Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 21:25 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 21:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 925 [15]
Given Kudos: 47
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.88
WE:Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [1]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT Date: 04-21-2013
GPA: 4
WE:Information Technology (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618624 [3]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 596 [0]
Given Kudos: 82
Send PM
Re: If x, y and z are distinct prime numbers, how many positive factors do [#permalink]
nice question !!

its A..

(z+1) (z+1)
GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 1430 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Leadership, Organizational Behavior
Send PM
Re: If x, y and z are distinct prime numbers, how many positive factors do [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
As with many GMAT Quant questions, this problem is easier than it looks if you know how to identify the leverage embedded in the problem. It's not just about the math. Remember: while the GMAT might structure its problems around Quant and Verbal principles, the GMAT is primarily a critical-thinking test. So, for those of you studying for the GMAT, you will want to internalize solid strategies that help you to identify and solve entire classes of questions. Pattern recognition is key.

In this case, the words "distinct" and "prime" drastically limit the number of possibilities. We can use this to our advantage. If a number is "distinct", this means it is unique from all the other possible numbers. A "prime" number has only two positive factors: \(1\) (which is a factor of every integer regardless of the number) and itself.

The target of the question also makes this problem easier. We are only asked to figure out "how many positive factors does \((xy)^z\) have?" (instead of "what are the positive factors \((xy)^z\)?".) This is a large distinction. After all, prime numbers are incredibly limited in the number of factors they can have! (Incidentally, for those that want an equation: for \(N=x^a∗y^b∗z^c\), where \(x\), \(y\), and \(z\) are distinct prime factors of \(N\), the number of factors of \(N\) will be calculated by the expression \((a+1)(b+1)(c+1)\).)

Statement #1 tells us that \(z=5\). While we don't know what \(x\) or \(y\) is, we know they are "distinct primes", which means that \(xy\) can only have \(4\) factors: \(1\), \(x\), \(y\), and \(xy\). But if we know this, then we also know that multiplying \(xy\) by itself \(5\) times will also result in a specific, finite number of factor combinations. Of course, we can count them out. Of course, we can plug them into an equation. But this is Data Sufficiency. "Minimize Your Math." As soon as we realize the information given us will result in one -- and only one -- answer, we can stop doing the problem. We don't even need to know the ANSWER to the question stem. We just need to know that there will be only one answer. Since we know the math WILL resolve to a single answer, we don't need to calculate what that answer is. Statement #1 is sufficient.

Statement #2 can be broken by a strategy I call "Easy Numbers." If you can invent some easy numbers that follow the rules of the problem but that give you different answers to the question, then the statement is insufficient. Statement #2 says that "\(x+y = 10\)." One possibility for \(x\) and \(y\) would be \(x=3\) and \(y=7\), making \(xy=21\). But if we don't know how many times we would be multiplying \(21\) by itself (in other words, if we don't know \(z\)), there would be no way to conclusively determine the number of possible factors. \(21^z\) could be infinitely large with an infinite number of factors. We can stop as soon as we realize that there are two or more options. Statement #2 is insufficient.

Since Statement #1 is sufficient and Statement #2 is insufficient, the answer is A.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92883 posts