Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:47 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1528 [40]
Given Kudos: 46
Concentration: Accounting
GMAT Date: 04-06-2013
GPA: 3.65
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618870 [24]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64907 [19]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
General Discussion
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618870 [1]
Send PM
Re: The ratio of cupcakes to children at a particular birthday [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Bumping for review and further discussion*. Get a kudos point for an alternative solution!

*New project from GMAT Club!!! Check HERE

All Must or Could be True Questions to practice: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=193
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [3]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
7 children eat 7x cupcakes.Let Z be the no. of cupcakes left, less than 7
7x+ z=104 7x=104-z. Now, 104-z must be more than 97 and must be divisible by 7, it can be only 98
7x=98+6 6 cupcakes left, so it is a multiplier of 2 and 3.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
What is being asked is what is the remainder and its factors.

Given that 104 is not a multiple of 7 AND given that the proportionality of the ratio will be kept (unless otherwise stated), no matter which (f) factor you apply:
You can express the ratio as a division with remainder (it is stated in the problem that R(f)<7(f)) to account for all the cupcacakes:

\(104(f)=7x(f) + R(f)\)
\(104(f)=7(14)(f) + 6(f)\)

The remainder is 6(f), so it must be a multiple of 2 and 3, no matter by which (f) the R (and the entire ratio) is multiplied. You can substitute the (f) for other numbers and 6 and (f) are, obviously, the factors of the remainder.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 142 [0]
Given Kudos: 71
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT 3: 710 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.16
WE:Consulting (Venture Capital)
Send PM
0<=104y-7xy<7y
0<=104-7x<7
13 6/7<x<=14 6/7
x=14

Uneaten:
104-7(14)=6 (mult. of 3 and 2, so D)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Is it also correct to just do it like this:

Assuming that each kid eats the exact same amount of cupcakes just pick any number. So any multiple of 7 can be taken away from 104, i took 14 (each kid eats 2). 90 is only divisible by 2 and 3 not by seven.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64907 [3]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
JoostGrijsen wrote:

Assuming that each kid eats the exact same amount of cupcakes just pick any number. So any multiple of 7 can be taken away from 104, i took 14 (each kid eats 2). 90 is only divisible by 2 and 3 not by seven.

One additional condition is that number of leftover cupcakes must be less than the number of kids. So 90 leftover cupcakes is not correct. But even if we ignore this condition, note that 90 is divisible by 2 and 3 but not by 7 so we can say that 7 is certainly out. But can we say that in every case, the leftover cupcakes WILL BE divisible by 2 and 3? Not necessary!

Check my solution above which assumes values but uses logic at the end to ensure that it will hold in every case and hence must be true: the-ratio-of-cupcakes-to-children-at-a-particular-birthday-143833.html#p1332088
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 217
Send PM
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
JoostGrijsen wrote:

One additional condition is that number of leftover cupcakes must be less than the number of kids. So 90 leftover cupcakes is not correct. But even if we ignore this condition, note that 90 is divisible by 2 and 3 but not by 7 so we can say that 7 is certainly out. But can we say that in every case, the leftover cupcakes WILL BE divisible by 2 and 3? Not necessary!

Check my solution above which assumes values but uses logic at the end to ensure that it will hold in every case and hence must be true: the-ratio-of-cupcakes-to-children-at-a-particular-birthday-143833.html#p1332088

I still don't understand why it can't also be a multiple of 7? And hence why the answer can't be E instead of D. Please explain?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618870 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
kooks123 wrote:
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
JoostGrijsen wrote:

I still don't understand why it can't also be a multiple of 7? And hence why the answer can't be E instead of D. Please explain?

Check this first: the-ratio-of-cupcakes-to-children-at-a-particular-birthday-143833.html#p1152610

The question asks what MUST be true about the number of uneaten cupcakes? Not COULD be true. Thus, while the number of uneaten cupcakes COULD be a multiple of 7 (for example if k=7), it's not necessary to be (for example if k=1).

Hope it's clear.
RSM Erasmus Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1360 [0]
Given Kudos: 641
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Erasmus (II)
Send PM
The ratio of cupcakes to children at a particular birthday [#permalink]
mun23 wrote:
The ratio of cupcakes to children at a particular birthday party is 104 to 7. Each child at the birthday party eats exactly x cupcakes (where x is a positive integer) and the adults attending the birthday party do not eat anything. If the number of cupcakes that remain uneaten is less than the number of children at the birthday party, what must be true about the number of uneaten cupcakes?

I. It is a multiple of 2.
II. It is a multiple of 3.
III. It is a multiple of 7.

(A) I only
(B) II only
(C) III only
(D) I and II only
(E) I, II and III

Another approach is to use numbers and reasoning.

The less number to create the ratio

# Cupcakes (C)=104
# Children or kids (K) =7

C/k =104/7

After each kid has eaten x cupcakes the number left was less than # of kids. It means leftover (uneaten) is less than 7. It is between 1-6 cupcake.

Based on above we can eliminate choices C & E. 1 to 6 can't be multiple of 7

Now we need to work backward to find the number eaten by kids and the number should divide into 7. With sense of numbers 105 divides into 7. The next number divides into 7 is 98. We do not need to continue as uneaten cupcakes not huge.

Let uneaten cupcakes = 6
104 - 6 =98 ...........Hence the whole kids ate 98 cupcakes then each kid must have eaten x= 14 cupcakes

104- 5= 99.............x can't divide into 7

No need to continue till 1 as there is no number divides into 7 between 98 & 105

Hence uneaten cupcakes (6) should multiple of 2 & 3

Answer: D
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1561 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Send PM
The ratio of cupcakes to children at a particular birthday [#permalink]
mun23 wrote:
The ratio of cupcakes to children at a particular birthday party is 104 to 7. Each child at the birthday party eats exactly x cupcakes (where x is a positive integer) and the adults attending the birthday party do not eat anything. If the number of cupcakes that remain uneaten is less than the number of children at the birthday party, what must be true about the number of uneaten cupcakes?

(A) I only
(B) II only
(C) III only
(D) I and II only
(E) I, II and III

let x=14 cupcakes
7*14=98 cupcakes eaten
104-98=6 cupcakes uneaten
I and II only
D
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4096 [0]
Given Kudos: 242
Concentration: Sustainability, Marketing
GMAT Focus 1:
545 Q79 V79 DI73
GPA: 4
WE:Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
cupcakes/children = 104/7
given that
the number of cupcakes that remain uneaten is less than the number of children at the birthday party
max cupcakes that can be eaten has to be multiple of 7 <104 ; i.e 98 7*14
so left cupcakes = 6
which is multiple of 2 & 3
IMO D

mun23 wrote:

(A) I only
(B) II only
(C) III only
(D) I and II only
(E) I, II and III
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Isn't there a simple logic behind it, that the number of uneaten cupcakes is less then the number of children and the number of children will be a multiple of 7, hence it can be 7 too but can not be less than 7 since there is no possibility of having 0 children in the party. Therefore, the number of uneaten cupcakes can never be a multiple of 7 and can only be multiples of 2 or 3 or 5.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92901 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts