Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 07:46 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 07:46

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 256 [256]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618744 [89]
Given Kudos: 81587
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2136 [41]
Given Kudos: 43
WE:Science (Education)
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2330 [33]
Given Kudos: 135
Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: IIMA (A)
GMAT Focus 1:
735 Q90 V85 DI85
GMAT Focus 2:
735 Q90 V85 DI85
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V47
GRE 1: Q170 V168
Send PM
Re: Speed Time Distance DS question [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
EvaJager wrote:
EvaJager wrote:
deepakrobi wrote:
Can somebody please explain the answer? i am having hard time solving it.
Reiko drove from point A to point B at a constant speed, and then returned to A along the same route at a different constant speed. Did Reiko travel from A to B at a speed greater than 40 miles per hour?

(1) Reiko's average speed for the entire round trip, excluding the time spent at point B, was 80 miles per hour.

(2) It took Reiko 20 more minutes to drive from A to B than to make the return trip.

Statement (1) ALONE is sufficient, but statement (2) alone is not sufficient.

Statement (2) ALONE is sufficient, but statement (1) alone is not sufficient.

Both statements TOGETHER are sufficient, but NEITHER one ALONE is sufficient.

EACH statement ALONE is sufficient.

Statements (1) and (2) TOGETHER are NOT sufficient.

Denote by \(D\) the distance between A and B, and by \(S_1\) and \(S_2\) the speeds when traveling from A to B and from B to A, respectively.

(1) The average speed is the total distance divided by the total time, which in our case, translates into the following equation:

\(\frac{2D}{\frac{D}{S_1}+\frac{D}{S_2}}=80\) or \(\, \, \, \, \frac{S_{1}S_{2}}{S_{1}+S_{2}}=40\)

Since \(\frac{S_{2}}{S_{1}+S_{2}}<1,\) it follows that \(40=\frac{S_{1}S_{2}}{S_{1}+S_{2}}<S_1.\)

Sufficient.

(2) Obviously not sufficient.

Answer A

It seems maybe counter-intuitive, but if you want to travel a given distance at a certain average speed, you cannot travel half of the distance at an average speed not greater than half of that final average speed. Doesn't matter if you travel with the speed of light the other half of the distance, you will not be able to make up for the slow other half. The algebra above proves it.

Does anyone have an intuitive explanation for this?

I understood it this way. If I want my average speed to be, say, x for the entire journey and have covered the half the journey at an average speed less than x/2, then I have already taken more time to cover half the journey than the time needed to cover the entire journey. So, my average speed cannot remain x (has to be less than x).

To say that in numbers, suppose I went on a 200km journey intending to cover at an average speed of 50km/hr (means a time of 4 hours to cover the journey) and I covered the first half i.e. 100km at an average speed less than 25km/hr, which means I have already taken more than 4 hours. So, my total time for the journey cannot be 4 hours. So, my average speed has to be less than 50km/hr.

Hope it helps.

CJ
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64894 [32]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Re: Reiko drove from point A to point B at a constant speed, and [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
jordanshl wrote:
I kind of agree with the dissenters that it cannot be A.

If his average round trip was 80mph then it could have taken 30mph and 130mph meaning that the first leg was less than 30mph
It could also be 60 and 100 meaning he did it faster than 40

in sufficient

What you missed to note is that avg of 30 mph and 130 mph is 80 mph when he travels at the two speeds for the same TIME.
If someone travels at two speeds for the same amount of time, say an hr at one speed and an hr at another speed, then the average speed is (Speed1 + Speed 2)/2

Here, the case is different. The two speeds are for the same distance. He travels at Speed1 from A to B and at Speed2 from B to A (distance in the two cases are same, time taken would be different). So here, the avg is not (Speed1 + Speed 2)/2.

If D is the distance from A to B,
Avg Speed = 2D/(D/Speed1 + D/Speed2) = Total distance/Total time

Avg Speed = 2*Speed1*Speed2/(Speed1 + Speed2) (this is the avg when one travels for the same distance)

Now, what happens if one of the speeds is half the avg speed?
Say avg speed was 80 mph. Say distance from A to B is 80 miles. Since avg speed for to and fro journey is 80 mph, we need 2 hrs to cover the journey. Now, what happens when the speed while going from A to B is 40 mph? He takes 2 hrs to go from A to B i.e. the entire time allotted for the return trip has gotten used up on the first leg of the journey itself. Of course, it doesn't matter what your speed is in the second leg, you will take more than 2 hrs for the entire journey and hence your avg speed will be less than 80 mph.
Hence, in any one leg, your speed cannot be less than half the average.

If you want to see it algebraically,

From above, A = 2*S1*S2/(S1 + S2)
If S1 = A/2,

A = 2*(A/2)*S2/(A/2 + S2)
S2 = A/2 + S2

There is no value of S2 which will satisfy this equation.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 152 [26]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V42
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Statement (1):
Let's say, the distance between A and B is 80 miles. It doesn't matter, what distance we assume in statement 1.

The whole trip (160 miles) took 2 hours.
If his speed from A to B was NOT greater than 40 miles per hour, he would have needed at least 2 hours just to get from A to B. But we are told that after 2 hours he had already finished the complete trip, so there is no time left to get from B to A. Thus, his speed from A to B must have been greater than 40 miles per hour. --> sufficient

Or, with a little more math:
t_1 + t_2 = t
Time must be positive, therefore: t_1 < t
t_1 = distance / speed_1 = d / s_1
t = 2 * distance / speed = 2 * d / 80 = d / 40
d / s_1 < d / 40
s_1 > 40

Statement (2):
Speed = Distance / Time
This doesn't tell us anything about the distance between A and B, only about the time.
Not sufficient
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2136 [15]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
EvaJager wrote:
deepakrobi wrote:
Can somebody please explain the answer? i am having hard time solving it.
Reiko drove from point A to point B at a constant speed, and then returned to A along the same route at a different constant speed. Did Reiko travel from A to B at a speed greater than 40 miles per hour?

(1) Reiko's average speed for the entire round trip, excluding the time spent at point B, was 80 miles per hour.

(2) It took Reiko 20 more minutes to drive from A to B than to make the return trip.

Statement (1) ALONE is sufficient, but statement (2) alone is not sufficient.

Statement (2) ALONE is sufficient, but statement (1) alone is not sufficient.

Both statements TOGETHER are sufficient, but NEITHER one ALONE is sufficient.

EACH statement ALONE is sufficient.

Statements (1) and (2) TOGETHER are NOT sufficient.

Denote by \(D\) the distance between A and B, and by \(S_1\) and \(S_2\) the speeds when traveling from A to B and from B to A, respectively.

(1) The average speed is the total distance divided by the total time, which in our case, translates into the following equation:

\(\frac{2D}{\frac{D}{S_1}+\frac{D}{S_2}}=80\) or \(\, \, \, \, \frac{S_{1}S_{2}}{S_{1}+S_{2}}=40\)

Since \(\frac{S_{2}}{S_{1}+S_{2}}<1,\) it follows that \(40=\frac{S_{1}S_{2}}{S_{1}+S_{2}}<S_1.\)

Sufficient.

(2) Obviously not sufficient.

Answer A

It seems maybe counter-intuitive, but if you want to travel a given distance at a certain average speed, you cannot travel half of the distance at an average speed not greater than half of that final average speed. Doesn't matter if you travel with the speed of light the other half of the distance, you will not be able to make up for the slow other half. The algebra above proves it.

Does anyone have an intuitive explanation for this?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [4]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
Kudos

If his average round trip was 80mph then it could have taken 30mph and 130mph meaning that the first leg was less than 30mph
It could also be 60 and 100 meaning he did it faster than 40

in sufficient
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2136 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
jordanshl wrote:

It could also be 60 and 100
- NO!!! meaning he did it faster than 40

in sufficient

The average speed is not the average of the speeds. See the formula in the above post:

reiko-drove-from-point-a-to-point-b-at-a-constant-speed-and-138183.html#p1117785
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 596 [2]
Given Kudos: 82
Send PM
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:
sanjoo wrote:
Bunuell... can u explain this??

Thank u in advance

Say the distance from A to B is \(d\) miles.

(1) Reiko's average speed for the entire round trip, excluding the time spent at point B, was 80 miles per hour -->\(average \ speed=\frac{total \ distance}{total \ time}=\frac{2d}{total \ time}=80\) --> \(total \ time=\frac{d}{40}\). Now, since the time from A to B must be less than the total time (less than \(\frac{d}{40}\)), then Reiko's speed from A to B is \(speed=\frac{distance}{time}=\frac{d}{less \ than \ \frac{d}{40}}=\frac{1}{less \ than \ \frac{1}{40}}>40\) (for example if Reiko's speed from A to B is d/50, so less than d/40, then her speed from A to B is \(\frac{d}{(\frac{d}{50})}=50>40\)). Sufficient.

(2) It took Reiko 20 more minutes to drive from A to B than to make the return trip. Not sufficient.

Answer: A.

Hope it's clear.

will it not take more than 2 mints to solve?

+1 Bunuel..!! i always luk for ur solution ..:D

Thanks alot..i got it now
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2136 [5]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
chiranjeev12 wrote:

I understood it this way. If I want my average speed to be, say, x for the entire journey and have covered the half the journey at an average speed less than x/2, then I have already taken more time to cover half the journey than the time needed to cover the entire journey. So, my average speed cannot remain x (has to be less than x).

To say that in numbers, suppose I went on a 200km journey intending to cover at an average speed of 50km/hr (means a time of 4 hours to cover the journey) and I covered the first half i.e. 100km at an average speed less than 25km/hr, which means I have already taken more than 4 hours. So, my total time for the journey cannot be 4 hours. So, my average speed has to be less than 50km/hr.

Hope it helps.

CJ

Great explanation!

Which reminds me to try to keep things (algebra inclusive :O) as simple as possible.
So, we don't have to go back to the complicated average speed formula.
I should have done the following:

If the distance is D, average speed is A, the time needed to cover the distance is T = D/A.
Then, the time needed to cover half the distance D/2 with an average speed of A/2 is (D/2)/(A/2) = 2D/2A = T.
So, we have already eaten up all our time T on the first half of the journey, nothing left. Therefore, we cannot finish the total D with an average speed A, but with one less than A.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
WE:Sales (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
i did understand the explainations given but doesnt the question tell us to take into account the time spent at Point B ? what about that ?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618744 [0]
Given Kudos: 81587
Send PM
Expert Reply
IvyLeague56 wrote:
i did understand the explainations given but doesnt the question tell us to take into account the time spent at Point B ? what about that ?

The question asks: "did Reiko travel from A to B at a speed greater than 40 miles per hour?" Nothing about time spent at point B.

Next, (1) says: "Reiko's average speed for the entire round trip, excluding the time spent at point B, was 80 miles per hour". So, we can ignore the time spent at point B.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 565 [0]
Given Kudos: 134
Send PM

Here is the way I understand it. Please correct me if I am wrong!!

Reiko drives the same distance each way. The average of two speeds is only valid if the two speeds are traveled for the same time. We're not talking about time here we are talking about distance. Lets say he drives one speed from A to B and a much faster speed from B to A. He may have moved faster but because he covered the same distance at a higher speed he did so in less time throwing the average off. When looking at equal distances, the average speed of half of the distance (either from A to B or from B to A) cannot be less than one half of the total average speed (i.e. 80 MPH.) In other words, he must have traveled at least 40MPH for both legs of the trip.
SUFFICIENT

I am still having difficultly understanding the algebra for this problem. Could someone explain it to me?

Thanks!
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64894 [8]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos