Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 11:06 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 11:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Official Business School Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [2]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: General Management
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Send PM
Re: Ask Tuck at Dartmouth Admissions [#permalink]
Thanks

Originally posted by eragotte on 30 Aug 2012, 10:22.
Last edited by eragotte on 02 Aug 2013, 07:05, edited 1 time in total.
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
eragotte wrote:
First, thanks for doing this; I look forward to a response.

I was originally planning to apply to Tuck for r1 this year, but instead elected to spend an extra year at work with a promotion looming and 36 months’ work experience looking a little low compared to Tuck’s average. Tuck is my number one choice, and it is not even close. Tuck will likely be the only American school I apply to in September 2013. I am looking to position myself to receive as large a scholarship as possible.

How many full-tuition scholarships does Tuck give out each year?
Does Tuck look for anything different (merit-wise) for scholarships than it does for acceptance?
How can I improve my profile in the next year before applying to increase my chances of both scholarship and acceptance?

Profile at time of application:

WE: 4 years of progressive work experience (1 year Management Training, 1 Year Analyst, 1 year Internal Strategy Consultant, 1 Year Manager), top reviews throughout
GMAT: 750
GPA: 3.7 from top Canadian Business program
Competitive athlete
Lots of leadership experience, moderate community involvement

Thanks!

Hi Eragotte! Thanks for your question - we're excited to be on GMAT Club! The number of scholarships we grant varies year to year. The criteria we use for selecting scholarship recipients does not differ from the admissions criteria. If yoiu are interested in a scholarship, it is critical that you complete the scholarship application by the deadline for the round in which you are applying.
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Send PM
DefyingGravity wrote:
TUck's MBA admissions represent a holistic process. However, undergraduate performance is an important factor in evaluating a candidate's potential at Tuck. What actions does Tuck specifically recommend to overcome a low GPA?

Like you mention, your application is viewed holistically. That being said, though there is no formula for admittance, you may compensate in other areas, such as your GMAT score. If you’re worried about your quant ability or showcasing your quant abilities, taking additional courses such as financial accounting, statistics or econ can help. Finally, you may want to find room in your essays (perhaps the optional essay) to explain why your undergraduate GPA is lower than you would like.
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Injuin wrote:
Does wage influence your decision on work experience? I am a quality assurance manager at a small company so I make less, if not the same, as some entry level chemists at a larger laboratory. Does this mean that my experience as a quality assurance manager is weighed less than a quality assurance manager from a larger company?

Wage is not a factor in the work experience component or anywhere else during our decision making process. It's your experiences, skills and goals that will be considered.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello,

I am currently a NJ resident attending an online business school (Jones International University) while working to help pay for it. I am a third-year student entering my fourth year in the Spring of 2013, as I had already completed my Associate's Degree from a local Community College. I spent 5-years working self-employed and decided to finish my degree (I am now 25, and will be 27 upon graduation). I am currently earning a 4.0 GPA making Dean's List after the first semester. I am also currently studying for my GMAT, scoring 700+ on every practice exam I have taken so far.

My academic pedigree is realistically, putting it lightly, less than stellar. Community College and then an Online Business School is far from impressive compared to many applicants to top MBA programs. Even having a 4.0 GPA, is this still frowned upon for admissions? Will it negatively affect my chances of being accepted?

Thank you for your time.

Best regards,

Steve Hunter
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Kudos
Hi,

Thanks for doing this. I am aware how much Tuck emphasizes visiting Hanover, but what does Tuck recommend International Students (who can't visit). How can we substitute the experience of visiting (maybe substitute isn't the best word)?
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
malk1 wrote:
Hi,

Thanks for doing this. I am aware how much Tuck emphasizes visiting Hanover, but what does Tuck recommend International Students (who can't visit). How can we substitute the experience of visiting (maybe substitute isn't the best word)?

Hi, thanks for the post, great question. You're right in the fact that nothing will completely take the place of a visit to campus, but there are definitely ways to get to know us. The Admissions Team travels all over the world hosting informational sessions and when possible include alumni as well. Follow this link to see where we'll be and sign-up for an event; https://www.tuck.dartmouth.edu/admission ... -an-event/. On that note, any time you can connect with a Tuck alum or current student you'll get great insight into our MBA program, the Tuck community and answers to all your pressing questions! Tuck Connections will be up and running soon and matches prospects based on a series of questions; https://www.tuck.dartmouth.edu/admission ... n-up-form/. You're also welcome to reach out to club leaders in whichever areas interest you; https://www.tuck.dartmouth.edu/mba/life- ... ctivities/. Finally, the Admissions Blog is a low-key way to peek inside the life of a Tuckie; https://tuckschool.blogspot.com/.

Hope this helped!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Kudos
Thanks for the great reply!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GPA: 4
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Dear Tuck,

I understand you don't admit people with existing MBA degrees, but do consider applications from people holding a "similar" degree. I have a PGDM from Indian Institute of Management. Can I apply?

Thanks
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Send PM
Angelwrath wrote:
Dear Tuck,

I understand you don't admit people with existing MBA degrees, but do consider applications from people holding a "similar" degree. I have a PGDM from Indian Institute of Management. Can I apply?

Thanks

We'll consider your application, but we view a PGDM as being very close to an MBA. Please explain very clearly why your degree is different from an MBA and why he needs an MBA in addition to your PGDM to reach your goals. Thanks for the question!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
I have been searching your website for quite some time. What is the name of your program, if available, that you use to help prepare people that are from a different field? Stern has the summer start program, Tepper has the base camp, Tuck has...?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Dear Tuck,

Having accept a new job in August I've decided to wait until I finished my first cicle of projects before considering my application for this year. Having passed that I feel like this would be the right year for me. My boss have agreed and will support me on that decision.
I have a good GMAT (720) and good GPA (3,5) and 4 year of sucessful full time job.

Having that said i'm concerned about the polices of the schools for 3 round international applicants. Does tuck accept foreign students at all for 3 round or are chances too remote to take that risk?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi,

I am a university student from Canada and my school uses a 4.33 GPA scale.
My understanding is each school has its own specific scales. I am wondering what is the proper way of converting my GPA to one that is comparable and appropriate for Tuck? Is there a guideline somewhere?

Thank you.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Tuck, I have queriy related to Sept take 2014 21 months regular program MBA

For an Indian male applicant of age 30 ,average academics(10th-70% ,12th- 63% Graduation-60%) and having work experience of 73 months with GMAT score 750 for such an applicant who is interested to apply for Tuck MBA program how much scholarship can be expected?[if at all his form is accepted]

For such an applicant whose acads are average should i consider that chances are bleak for an applicant with average acads as mentioned above to get a call.

Thanks And Regards
ankit!
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4054 [0]
Given Kudos: 156
Send PM
Hi Tuck Adcom,
Could you please provide me some detail information on the big Real Estate companies in US,recruiting from Tuck...?

What is the average package for these firms for fresh Tuck grads in US?
What is the reasonable and expected salary growth 3-5 years down the line with these firms?
How do your see the growth prospects of these firms and career growth with them for Tuck grads?

Any feedback is highly appreciated.

Much thanks!
Best,
Deb.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4054 [0]
Given Kudos: 156
Send PM
debayan222 wrote:
Hi Tuck Adcom,
Could you please provide me some detail information on the big Real Estate companies in US,recruiting from Tuck...?

What is the average package for these firms for fresh Tuck grads in US?
What is the reasonable and expected salary growth 3-5 years down the line with these firms?
How do your see the growth prospects of these firms and career growth with them for Tuck grads?

Any feedback is highly appreciated.

Much thanks!
Best,
Deb.

Tuck Team,
Could you please shed some lights on the above...?

Eagerly awaiting your feedback on this..!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Sustainability, General Management
GPA: 3.2
WE:Consulting (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Hi,

Is TOEFL score mandatory for applying to Tuck? I took the test back in 2011 scoring 115. But I guess that will not be valid while applying this year. I am from India.

Please reply.

Thanks,
Venkitaraman.S
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6919 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts