Prehistoric Textiles and Women's Work)-"a comprehensive work on cloth in the early cultures of the Mediterranean" and " a more general account of early cloth manufacture" are not the things that make list; they are just modifier. So, my question is WHY we've used comma (,) before the final 'and'?
Thanks...
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [2]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
iMyself wrote:
As far I know, there must be at least 3 things if we want to use comma (,) before the final 'and'. But, in this question, there are just 2 things in the list (e.g., Prehistoric Textiles and Women's Work)-"a comprehensive work on cloth in the early cultures of the Mediterranean" and " a more general account of early cloth manufacture" are not the things that make list; they are just modifier. So, my question is WHY we've used comma (,) before the final 'and'?
Thanks...

Hi iMyself, the comma is not before the and'; it is after the Mediterranean :) .

a comprehensive work on cloth in the early cultures of the Mediterranean is an appositive modifier, modifying Prehistoric Textiles. Since the appositive starts with a comma, it should end with a comma (unless the sentence itself is ending).

Let's take a simpler example:

Samuel owns "Mercedes", a swanky car, and "Sentra", a common man's car.

Again, the comma is not before the and'; it is after the car .

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses Appositive Modifiers, its application and examples in significant detail. If someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.
EducationAisle wrote:
iMyself wrote:
Thanks...

Hi iMyself, the comma is not before the and'; it is after the Mediterranean :) .

a comprehensive work on cloth in the early cultures of the Mediterranean is an appositive modifier, modifying Prehistoric Textiles. Since the appositive starts with a comma, it should end with a comma (unless the sentence itself is ending).

Let's take a simpler example:

Samuel owns "Mercedes", a swanky car, and "Sentra", a common man's car.

Again, the comma is not before the and'; it is after the car .

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses Appositive Modifiers, its application and examples in significant detail. If someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.

That means, if we need to remove any appositive, then we should remove both comma (e.g., before and after comma of modifier), right? Then the remaining will be: Samuel owns "Mercedes"and "Sentra". This one is the perfect sentence.
if I say:
Samuel owns "Mercedes", a swanky car, destroyed by EducationAisle, and "Sentra", a common man's car.
here, ' a swanky car' modifying 'Mercedes' and 'EducationAisle' modifying 'a swanky car'. Now, if we want to remove modifier form the sentence then the remaining will be: Samuel owns "Mercedes", a swanky car and "Sentra", a common man's car. Is the sentence legitimate?
Thanks...
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi iMyself, not sure I understood the modified sentence you suggested, but let's take another example:

Samuel owns "Mercedes", a swanky car, "Sentra", a common man's car, and "Bentley", a pricey car.

Here, if you remove the appositives (along with the associated delimiting commas), then the sentence would be:

Samuel owns "Mercedes", "Sentra" and "Bentley".

Now one might argue that there are three elements, but no comma before and. So, in this case, think about it this way: since there were three elements + an appositive, there was a comma after the appositive and a comma before the and. So, when we remove the appositive, we should still let the comma (before the and) remain there. So, in this case, after removing the appositives (along with the associated delimiting commas), then the sentence would be:

Samuel owns "Mercedes", "Sentra", and "Bentley".

In any case, such presence/absence of a comma is never a deal breaker in an option.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GPA: 2.8
Send PM
souvik101990 wrote:

Verbal Question of The Day: Day 29: Sentence Correction

Subscribe to GMAT Question of the Day: E-mail | RSS
For All QOTD Questions Click Here

Every question of the day will be followed by an expert reply by GMATNinja in 12-15 hours. Stay tuned! Post your answers and explanations to earn kudos.

I misread the positioning of both.
I read it as 'the author both of' instead of 'the author of both'.
However, if the question were as Eliazbeth Barber, the author both of......, would Option C be the better and correct choice? souvik101990
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30782 [0]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Expert Reply
sonikavadhera wrote:
I misread the positioning of both.
I read it as 'the author both of' instead of 'the author of both'.
However, if the question were as Eliazbeth Barber, the author both of......, would Option C be the better and correct choice? souvik101990

Hello sonikavadhera,

I would be glad to help you resolve your doubt. :-)

The expression the author both of is incorrect. The preposition of has to placed after author to clearly convey that certain books have been written by a particular author. The correct expression is author of both X and Y.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1238 [0]
Given Kudos: 1207
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Hi GMATNinja,

just a quick Q: Do expert and authority mean the same in original sentence?

WR,
Arpit
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63658 [4]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
adkikani wrote:
Hi GMATNinja,

WR,
Arpit

Here's my obviously very very hilariously miserably embarrassingly slow answer :oops:: yup, "expert" and "authority" are basically synonyms here, so "expert authority" could be considered redundant. I just paid very little attention to that issue in my explanation, since the parallelism thing is something that you'll see WAY more often on the GMAT in general.

I'm sure that I'm too late to be useful, but I hope this helps anyway!
GMATNinja wrote:
adkikani wrote:
Hi GMATNinja,

WR,
Arpit

Here's my obviously very very hilariously miserably embarrassingly slow answer :oops:: yup, "expert" and "authority" are basically synonyms here, so "expert authority" could be considered redundant. I just paid very little attention to that issue in my explanation, since the parallelism thing is something that you'll see WAY more often on the GMAT in general.

Hi GMATNinja,
I'm bit confused at the red part. In this official sentence, the word expert has been used as adjective and authority has been used as noun. My question is: how two different types of parts of speech can be synonymous each other?
Thanks__
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63658 [0]

Send PM
Expert Reply
AsadAbu wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
adkikani wrote:
Hi GMATNinja,

WR,
Arpit

Hi GMATNinja,
I'm bit confused at the red part. In this official sentence, the word expert has been used as adjective and authority has been used as noun. My question is: how two different types of parts of speech can be synonymous each other?
Thanks__

Technically speaking, a noun and an adjective can't be considered synonyms. But that's not the important part in this case. The bigger issue is that the noun and adjective describe exactly the same characteristic -- so they're redundant.

"Expert," as an adjective, means "possessing expertise." An "authority" is "one who possesses expertise." Technically, I suppose you're right that "expert" and "expertise" aren't synonyms, but one implies the other, so you wouldn't want to use both. We wouldn't write, "Tim is an expert who possesses expertise in the little-known field of mongoose endocrinology," and we also wouldn't write "Tim is an expert authority in the field of mongoose endocrinology." (Note to reader: please do not be alarmed by the mountain of mongoose pellets in Tim's office.)

I hope that helps!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [1]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
A) also of Women's Work, a more general account of early cloth manufacture, is an expert authority on

For those who missed the correlative conjunction parallelism of 'both … and', here is yet another quick fix and you don't have to look at the prompt.

Just kick out A, B, and D for using the redundant expert authority; Dump c for using a wrong idiom 'account about' rather than 'account on'.

Incidentally, the word 'expert' is as much a noun as an adjective, just as 'executive' or 'absolute' is or 'unique' is in rare cases.
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 14673 [7]
Given Kudos: 766
Send PM
Kudos