Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:44 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5228 [123]
Given Kudos: 136
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1821 [50]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GPA: 3.23
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64900 [44]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 280 [12]
Given Kudos: 20
WE:Marketing (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: Which of the following sets includes ALL of the solutions of [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
the equation has 3 intervals 2, 3 , and 5. i.e 4 segments x<2, 2<x<3, 3<x<5, 5<x.

1) When X>5 none of the brackets will change the sign and hence
(x-2)-(x-3) = (x-5)-------> x=6 ..We accept this solution as it satisfies the equation.

Now since we know x=6 is one of the solution we know the answer could be C or D

2) When 3<x<5 here (x-5) will change the sign
(x-2)-(x-3) = -(x-5) ------>x=4 ..We accept the solution as 3<4<5

We can stop solving here as the only set consisting both 6 and 4 is set C hence correct answer is C
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2136 [8]
Given Kudos: 43
WE:Science (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
imhimanshu wrote:
Which of the following sets includes ALL of the solutions of x that will satisfy the equation: ?

|x-2|-|x-3|=|x-5|

(A) {-6, -5, 0, 1, 7, 8}
(B) {-4, -2, 0, 10/3, 4, 5}
(C) {-4, 0, 1, 4, 5, 6}
(D) {-1, 10/3, 3, 5, 6, 8}
(E) {-2, -1, 1, 3, 4, 5}

Usually, I'm able to solve such questions, however I couldn't solve this one.
Can someone run pass me through using number line approach.

Thanks
H

The given equation can be rewritten as \(|x-2|=|x-3|+|x-5|,\) which means that the distance between \(x\) and \(2\) is the sum of the distances between \(x\) and \(3\) plus the distance between \(x\) and 5.
Using the number line and visualizing the points, we can easily see that \(x\) cannot be smaller than \(3.\)

If \(x>5,\) then \(x-2=x-3+x-5,\) from which \(x=6.\) We have to choose between answers C and D.
If \(3<x<5,\) then \(x-2=x-3-x+5,\) which yields \(x=4.\)

Answer C
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2260 [0]
Given Kudos: 276
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Harvard, Columbia, Stern, Booth, LSB,
Send PM
EvaJager wrote:
imhimanshu wrote:
Which of the following sets includes ALL of the solutions of x that will satisfy the equation: ?

|x-2|-|x-3|=|x-5|

(A) {-6, -5, 0, 1, 7, 8}
(C) {-4, 0, 1, 4, 5, 6}
(E) {-2, -1, 1, 3, 4, 5}

Thanks
H

The given equation can be rewritten as \(|x-2|=|x-3|+|x-5|,\) which means that the distance between \(x\) and \(2\) is the sum of the distances between \(x\) and \(3\) plus the distance between \(x\) and 5.
Using the number line and visualizing the points, we can easily see that \(x\) cannot be smaller than \(3.\)

If \(x>5,\) then \(x-2=x-3+x-5,\) from which \(x=6.\) We have to choose between answers C and D.

Answer C

Hi Eva,

If i am not wrong then x will take any value which can satisfy this modulus equation |x-2|-|x-3|=|x-5| i.e. LHS = RHS
Now if take x=5 (as 5 is one of the value of x in option C), then
LHS--> |5-2| - |5-3| = |3|-|2| = 3-2 = 1
RHS--> |5-5| = |0| = 0

In this case LHS is not equal to RHS i.e. how can 1 equals 0

How can C be the correct option if it contains one value which does not satisfy the equation.

Waiting for reply
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2136 [5]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
fameatop wrote:
EvaJager wrote:
imhimanshu wrote:

|x-2|-|x-3|=|x-5|

(A) {-6, -5, 0, 1, 7, 8}
(C) {-4, 0, 1, 4, 5, 6}
(E) {-2, -1, 1, 3, 4, 5}

Thanks
H

Answer C

Hi Eva,

If i am not wrong then x will take any value which can satisfy this modulus equation |x-2|-|x-3|=|x-5| i.e. LHS = RHS
RHS--> |5-5| = |0| = 0

How can C be the correct option if it contains one value which does not satisfy the equation.

Waiting for reply

The question reads "Which of the following sets includes ALL of the solutions of x that will satisfy the equation" it doesn't say that all the elements of the set are solutions of the given equation. When solving, you can find that there are exactly two values only which are solutions: 4 and 6. And they are both included only in the set of answer C.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618809 [7]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
fameatop wrote:
EvaJager wrote:
imhimanshu wrote:

|x-2|-|x-3|=|x-5|

(A) {-6, -5, 0, 1, 7, 8}
(C) {-4, 0, 1, 4, 5, 6}
(E) {-2, -1, 1, 3, 4, 5}

Thanks
H

Answer C

Hi Eva,

RHS--> |5-5| = |0| = 0

Waiting for reply

We need the set that INCLUDES all the solutions (which are 4 and 6), it's not necessary that all numbers of the set to satisfy the equation. Only option C contains all of the solutions, so C is the correct answer.

Hope it's clear.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 131 [0]
Given Kudos: 183
Send PM
EvaJager wrote:
imhimanshu wrote:

|x-2|-|x-3|=|x-5|

(A) {-6, -5, 0, 1, 7, 8}
(C) {-4, 0, 1, 4, 5, 6}
(E) {-2, -1, 1, 3, 4, 5}

Thanks
H

Answer C

Hi,

Please explain in detail why x cannot be smaller than 3... I am not able to understand this.

thanks
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2136 [0]
Send PM
abhi398 wrote:
EvaJager wrote:
imhimanshu wrote:

|x-2|-|x-3|=|x-5|

(A) {-6, -5, 0, 1, 7, 8}
(C) {-4, 0, 1, 4, 5, 6}
(E) {-2, -1, 1, 3, 4, 5}

Thanks
H

Answer C

Hi,

Please explain in detail why x cannot be smaller than 3... I am not able to understand this.

thanks

The equation is \(|x-2|=|x-3|+|x-5|.\)
Draw the number line and place 2, 3 and 5 on it.
If \(x\) is between 2 and 3, the distance between \(x\) and 2, which is \(|x-2|,\) is less than 1, while the distance between \(x\) and 5, which is \(|x-5|,\) is greater than 2. So, the left hand side is for sure less than the right hand side of the equality.
If \(x\) is less than 2, the distance between \(x\) and 2 is the smallest, is both less than distance between \(x\) and 3 and less than the distance between \(x\) and 5. Again, equality cannot hold.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64900 [0]
Send PM
Which of the following sets includes ALL of the solutions of [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Usually, plugging in numbers will be the best option but things are a little complicated here. Let me point out one thing:

"Which of the following sets includes ALL of the solutions of x that will satisfy the equation: ?" means you need to find ALL the solutions and some members of the set may not be a solution. So say, you check for 8 and see that it doesn't satisfy the equation, it doesn't mean that options (A) and (D) are out of the running. It may be one of the numbers which do not satisfy the equation but the set (A) or (D) may still contain all the solutions. With a lot of different numbers, it could get confusing and complicated.

Anyway, it all depends on your comfort with the various methods.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1111 [0]
Given Kudos: 73
Concentration: Finance
Schools: HEC '15 (A)
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
Send PM
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:

This equation tells you the following: x is a point whose distance from 2 is equal to the sum of its distance from 3 and its distance from 5. Plot the 3 points on the number line and run through the 4 regions.

Attachment:
Ques3.jpg

Green: For every point to the left of 2, the distance of the point from 2 is less than the distance from 3. So there is no way any point here will satisfy the equation. Distance of x from 2 will always be less than the sum of distances from 3 and 5.

Blue: Between 2 and 3, 3 is farthest from 2 i.e. at a distance of 1 but 5 is at a distance of 2 from 3. So again, no point here can satisfy the equation. Distance of x from 2 will still be less than the sum of distances from 3 and 5.

Black: Now we are going a little farther from 2 and toward 5 so there might be a point where distance from 2 is equal to sum of distances from 3 and 5. Check what happens at 4. You see that 4 satisfies the equation. At 4, the distance of x from 2 is equal to the sum of distances from 3 and 5. After 4, distance of x from 2 will be more than the sum of distances from 3 and 5 till we reach 5.

Red: After 5, as x moves to the right, its distance from 3 as well as 5 increases. So it is possible that the distance of x from 2 is again equal to the sum of distances from 3 and 5. At 5, x is 3 units away from 2 and 2 units away from 3 and 5 together. Check what happens at 6. At 6, x is 4 away from 2 and 4 away from 3 and 5 together. Hence 6 satisfies too. As you move one step to the right of 6, distance from 2 increases by 1 unit and distance from 3 and 5 together increases by 2 units. So the distances will never be the same again.

I didnt get this part at all :cry:
I am sorry, could you please elaborate a bit more, or give a link regarding this method ?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64900 [1]
Send PM
Which of the following sets includes ALL of the solutions of [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
LalaB wrote:

This equation tells you the following: x is a point whose distance from 2 is equal to the sum of its distance from 3 and its distance from 5. Plot the 3 points on the number line and run through the 4 regions.

Attachment:
Ques3.jpg

Green: For every point to the left of 2, the distance of the point from 2 is less than the distance from 3. So there is no way any point here will satisfy the equation. Distance of x from 2 will always be less than the sum of distances from 3 and 5.

Blue: Between 2 and 3, 3 is farthest from 2 i.e. at a distance of 1 but 5 is at a distance of 2 from 3. So again, no point here can satisfy the equation. Distance of x from 2 will still be less than the sum of distances from 3 and 5.

Black: Now we are going a little farther from 2 and toward 5 so there might be a point where distance from 2 is equal to sum of distances from 3 and 5. Check what happens at 4. You see that 4 satisfies the equation. At 4, the distance of x from 2 is equal to the sum of distances from 3 and 5. After 4, distance of x from 2 will be more than the sum of distances from 3 and 5 till we reach 5.

Red: After 5, as x moves to the right, its distance from 3 as well as 5 increases. So it is possible that the distance of x from 2 is again equal to the sum of distances from 3 and 5. At 5, x is 3 units away from 2 and 2 units away from 3 and 5 together. Check what happens at 6. At 6, x is 4 away from 2 and 4 away from 3 and 5 together. Hence 6 satisfies too. As you move one step to the right of 6, distance from 2 increases by 1 unit and distance from 3 and 5 together increases by 2 units. So the distances will never be the same again.

I didnt get this part at all :cry:
I am sorry, could you please elaborate a bit more, or give a link regarding this method ?

Check out the blog posts on the link given in my signature below.

Originally posted by KarishmaB on 22 Apr 2013, 22:39.
Last edited by KarishmaB on 17 Oct 2022, 00:22, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 565 [0]
Given Kudos: 134
Send PM
Why can we not plug in the answer choices into the question stem to solve that way?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4891 [0]
Given Kudos: 219
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
WholeLottaLove wrote:
Why can we not plug in the answer choices into the question stem to solve that way?

You can, but you have to be extremely cautious. (and the process would be quite time counsiming)

The question asks for ALL the solutions, even if a statement gives you valid options, you cannot be 100% sure that they are ALL the possible options.
Tutor
Send PM
Expert Reply
WholeLottaLove wrote:
Looking at |x-2|-|x-3|=|x-5|

in Answer C, one of the choices is 5. So, plugging five in |x-2|-|x-3|=|x-5| gets:

|5-2|-|5-3|=|5-5|

|3|-|2|=|0|

3-2=0

That appears to be incorrect.

Read the question carefully again:

You need to find the set that includes ALL the solutions. The set needn't have ONLY the solutions.

The solution set for x is 4 and 6.
The only set that includes both 4 and 6 is (C)

Note that (C) has other elements as well but it doesn't matter. It is the only set that INCLUDES all the solutions. And that is the reason why number plugging can be exhausting.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 565 [0]
Given Kudos: 134
Send PM

|x-2|-|x-3|=|x-5|

Three checkpoints: 2, 3 and 5 meaning there are four ranges to test:

x<2, 2<x<3, 3<x<5, x>5

x<2: -(x-2) - -(x-3) = -(x-5) (-x+2) - (-x+3) = (-x+5) -x+2 +x-3 = -x+5 x=6 INVALID as 6 doesn't fall within the range of x<2

2<x<3: (x-2) - -(x-3) = -(x-5) (x-2) - (-x+3) = (-x+5) x-2 + x-3 = -x+5 3x=10 x=10/3 INVALID as 10/3 does not fall within the range of 2<x<3

3<x<5: (x-2) - (x-3)= -(x-5) x-2 -x+3 =-x+5 x=4 VALID as 4 falls in the range of 3<x<5

x>5: (x-2) - (x-3) = (x-5) x-2-x+3 = x-5 x=6 VALID as x falls within the range of x>5

(A) {-6, -5, 0, 1, 7, 8}
(C) {-4, 0, 1, 4, 5, 6}
(E) {-2, -1, 1, 3, 4, 5}

The only answer choice with both valid answers (x=4, x=6) is (C)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
WholeLottaLove wrote:

Idk why plugging in answers doesnt work. When I first saw this question, I started plugging in the numbers from the left of the sets in the answer choices and clearly none of the -ve values work.

So I just started plugging in the values from the right and luckily only Option C worked.

So I got the correct answer but I think I spent more than 2 minutes by using brute force method.

Maybe I am not understanding the exact meaning of the question, but from what I understand, all the values in each of the sets should meet the requirements of the problem. I know GMAT problems are desgined to trick you, but I think the phrasing of the question here is debatable and I think GMAT questions usually dont leave room for interpretations.

just IMO.
Please correct me
Tutor
Send PM
Expert Reply
jjack0310 wrote:
WholeLottaLove wrote:

Idk why plugging in answers doesnt work. When I first saw this question, I started plugging in the numbers from the left of the sets in the answer choices and clearly none of the -ve values work.

So I just started plugging in the values from the right and luckily only Option C worked.

So I got the correct answer but I think I spent more than 2 minutes by using brute force method.

Maybe I am not understanding the exact meaning of the question, but from what I understand, all the values in each of the sets should meet the requirements of the problem. I know GMAT problems are desgined to trick you, but I think the phrasing of the question here is debatable and I think GMAT questions usually dont leave room for interpretations.

just IMO.
Please correct me

Ok, so how did you plug in? I an ignoring options (A) and (B) and focusing on just (C)

Option (C) {-4, 0, 1, 4, 5, 6}

|x-2|-|x-3|=|x-5|
You put x = -4. It didn't satisfy
You put x = 0. It didn't satisfy
You put x = 1. It didn't satisfy
You put x = 4. It satisfied
You put x = 5. It didn't satisfy
You put x = 6. It satisfied

How can you say there is no other value of x that satisfies this equation?
How can you say that all solutions of this equation are included in (C)?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM

Ok, so how did you plug in? I an ignoring options (A) and (B) and focusing on just (C)

Option (C) {-4, 0, 1, 4, 5, 6}

|x-2|-|x-3|=|x-5|
You put x = -4. It didn't satisfy
You put x = 0. It didn't satisfy
You put x = 1. It didn't satisfy
You put x = 4. It satisfied
You put x = 5. It didn't satisfy
You put x = 6. It satisfied

How can you say there is no other value of x that satisfies this equation?
How can you say that all solutions of this equation are included in (C)?

Calm down. Dont get excited.

I meant I plugged in all the values in all the options (a,b,c,d and e)
Option C had two values that satisfy the equations and the other options didnt have two values. So I just went with C and got the correct answer. I did say I got lucky - maybe/maybe not.

"How can you say that all solutions of this equation are included in (C)"

lol Pretty ironic - all solutions

Precisely my point that the wordings of this problem can be easily misinterpreted. Just like you did mine.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
Math Expert
92900 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts