Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 10:31 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 10:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 724 [8]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 566 [1]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: N.C.C.
Own Kudos [?]: 191 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 663 [0]
Given Kudos: 180
Send PM
Re: On Aug 13,1868, the warship U.S.S. Wateree, anchored in the [#permalink]
Experts can anyone help

I am actually mainly confused here on C

X and Y implies that

X happened and at the same time Y happened ? is my understanding correct

So according to C it rode and at the same time came to rest hovv can this be possible

vvhat is vvrong vvith B - please explain

Thanks for your time
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [4]
Given Kudos: 130
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
venmic wrote:
Experts can anyone help
I am actually mainly confused here on C

"X and Y" implies that X happened and at the same time Y happened ? is my understanding correct

So according to C it rode and at the same time came to rest hovv can this be possible

vvhat is vvrong vvith B - please explain
Thanks for your time

Dear venmic

First of all, the word "and" is not an absolute guarantee of complete simultaneity. If you are listing events with "and", it's true these events should be close in time and sequentially connected ----
"he walked up the stairs and opened the door"
"the engine sped to the spot and promptly put the fire out"
"she wrote him a nasty letter and mailed it to him that same afternoon"
In all of these example, the actions are close in time, but not strictly simultaneous. Granted, it would be incorrect to use a simple "and" connection for events that were quite distant in time or completely unrelated, but you are reading far too much into this vvord. "Close in time" is not the same as "100% exactly at the same time."

To say
"the warship U.S.S. Wateree ... rode on the crest of a tsunami and came to rest in the Atacama Desert ..."
is a perfectly correct: clear, logical, and unambiguous. The two events --- riding the wave and then coming to rest --- are near in time (they both happened within 5-10 minutes of each other) and they are definitely sequentially & causally connected. That's 100% correct, which is one of the reasons that (C) is correct.

Let's look at (B)
On Aug 13,1868, the warship U.S.S. Wateree, anchored in the harbor of Arica, off the coast of what is now northern Chile, rode on the crest of a tsunami (seismic sea wave), while it came to rest in the Atacama Desert, some three miles up the coast and almost two miles inland from its initial anchorage.
One way to express the problem --- there's a failure of parallelism. The two actions --- riding the crest and coming to rest --- should be in parallel, because they are sequentially & causally connected. Actions that have a clear logical connection should have a clear grammatical connection.
Another way to express the problem --- this choice actually has the problem that you imputed to (C) ----- by using "while' (which means "at the same time"), it implies that the riding of the crest and the coming to rest in the desert were simultaneous, which is illogical and not what the sentence means.
Also, it's just awkward and unnatural --- it "sounds funny", probably because of these reasons.

BTW, the story in this sentence ---this is all true --- this actually happened to the USS Wateree in 1868.

Does all this make sense?

Mike :-)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 68
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Kudos
I chose C.

Parallel: anchored -> rode -> came
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4652 [1]
Given Kudos: 626
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
scubaVC wrote:
I chose C.

We should not look at anchored as being part of the list.

On Aug 13,1868, the warship U.S.S. Wateree, anchored in the harbor of Arica, off the coast of what is now northern Chile, rode on the crest of a tsunami (seismic sea wave) and came to rest in the Atacama Desert, some three miles up the coast and almost two miles inland from its initial anchorage.

Anchored is just a modifier.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
Send PM
AjiteshArun wrote:
scubaVC wrote:
I chose C.

We should not look at anchored as being part of the list.

On Aug 13,1868, the warship U.S.S. Wateree, anchored in the harbor of Arica, off the coast of what is now northern Chile, rode on the crest of a tsunami (seismic sea wave) and came to rest in the Atacama Desert, some three miles up the coast and almost two miles inland from its initial anchorage.

Anchored is just a modifier.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Can someone help with the answer choice explanation (esp E)?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7624 [2]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Kudos
Top Contributor
On Aug 13,1868, the warship U.S.S. Wateree, anchored in the harbor of Arica, off the coast of what is now northern Chile, rode on the crest of a tsunami (seismic sea wave) and coming to rest in the Atacama Desert, it was some three miles up the coast and almost two miles inland from its initial anchorage.

A) rode on the crest of a tsunami (seismic sea wave) and coming to rest in the Atacama Desert, it was The sentence is describing an event in the past, usage of "coming" in the present tense is incorrect. Additionally, "it was" is redundant. Eliminate.

B) rode on the crest of a tsunami (seismic sea wave), while it came to rest in the Atacama Desert, "while" indicates some sort of contrasting transition, which is not reflected in the information in the second half of the sentence. Eliminate.

C) rode on the crest of a tsunami (seismic sea wave) and came to rest in the Atacama Desert, Correct answer. Errors in (A) are removed and no new errors are introduced.

D) riding on the crest of a tsunami (seismic sea wave), to come to rest in the Atacama Desert When describing a past event, usage of "riding" in present continuous tense is incorrect. Eliminate.

E) riding on the crest of a tsunami (seismic sea wave), it had come to rest in the Atacama Desert, which is Same as (D). Eliminate.

Hope this helps.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [0]
Given Kudos: 245
Send PM
A. rode on the crest of a tsunami (seismic sea wave) and coming to rest in the Atacama Desert, it was
(1) breaks parallelism: “…the warship U.S.S. Wateree…rode on the crest…AND coming to rest…”;

B. rode on the crest of a tsunami (seismic sea wave), while it came to rest in the Atacama Desert,
(1) meaning error: the “while” leads you to think that the it rode on the crest of wave WHILE it came to rest in the Desert? Nonsensical

C. rode on the crest of a tsunami (seismic sea wave) and came to rest in the Atacama Desert,
best option

D. riding on the crest of a tsunami (seismic sea wave), to come to rest in the Atacama Desert
(1) incomplete sentence: missing an action verb – there’s only a string of modifiers

E. riding on the crest of a tsunami (seismic sea wave), it had come to rest in the Atacama Desert, which is
(1) verb tense error, leading to meaning error: “…it HAD COME to rest…” – so it rested in the Atacama Desert FIRST then what? Then it was riding on the crest? It’s ambiguous at best; (2) modifier error, leading to meaning error: the which clause basically states the Desert is some three miles up the coast, but it’s the ship (i.e., the warship U.S.S. Wateree) that’s three miles up the coast
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts